Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#10041 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 04:23 PM

That sounds bite alone *should* be reason enough to kill the reconciliation grant,

Because it was created in the spirit of retribution, not reconciliation.
  • sebberry, A Girl is No one and Barrrister like this

#10042 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 368 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 07:28 PM

Spanky, that IS hate speech.

She can't get free ride because of context. This needs to be reported.

Is there a transcript? Does Adam Stirling know? Stephen reads this thread, maybe he'll come in.

Either way, this can't be ignored.

Geoff called out Lisa’s comment. Lisa “clarified” her statement.
  • sebberry likes this

#10043 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 08:19 PM

^ Thanks for the comment Stephen. The Mayor didn't walk back her comment about "whites", she simply stated that she was not referring to Geoff.

I noticed in next week's COTW agenda there is an item to discuss "recovering the costs of climate change" which appears that it will be held in camera. Any idea why that is the case? If this is going to be some new tax or levy then I would think it should be discussed in the open.

Edited by spanky123, 19 November 2021 - 08:25 PM.

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#10044 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,343 posts

Posted 20 November 2021 - 05:10 AM

The decision by the museum to close the galleries — which will also include a redesign of the First People gallery — has sparked an uproar, with some saying dismantling long-standing exhibits is akin to “erasing history.”

Mayor Lisa Helps, however, said she supports the museum’s plan to keep the galleries closed, calling it a “deep commitment” to reconciliation with Indigenous peoples. “Reconciliation isn’t about making white people comfortable,” she said. “We should feel uncomfortable about this being removed.” Helps called the province’s and museum board’s decision “courageous” and likened it to the city’s abrupt removal of the Sir John A. Macdonald statue outside city hall in August 2018. “Reconciliation … requires action, not words.”

https://www.timescol...edesign-4780009

#10045 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 20 November 2021 - 07:56 AM

The excited media is not helping ensure this snippet will be lost to time, like “bring it on.”
  • Nparker, A Girl is No one, kitty surprise and 3 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10046 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 20 November 2021 - 08:15 AM

The excited media is not helping ensure this snippet will be lost to time, like “bring it on.”

Exactly like her, make a controversial statement and then double down when you are called on it. I guess if she suggested that other races, other than white, have come to Canada and occupied lands once formerly travelled by FN then that might upset her whole IBPOC vs white commentary.

• Nparker, newbie_01, Victoria Watcher and 1 other like this

#10047 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 20 November 2021 - 08:37 AM

Helps: I will do anything to make life uncomfortable for whites.

Trump: I will do anything to make life uncomfortable for non-whites.

No matter what side of political/idealogical spectrum, sociopaths in power are dangerous and destroy democracy.

My two cents: she actually hates white men more than anything but as a loophole, hurting all whites under the guise of reconciliation conveniently hides her misanthropy. Sorry white women. Hate wins.
  • Nparker likes this

#10048 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 20 November 2021 - 09:05 AM

Lisa Helps loves no one but herself.

#10049 JimV

JimV
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 20 November 2021 - 09:50 AM

It would be very interesting to get some FN perspectives on these recent moves - the statues, the museum, the proposed payouts, Canada Day.  Although they are the putative beneficiaries of all this white cultural self loathing I suspect that wiser heads among them understand that it only leads to division and ill feeling and does nothing to improve their conditions or anybody else’s.  Judging from the local FN’s comments on Canada Day it looks like they may have a more balanced and sensible view on reconciliation than the execrable Helps and her accomplices.

• Nparker, grantpalin, Midnightly and 2 others like this

#10050 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 01:25 PM

Stephen has an announcement he will be making on November 16th and I see the brother of the owner of Capital Daily is preparing a document release on that day. He wrote on Twitter

Sounds like a good day for me open up my Dropbox folder labelled “Stephen Andrew” to the masses

He wrote this on a post from Capital Daily editor Jimmy Thompson mocking Stephen’s announcement with a dismissive post: What, during mayoral run announcement season, could this announcement be?

Should we be concerned that the super wealthy men who run that website are collecting information on people? This really really bothers me.

Did Stephen Andrew make an announcement on the 16th?  I checked his twitter feed for that day but only saw his RT regarding Malahat repair work...

#10051 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,343 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 01:28 PM

It would be very interesting to get some FN perspectives on these recent moves - the statues, the museum, the proposed payouts, Canada Day. Although they are the putative beneficiaries of all this white cultural self loathing I suspect that wiser heads among them understand that it only leads to division and ill feeling and does nothing to improve their conditions or anybody else’s. Judging from the local FN’s comments on Canada Day it looks like they may have a more balanced and sensible view on reconciliation than the execrable Helps and her accomplices.

We rarely see the leaders comment, let alone the band members themselves.

#10052 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 02:18 PM

We rarely see the leaders comment, let alone the band members themselves.

The T-C published an op-ed on the museum renovations from a Haida journalist (band member).  He would like to see improvements to the First People's gallery and additional exhibits about immigrant communities not currently represented, but he also wants to retain both Old Town and the HMS Discovery displays.  As he says, "Despite whatever abstract nonsense our alleged thought leaders are cooking up these days, I’m not “harmed” by the presence of the Discovery and Old Town. It is a ludicrously patronizing and offensive theory." 

The full op-ed can be read here:  https://www.timescol...wn-gone-4731034

• Nparker, sukika, grantpalin and 6 others like this

#10053 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 04:03 PM

We've long said that Lisa Helps hates ALL men. She and others of her ilk seem to have a real chip on their shoulder when it comes to men. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#10054 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 24 November 2021 - 08:48 AM

It'll be interesting to see how the proposed motion regarding Clover Point goes down - I'm guessing the block will do what the block does. C-TJ, Alto, and Andrew will support reopening - and will continue to do what they can to distance themselves from the rest of the table in the hopes of salvaging themselves at the ballot box next October.

From my perspective - in the long run seasonal flex use might be the best choice. This would see the loop closed May 1 to September 30, and the loop open otherwise. Storing the furniture during the winter might be wise, and save a lot of wear and tear that will happen during inclement weather. 

• sebberry likes this

#10055 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 08:53 AM

Hold on. They want to revert Picnic Point to its former self?

Don’t they care about zoomer and his dog?
  • Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10056 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 08:54 AM

The vehicle loop needs to be at least partially open all year long. Many local residents can only access Clover Point by car. Anything less than this is discriminatory to those with mobility issues.

• JimV likes this

#10057 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 November 2021 - 08:59 AM

The furniture isn't exactly getting much use these days, and a nice hybrid model with a better walking loop and moving the picnic tables to the grassy area would be good.  

• Nparker, Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#10058 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 09:06 AM

Why is it that the city cannot admit that it was an experiment and it did not work out as well as we thought. Just admit that perhaps the city might have underestimated the needs of both the elderly and the handicapped. 

• Nparker, mbjj, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#10059 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 09:15 AM

Lisa Helps the TV cabal will never admit to being wrong.

#10060 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 09:19 AM

Lisa Helps the TV cabal will never admit to being wrong.

It is not just Helps. Never admitting a mistake seems to be all the rage these days with politicians of all stripes. 

• newbie_01 likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users