Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#9761 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,723 posts

Posted 26 October 2021 - 05:36 AM

Her (alleged) pro-development stance is not nearly enough to make up for all the harm she has done since becoming mayor.

• mbjj and rmpeers like this

#9762 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 26 October 2021 - 05:46 AM

I'm surprised Helps doesn't get at least a little credit around here. I get that she's been behind some unpopular moves, but she's also been reliably supportive of development in Victoria. I'm not saying I expect her to be beloved, but I think she deserves at least some recognition for taking on a stubbornly anti-development council and consistently supporting building projects.

She has been a reliable supporter of developers she likes! Having said that, Helps has some admirable qualities and is probably the hardest working Mayor we have had in a long time.  

#9763 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 26 October 2021 - 07:07 AM

Definitely a hard worker, but the Elsner Affair was a real low point for this community.
  • rmpeers likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9764 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 26 October 2021 - 07:52 AM

Definitely a hard worker, but the Elsner Affair was a real low point for this community.

The Elsner affair was Helps' move from community organizer and activist to politician. It was no longer about what was good for the community but rather what benefitted her. 

• Nparker and mbjj like this

#9765 JimV

JimV
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 26 October 2021 - 08:38 AM

We would all be better off if Lisa Helps did not work so hard.  Almost everything the glassy-eyed fanatic has achieved has been negative for the city.

• Nparker, mbjj and A Girl is No one like this

#9766 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 26 October 2021 - 10:47 AM

As much as Helps has damaged the COV in her time as Mayor, having her depart her office won't change much (if anything at all) if TV gets back in the same numbers as they currently enjoy among COV Councilors.

Indeed, Helps departure might actually make the problem far worse if one of the TV folks (or their Ben and Jerry counterparts) were to somehow wind up in the Mayors chair.

• Nparker, Love the rock, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#9767 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,723 posts

Posted 26 October 2021 - 10:53 AM

Agreed. It's better the devil you know than the devil you don't know.

#9768 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 27 October 2021 - 11:51 AM

She has been a reliable supporter of developers she likes! Having said that, Helps has some admirable qualities and is probably the hardest working Mayor we have had in a long time.  

Im curious about those qualities. What, in your estimation, are her most admirable?

As one example of her failings, I think her choice to endorse a woman who lives in Saanich as her pick for Mayor demonstrates her glaring bias, and continuing, selfish, insensitivity to the city. I think we accidentally elected a single issue mayor (see her dissertation) and she's proven she's either not interested or not capable of anything else.

• Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#9769 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 12:47 PM

^ She communicates well, is great at organizing people and is effective at leading meetings. I don't agree with the content or his political views but that doesn't take away from the fact that she is good at aspects of what she does. That is why I said she will have no issues getting a job for one of the groups that has worked with her over the past 8 years. 

IIRC she said she is leaning towards Alto. I fully suspect that over the next year she will be privately telling a number of people she supports them and will endorse them when the time is right. She has a number of items that she wants to get passed before she leaves office and having people think she is in their corner will help with that.

Edited by spanky123, 27 October 2021 - 12:47 PM.

• rjag and David Bratzer like this

#9770 JimV

JimV
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 06:35 PM

Isitt’s latest comments re the VDBA have truly moved into the realm of the outrageous.  Basically, “nice little business association you have here, shame if anything were to happen to it.”  This guy has got to go.

• rjag, mbjj and Barrrister like this

#9771 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,723 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 06:36 PM

Do you mean the DVBA? If so, what did Comrade Isitt say exactly?

#9772 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 08:18 PM

Do you mean the DVBA? If so, what did Comrade Isitt say exactly?

He said he’s a criminal and deserves to be put in the pen. You’ll have to watch the council meeting or listen to Adam Stirling. He’s unbelievable. No idea how he’s allowed to get away with this nonsense

#9773 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 08:20 PM

Hey Mike! Are you posting his ridiculous comments/ extortion attempts on your fb page?

#9774 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,723 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 08:33 PM

He said he’s a criminal and deserves to be put in the pen. ..

To whom was he referring?

#9775 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 07:14 AM

Here’s the show: https://omny.fm/show...october-29-2021

The DVBA signed on to a letter supporting more investment into policing resources, and Councillor Isitt suggested what sounded like encouragement for the DVBA to seek an alternate revenue stream if they want to engage in political advocacy.

Councillor Young stepped in to suggest the theme of the suggestion was get in line with government, or else.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9776 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 07:21 AM

^ She communicates well, is great at organizing people and is effective at leading meetings. I don't agree with the content or his political views but that doesn't take away from the fact that she is good at aspects of what she does. That is why I said she will have no issues getting a job for one of the groups that has worked with her over the past 8 years. 

IIRC she said she is leaning towards Alto. I fully suspect that over the next year she will be privately telling a number of people she supports them and will endorse them when the time is right. She has a number of items that she wants to get passed before she leaves office and having people think she is in their corner will help with that.

I'm sorry but I can't agree, unless you means she's articulate.

She does not listen; it's not a new problem and very well documented. Listening is the foundation of communication. In my experience both personally and in many public forums, she's not capable of hearing any point of view different from her own, and I've seen too many examples that look like misandry as well. Worse, the stronger she feels about something, the less she's listening. 

And I've watched her lead a meeting. It's not the kind of leadership I was taught for effective teams. It's just telling people what to do, talking fast, and faster and louder if/when dissent is suspected.

Edited by Taco, 30 October 2021 - 07:24 AM.

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#9777 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 07:21 AM

^^ Isitt came across as a bully.

I got a kick out of when the Mayor had to correct/inform him that the City was only a conduit for funding from contributions by businesses, and that the City does not provide funding to the DVBA.

#9778 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,959 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 07:24 AM

I got a kick out of when the Mayor had to correct him that the City was only a conduit for funding from contributions by businesses, and that the City does not provide funding to the DVBA.

other money does flow though.  increasingly.

RECOMMENDATION That Council: 1.

Approve $100,000 from the 2021 Financial Plan contingency budget to be allocated toward a Downtown Vibrancy and Vitality Initiative to be administered by the Downtown Victoria Business Association (DVBA) as outlined in this report. 2. Authorize a partnership agreement, on the terms satisfactory to the Head of Business and Community Relations and in the form satisfactory to the City Solicitor, with the DVBA to provide services on behalf of the City for the Downtown Vibrancy and Vitality Initiative. 3. That the above motions be forwarded to the daytime meeting of February 25, 2021 for ratification.

https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=64766

In response to recent vandalism, the City is exploring ways it can partner with the Downtown Victoria Business Association to maintain the vibrancy and vitality of downtown during the ongoing pandemic.

“Our small businesses, already hit hard economically and emotionally by the pandemic, are left with repair bills or insurance deductibles,” said Mayor Lisa Helps. “We will be looking into what steps the City can take in partnership with the DVBA to support the vibrancy of downtown and address the impacts of vandalism.”

This is not the first time the City has worked with the DVBA to support their members. Last year, the City made a grant of $20,000 to the DVBA to help with graffiti removal, and the DVBA has administered My Great Neighbourhood grants on behalf of their members.

https://www.victoria...-vandalism.html

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 October 2021 - 07:28 AM.

#9779 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 07:29 AM

I'm hearing GVAT (greater victoria acting together) is the rebrand of TV for another election... conspiracy? (I guess given the TV brand is looking a little tattered)

• rjag likes this

#9780 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 07:31 AM

That’s elective funding, and likely a City-desired allotment for lack of other organizations or internal mechanisms to do the work. It’s not practical to send a $35/hour or $40/hour maintenance worker to spend a day removing graffiti when there’s already such a backlog of work.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)