Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#10121 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 09:36 AM

Everyone's cover has been blown. The network of connections between various social agencies and political figures has been exposed. Things are not what they were in 2018, when the electorate was naive to the level of connectivity in this region.

This. And we need an army of engaged citizens able to call it out quickly and effectively.

To that end, is there a Coles Notes repository of these things to get up to speed on, along with a cheat sheet of how to effectively bat down any misinformation/smear attempts?

The sooner we are all armed with the knowledge and the tools, the more effective our cause will be.

Heck, the anarchists get specific training on how to get arrested, among other nefarious activities. We need to be at least as organized!
  • Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#10122 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 09:40 AM

...Things are not what they were in 2018, when the electorate was naïve to the level of connectivity in this region...

The proof of this will be in the 2022 election pudding. I am not going to get too hopeful just yet.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#10123 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 December 2021 - 09:44 AM

Everyone's cover has been blown. The network of connections between various social agencies and political figures has been exposed. Things are not what they were in 2018, when the electorate was naive to the level of connectivity in this region.

Most don't care though. Heads in the sand man.

#10124 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,523 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 09:46 AM

There's also the issue of results. 20 and 30-somethings voted for TV because they motivated them with promises of making life better. Under their watch, the city has never been in more dire straits.

I mean at a time of large regional growth, the CRD tells us the City of Victoria lost population.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10125 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,523 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 09:47 AM

Most don't care though. Heads in the sand man.

The by-election gives us a clue that more people are engaged, than ever. The frustrated vote got out and voted. TV couldn't pull together enough support that they believed was in the bank because of the 2018 results.

We also learned that it doesn't matter who you run in provincial and federal elections, as long as they have the right affiliation.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10126 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 10:07 AM

There's also the issue of results. 20 and 30-somethings voted for TV because they motivated them with promises of making life better. Under their watch, the city has never been in more dire straits.

I mean at a time of large regional growth, the CRD tells us the City of Victoria lost population.

But there has never been as many government funded NGO SJW jobs which might be what they want.
Thé growing misery is a boon to many.

Edited by A Girl is No one, 01 December 2021 - 10:08 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#10127 JimV

JimV
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 02:35 PM

I’m not sure that age cohort, many of whom are ideologically committed, actually care about results.  If they’re disappointed they can always blame it on the banks, the corporations, the “right wingers”, etc.  People with a little more life experience are more likely to connect the dots.  That said, Victoria seems to have an inordinately high percentage of older people who have learned nothing.

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#10128 JimV

JimV
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 02:37 PM

We also learned that it doesn't matter who you run in provincial and federal elections, as long as they have the right affiliation.

Sad but true.  To wit, the Amazing Invisible Women Grace Lore and Laurel Collins.

• Nparker likes this

#10129 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 02:39 PM

...Victoria seems to have an inordinately high percentage of older people who have learned nothing.

Leftover hippies who still think they can change the world, but in fact really just want to be stoned most of the time and bathe irregularly.

#10130 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,523 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 02:41 PM

I’m not sure that age cohort, many of whom are ideologically committed, actually care about results.  If they’re disappointed they can always blame it on the banks, the corporations, the “right wingers”, etc.  People with a little more life experience are more likely to connect the dots.  That said, Victoria seems to have an inordinately high percentage of older people who have learned nothing.

Right! We are seeing that now.

Four years ago, the discussions were about increasing the supply of housing as the solution. Today, the discussion is about de-commodification of housing.

Know it all.

#10131 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,972 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 06:16 AM

When voting, remember Clover Point, Richardson

I remain mystified and dismayed as we witness the appalling governance shown by some Victoria city councillors.

As we lurch from one disaster to the next, ordinary citizens are left to wonder when some degree of common sense might seep into decision-making.

Downtown and parks are suffering. The “induced demand” of the rather large welcome mat rolled out by perhaps well-meaning councillors, coupled with our favourable climate, have created a predictable but dangerous environment that will not be easy to rectify.

The Clover Point adventure ran off the rails right out of the gate, a victim of the “no cars at all costs” ideology, lacking any meaningful consultation and pushed through despite considerable negative feedback.

For decades this area has been enjoyed by Victorians of all ages and physical abilities, most of the time from inside a vehicle, as weather conditions demand. Its usage has now been dramatically reduced as a result.

For what reason?

The Richardson Street adventure, similarly incentivized, is causing significant traffic problems that were entirely predictable.

