Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#10061 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 09:27 AM

It is not just Helps. Never admitting a mistake seems to be all the rage these days with politicians of all stripes. 

Fair enough, but I am more concerned about the impact of local political faux pas for which no apologies nor mea culpas are ever offered.

#10062 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 09:54 AM

It may be best not to engage with people. From VicPD:

Officers arrested a man with a history of random assaults yesterday after he struck a woman several times through her open vehicle window while she was driving on Cook Street.

Shortly after 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday, November 24th, Patrol officers responded to a report that a woman was attacked by a pedestrian while driving on Cook Street. The woman was driving southbound on Cook Street, approaching the intersection at Johnson Street, when she encountered a man in the middle of the crosswalk. The man did not have a walk signal.

The woman proceeded slowly around the man and he again moved in front of her vehicle. The woman opened her vehicle’s window and asked the man to move out of the way, at which point he reached into her open window and punched her several times. Thankfully, nearby construction workers came to the woman’s aid and pulled the suspect away from the vehicle, despite his resistance. The construction workers held on to the suspect until police arrived.

Officers arrived on scene and took the man into custody without further incident. The woman was not seriously injured and did not require immediate medical attention.

Officers transported the suspect to VicPD cells where he was held in custody to await a bail hearing.

The suspect, a 42-year-old Victoria man, faces recommended charges of assault and mischief. He is the subject of 15 previous criminal convictions for assault, many of which are random and unprovoked incidents.

This incident remains under investigation. If you have information about this incident, please call our Report Desk and (250) 995-7654, extension 1. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10063 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 09:58 AM

^ He will be out today. Only difference is whether the judge or VicPD make the decision.

Edited by spanky123, 24 November 2021 - 09:59 AM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#10064 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 09:59 AM

…while zoomer worries about who may or may not buy a downtown lot.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10065 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 09:59 AM

...The suspect, a 42-year-old Victoria man, faces recommended charges of assault and mischief. He is the subject of 15 previous criminal convictions for assault, many of which are random and unprovoked incidents.

It's nice to see that our "justice" system is working. :whyme:

#10066 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 November 2021 - 10:00 AM

The suspect, a 42-year-old Victoria man, faces recommended charges of assault and mischief. He is the subject of 15 previous criminal convictions for assault, many of which are random and unprovoked incidents.

This is clearly someone who can't function in mainstream society and needs to be moved to a society of his own, like minded individuals.  

• Love the rock, kingcollar, Awaiting Juno and 2 others like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#10067 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 24 November 2021 - 10:17 AM

Why is it that the city cannot admit that it was an experiment and it did not work out as well as we thought. Just admit that perhaps the city might have underestimated the needs of both the elderly and the handicapped EVERYONE. 

Fixed that for you. 

• Nparker, Love the rock, kingcollar and 3 others like this

#10068 JimV

JimV
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 10:40 AM

Why is it that the city cannot admit that it was an experiment and it did not work out as well as we thought. Just admit that perhaps the city might have underestimated the needs of both the elderly and the handicapped. 

I take that as a rhetorical question.  We all know that Helps and her crowd cannot be diverted from their ideological course by a little thing like reality

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#10069 JimV

JimV
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 10:44 AM

^ He will be out today. Only difference is whether the judge or VicPD make the decision.

I think that after he’s committed 30 or 40 unprovoked assaults we should seriously consider sending him to the hospital for a mental health evaluation so that he can get the help he needs.

• kingcollar and Awaiting Juno like this

#10070 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 10:54 AM

I think that after he’s committed 30 or 40 unprovoked assaults we should seriously consider sending him to the hospital for a mental health evaluation so that he can get the help he needs.

Only if he agrees to it.

#10071 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 368 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 11:34 AM

…regarding Clover Point - I'm guessing the block will do what the block does. C-TJ, Alto, and Andrew will support reopening - and will continue to do what they can to distance themselves from the rest of the table in the hopes of salvaging themselves at the ballot box next October.

Just a reminder Charlayne and I voted against the closure. I still think there’s a better way.

As to “salvaging themselves at the ballot box” - unnecessarily terse Janice. I remain consistent because I believe it’s the right thing to do.

The vote will likely be symbolic and if I have to guess it will be a long drawn out debate going nowhere.

