Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#9701 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 01:26 PM

Switched from paper grocery bags to plastic for takeout and the feedback has been awesome. About 1/5 the price too.

You just hate the earth don't you?  :lol:

• Matt R., todd, Love the rock and 2 others like this

#9702 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 02:00 PM

When this passes I will buy cups just to drop them on the ground.

Well it will be lose-lose for restaurants and coffee shops. If they try to increase a cup of coffee $.50 then revenue will decrease. If each item in your take out order now get a $1 surcharge then the same argument holds. 

What I don't get is if this is a war on plastics then why do biodegradable containers and cups still get penalized? 

• Matt R., Love the rock, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#9703 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 02:53 PM

We don't get take-out very often, but for something like Chinese food, it usually comes in an aluminum dish which we reuse time and time again to reheat things in the oven. How is this considered single-use? I am certainly not willing to pay more, not even ten cents more. 

• Barrrister likes this

#9704 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 October 2021 - 03:52 PM

For what it is worth you can have your say at engage.victoria.ca/reducesingleuse

What I found odd here is why the city feels it's important to tie the responses to a survey like this to things like gender identity, language and ethnicity.  

• mbjj, A Girl is No one and Barrrister like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9705 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 04:03 PM

Woke-ness rules at the CoV.

• Barrrister likes this

#9706 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 October 2021 - 06:26 PM

What I found odd here is why the city feels it's important to tie the responses to a survey like this to things like gender identity, language and ethnicity.  

The too-often-correct cynic in me says it's probably so that they can, if they want, throw out responses from certain demographics.

• Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and Barrrister like this

#9707 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 07:10 PM

What I don't get is if this is a war on plastics then why do biodegradable containers and cups still get penalized? 

If this is a war on plastics why don’t western governments acknowledge that 90% of the plastic in the ocean comes from Asia and Africa?  Three guesses.

• Nparker, A Girl is No one and Barrrister like this

#9708 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 09:38 PM

typical of Helps and some of the council... this city's restaurant industry has just been hit with some of it's hardest times ever over the last 2 years with the pandemic from complete closures, to take out only then limited table seating.... some of these places are only still alive due to the take out industry! and now Helps wants to penalize them and make them add surcharges to take out... to me this seems more of an attack on take out then "protecting the environment"  is she really going to make a pizza place charge an extra buck for the box that the pizza is put into that will not sit well, you can't really show up to a pizza hut buy a pizza and ask them to put it in tupperware

• A Girl is No one and Barrrister like this

#9709 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 10:48 PM

You just hate the earth don't you?  :lol:

I imagine the same people that demanded paper straws are ok with the plastic bags. Typical.

Matt.
  • Nparker and todd like this

#9710 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 07:31 AM

Switched from paper grocery bags to plastic for takeout and the feedback has been awesome. About 1/5 the price too.

Matt.

Plastic can make hot food soggy. I like the option plastic or paper.

Edited by todd, 21 October 2021 - 07:36 AM.

#9711 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 07:32 AM

Todd: You are supposed to take the plastic off BEFORE you eat it.

• rjag and Matt R. like this

#9712 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 07:37 AM

Todd: You are supposed to take the plastic off BEFORE you eat it.

Flavour.

#9713 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 07:40 AM

The blue bags taste best.

#9714 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 07:43 AM

The blue bags taste best.

Blueberry.
  • todd and Fox like this

#9715 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 10:28 AM

typical of Helps and some of the council... this city's restaurant industry has just been hit with some of it's hardest times ever over the last 2 years with the pandemic from complete closures, to take out only then limited table seating.... some of these places are only still alive due to the take out industry! and now Helps wants to penalize them and make them add surcharges to take out... to me this seems more of an attack on take out then "protecting the environment"  is she really going to make a pizza place charge an extra buck for the box that the pizza is put into that will not sit well, you can't really show up to a pizza hut buy a pizza and ask them to put it in tupperware

Take-out is inequitable. Must kill inequitable.

The bozos at City Hall probably think they are helping business by having them increase prices. 

#9716 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 11:20 AM

If I walk into a grocery store and buy a packaged meal (which comes in a plastic container) then it costs me nothing extra. If I walk across the street to the struggling small restaurant or cafe to get a meal then they will have to charge me a $1 extra. Makes sense.

• Mike K., rjag, sebberry and 6 others like this

#9717 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 21 October 2021 - 11:44 AM

Ever think that if more of those around that table had kids and a real job to go to, that maybe just maybe they'd think a little longer and a little harder about their various social engineering schemes? Maybe if they had to juggle getting kids to school/activities and getting to work, and feeding those kids and everything else, that maybe they'd think a bit more about adding more time demands to people who already have their time stretched thin. It's super easy to be super environmental when you only have to worry about meeting your own needs - take an extra 10 minutes getting to work, no problem! An additional load of laundry (for the reusable bags)? Who cares. One more load of dishes? No problemo. And if you don't have the time, they'll assume you have the money - 50cents per bag please, another 50 cents a cup/$1 per container - what's a quarter here, or there, when you've already been loonied to death on the parking. 

Further for a council concerned about equity - this seems really backwards. The charge is the same, whether it's McDonald's or Brasserie L'Ecole. A $1 surcharge on a $50 meal is one thing, but on a $5 happy meal? 

If they want to be progressive, they should temper their approach. Exempt those providing compostable containers from the surcharge - after all the goal is to reduce plastics in the landfill (laudable) - not kill our restaurant industry. 

While we're at it, can we please bring back something a bit more functional to grocery bags? Please. What I wouldn't give for a deposit system where you can pick up CLEAN grocery bags with handles, pay a deposit and get most of that deposit back (less 10cents) when you return/exchange the bag. I've discovered most of the "reusable" bags really do not perform well in the washing machine, which during the pandemic has meant that I'm really not keen on them.

• LJ, sebberry, mbjj and 3 others like this

#9718 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 01:09 PM

You are generously assuming that they are not orcs.

• Barrrister likes this

#9719 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 03:11 PM

When the reusable shopping bags came into being, we got so many free ones I now have three bags full. I'm going to be throwing some away soon, into the garbage, lol. I'm tired of the clutter. 

#9720 newbie_01

newbie_01
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 04:53 PM

Donate them to a thrift store

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users