Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#981 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:52 AM

Newbies will debate Thursday on whether a public inquiry should be called into money laundering in BC.

https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=31888

#982 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:52 AM

But not into the Elsner case.
  • Nparker, sebberry, Cassidy and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#983 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:57 AM

But not into the Elsner case.

Ha. No kidding. Sexual harassment, victimization of women in the workplace? Mayor and council have been clear that these are not issues of concern to them.

And every single person that voted for the mayor also made their views crystal clear. So proud of my fellow citizens.
  • Nparker, sebberry, Cassidy and 1 other like this

#984 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:00 PM

It would appear that Mayor Lisa Helps continues her struggles with the popular social media app called Facebook.

Some time ago Facebook cancelled her account after deciding that the words Lisa Helps was a fake name. She was successful in convincing FB that Lisa Helps was a real name and not a slogan.

A while after that she closed her account stating that it was a toxic platform.

Now someone or some group has apparently made her a new account complete with new news..

https://www.vicnews....yor-lisa-helps/

Not having seen the page in question, it sounds like it was clearly a work of satire. But given the reality of the last few years, it is sometimes hard to discern what is real and what is a joke.

#985 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:01 PM

Not having seen the page in question, it sounds like it was clearly a work of satire. But given the reality of the last few years, it is sometimes hard to discern what is real and what is a joke.

The Mayor had her blog updated shortly after the account was taken down to decry being victimized and the hate directed as the LGBT and Muslim communities. Funding campaign to start shortly.

• rjag likes this

#986 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:03 PM

She's as thin-skinned as the mango menace south of the border.

#987 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:31 AM

Errryone knows that it's only considered satire when so-called "progressives" do it.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#988 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:34 AM

Errryone knows that it's only considered satire when so-called "progressives" do it.

When the left does it (SNL, Colbert, countless social media pages) its funny and topical.  When anyone else does it, its hateful and literally violence 

• A Girl is No one likes this

#989 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:51 AM

Maybe the problem is that conservatives just aren't very funny.

• Nparker, tedward and Brantastic like this

#990 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:53 AM

There is a big difference from satirizing someone's actions or tendencies, and adopting an on-line rip off persona, which uses the Mayor's identity and name, to spread their "satire". But hey, good jokes about Helps, Isitt and co. bring it on!

• Benezet and sdwright.vic like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#991 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:55 AM

Maybe the problem is that conservatives just aren't very funny.

once upon a time yes.  These days the left is incapable of humour and the right have become the funny ones

• A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#992 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:20 AM

Not having seen the page in question, it sounds like it was clearly a work of satire...

I’ve seen a screen shot of it, and it clearly violated Facebook’s policy on impersonation – it used her photo and her name. I very much doubt FB would have removed it, if it were a bona fide parody that met the terms of use.

#993 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:30 AM

I’ve seen a screen shot of it, and it clearly violated Facebook’s policy on impersonation – it used her photo and her name. I very much doubt FB would have removed it, if it were a bona fide parody that met the terms of use.

Man, I love policies like that.  They inadvertently provide a blueprint on as to how to beat it.  I wonder what FB's response would have been to this?

Attached Images

• lisahelps.jpg

• Matt R. and GaryRanson like this

#994 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:06 AM

once upon a time yes.  These days the left is incapable of humour and the right have become the funny ones

I admit.  That IS funny.

#995 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:12 AM

You obviously don't follow Mike Huckabee's twitter account.

• Brantastic likes this

#996 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 05:55 AM

I've been waiting for this to happen.

Victoria city council voted Thursday to reduce the requested $2.6M increase in the police budget to $1.8M. The "Together Victoria" slate headed by Laurel Collins and Sara Potts spearheaded this vote, much to the chagrin of Mayor Lisa Helps.

Check out the body language difference between Helps and Collins in this CTV news clip. Our fearless leader appears to be not happy with the 5-3 vote outcome.

https://vancouverisl...?clipId=1613583

Sara Potts chimes in at the beginning of this news hour video with her position.

https://www.cheknews...15-2019-535406/

Control of council decisions is clearly shifting away from what we have seen in the past.

Sorry about the advertisements ahead of the videos. Everybody has to eat.

#997 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:32 AM

Now that "they've" had their first true taste of power, expect to see a lot more instances where they exercise it.

Folks better hope that Alto gets better fast, and that Thornton-Joe, Helps, and Young stay extremely healthy!

(I think we'll all start to miss Coleman and Madoff pretty quickly as well ... I know I do already)

I'm not a big Helps fan, but prepare to see demonstration after demonstration whereupon the evidence will show that she was hardly the far-lefty she was portrayed to be, and further that her SJW chops will (are?) soon to be totally overshadowed by a group of newbies who are going to show her time and time again how real SJW is done!

• Sparky, jonny and rmpeers like this

#998 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:40 AM

i think they will manage.  the cut is less than one officer per shift.  when was the last time you saw less than 4 officers on a serious call.  sometimes there is a dozen.

they have 240+ officers and 350 employees.

manak is talking a lot about "new world threats. not sure those exist or vicpd can do much to thwart them if there are.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 February 2019 - 06:44 AM.

#999 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:44 AM

I don't think this is really about whether or not VicPD can continue to manage (of course they will) as much as it's about the massive shift in power we see at City Hall, and the ramifications that massive shift in power might have moving forward.

• sebberry and Sparky like this

#1000 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:49 AM

previous councils have allowed department budget increases well above inflation.  on this one vote council decided to also allow a budget increase higher than inflation.  just not as high as the chief wanted.  sounds like he has 100 jobs inside the building he could cut from and leave the number of officers the same.

everyone is saying that public safety could be affected.  probably not.  calls will still be prioritized.  less cars directing traffic at minor car crashes less cars to a noisy house party.  less cars to the daily incidents at our place and 844.   

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 February 2019 - 06:52 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users