If we want to have effective time management, punt this to next council for a productive and full consultation with an inclusive solution.

Edited by Stephen Andrew, 24 November 2021 - 11:35 AM.

• On the Level likes this

#10072 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,344 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 11:47 AM

Perfect. You are becoming cynical as to be expected after sitting in with this group.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 November 2021 - 11:47 AM.

#10073 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 11:50 AM

It’ll be a 3-6 vote. I don’t think any councillors have any illusions over where lines are drawn. It would make more sense to focus energies where change can be enacted, and that’s what the 5 of 9 are really good at.
  • Stephen Andrew and Awaiting Juno like this

Know it all.

#10074 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 November 2021 - 11:54 AM

Will council commit to measuring and quantifying the difference in GHG emissions between the current iteration and previous/possible future iterations of the design of Clover Point?

I mentioned on Stephen's twitter page that I think a year-round hybrid compromise can be made.  

Retain the parking loop.  Widen the parking stalls to accommodate families with kids getting in and out of cars with pets and strollers and to accommodate people using walkers needing a little more room between cars.  Every 4-6 parking spaces, replace a couple of spaces with a grassy patch where people can sit, picnic, etc...  

Pull all the parking spaces back from the edge and install a nice proper walkway around the entire perimeter

You can even keep some space for the orange chairs, turn the parking spaces they currently occupy into a grassy patch and put the chairs there.

Move the big picnic tables to the big grassy bit in the middle

You could even do a small waterpark feature in the big grassy bit in the middle for kids to play in

I think this strikes a nice balance and provides year-round use.

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#10075 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 12:22 PM

Actually, I hope this is a long drawn out debate, the longer the better because I really rather that this council did not pass all their other insane projects.

• Nparker, Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

#10076 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 01:35 PM

Just a reminder Charlayne and I voted against the closure. I still think there’s a better way.

As to “salvaging themselves at the ballot box” - unnecessarily terse Janice. I remain consistent because I believe it’s the right thing to do.

The vote will likely be symbolic and if I have to guess it will be a long drawn out debate going nowhere.

If we want to have effective time management, punt this to next council for a productive and full consultation with an inclusive solution.

So why force a discussion on FN reconciliation payments? This is bound to be much more complicated and heated and divisive than Clover point (and that is saying a lot!). I still don’t understand that decision Stephen. (I will call you about it, i simply haven’t had time yet.)

#10077 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 02:38 PM

Stephen: I appreciate what you are trying to accomplish but the reality is that most of the council are seriously off track, Compromising with am exceptionally bad idea still leaves you with a really bad idea. 

I am still trying to get anyone to explain the first question on the budget survey. It is the one that asks me to rank the cities priority from one to eight (eight being the worst) but it forces you to rank at least half of them in the top their. This is aking one whether you would rank your preference to being shot stabbed or have all your money stolen. it is an absolutely manipulative question.that will be used to claim support for the politicians policies. It is also intentionally manipulative since they have done this before and it was pointed out to the department that this is clearly improper. 

To be clear I dont think seven of the eight items should be a priority and that the eight is so vague as to be meaningless or open to any interrelation.

Complaining will not achieve anything since most of the members of this council are not interested in either honesty or fairness, 

I do support you Stephen but compromise is a game that they win every time.

• mbjj, A Girl is No one, newbie_01 and 1 other like this

#10078 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 02:41 PM

...it is an absolutely manipulative question.that will be used to claim support for the politicians policies. It is also intentionally manipulative since they have done this before...

Welcome to the world of CoV public engagement.  <_<

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#10079 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 03:48 PM

Welcome to the world of CoV public engagement. <_<

The beatings will continue until morale improves…
  • Nparker and Barrrister like this

#10080 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 368 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 05:13 PM

So why force a discussion on FN reconciliation payments? This is bound to be much more complicated and heated and divisive than Clover point (and that is saying a lot!). I still don’t understand that decision Stephen. (I will call you about it, i simply haven’t had time yet.)

I am truly thrilled to discuss this issue.

Ever since it arrived at the council with 4 signatures (it takes 5 to approve a motion), the train left the statthere was no stopping it.

I do not regret my vote to send the electorate for them to weigh in on the decision.

I suggest before casting judgement, you might was to wait for final deliberations. It will be interesting.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users