The mayor’s stated goal to reduce the traffic count from 3,500 down to 500 vehicles a day on that arterial route is resulting in the excess traffic feeding through previously quiet streets.

It would have been a real step forward to build a dedicated bike lane along with single-lane vehicle traffic, such that all citizens could benefit.

But to eliminate all cars, even electric ones, and close off access from Foul Bay Road for those needing vehicle access in both directions is just plain foolishness and defies logic.

I am hoping that Victorians will weigh in at the next municipal election and hopefully restore some common sense and good governance to our city.

Tom Pink
Victoria

https://www.timescol...le-hill-4821074

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 December 2021 - 06:17 AM.

#10132 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 06:31 AM

...I am hoping that Victorians will weigh in at the next municipal election and hopefully restore some common sense and good governance to our city....

Don't count on it. Common sense isn't all that common these days.

• Barrrister likes this

#10133 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 06:52 AM

The by-election gives us a clue that more people are engaged, than ever. The frustrated vote got out and voted. TV couldn't pull together enough support that they believed was in the bank because of the 2018 results.

Agree to an extent. The bi-election was largely a head to head race and right after a divisive NDP Provincial campaign which split the local riding. The main election will be an entirely different matter with what may be a very well organized and targeted campaign in support of 3-4 candidates against a herd of 10-15 others. 

#10134 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 07:01 AM

The primary concerns for those younger than 30 are housing affordability and social justice which they feel are inextricably tied. Despite the fact that NDP and Fed Liberals policies have only made both matters worse, they have done an excellent job at convincing people that the fault lies with corporations, white men and capitalism (and not massive debt driving inflation and interest rate policy). People reach a point where they will act against their own best interest in order to punish those they feel have caused them harm. 

The challenge this cycle will be that all of the major candidates is going to have the same talking points as they have all undertaken the same issue research. The challenge will be that the groups backing them don't want any of the things that will be promised. The status quo has been pretty good for many people over the past few years.

Edited by spanky123, 02 December 2021 - 07:01 AM.

#10135 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 07:40 AM

My worry is that there will not be a reasonable slate of candidates to actually vote for instead of the TV ones that might win by default. 

#10136 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 07:46 AM

My worry is that there will not be a reasonable slate of candidates to actually vote for instead of the TV ones that might win by default. 

I think that is a safe bet. If you think about it it is a horrible job. Full time work, abuse and what $40K a year?! 

This is the issue each cycle. You get the "business community" backing who they feel are patsies because none of them want the job.

To some adjunct prof at UVIC $40K is a step up and a chance to get your name out there for a move to Fed or Provincial politics.

Edited by spanky123, 02 December 2021 - 07:47 AM.

#10137 JimV

JimV
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 08:56 AM

I certainly hope that SA is alive to this concern and assembles a team to run with him.  Otherwise even if he wins it doesn’t do us much good.  Or him either for that matter

Edited by JimV, 02 December 2021 - 08:57 AM.

#10138 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 02 December 2021 - 09:43 AM

I think that is a safe bet. If you think about it it is a horrible job. Full time work, abuse and what $40K a year?! 

This is the issue each cycle. You get the "business community" backing who they feel are patsies because none of them want the job.

To some adjunct prof at UVIC $40K is a step up and a chance to get your name out there for a move to Fed or Provincial politics.

$40K is not a step up for an adjunct prof at UVic. Rather being an adjunct provides flexibility, such that a person can do both. Many in the business community serve on boards for fairly nominal pay - because they support the cause, and the board is functional. If the right group of people are around the table and focused on the job - the job is more in line with many corporate board responsibilities. Look at councils around the province, meetings that exceed 4 hours are the exception, not the norm and there is little reason to believe that Victoria could not be similar, just that there's going to be work and cooperation needed to get there.

Stephen Andrew, has paved a bit of a road for similarly minded candidates - and I'm somewhat hopeful that we're going to have enough quality candidates to vote for. I'm hopeful that we'll be able to get to a more balanced table, with people who are there for the right reasons and who really, really want to put the interests of the city first.

I'm still thinking about running - and if I do, I do not intend to run as part of a slate as I do think the slates have created a dysfunctional environment. That said, I think it would be very useful to have a group that objectively evaluates candidates and their positions and shares their view of them to inform the electorate.  

• Nparker, Stephen Andrew, Love the rock and 1 other like this

#10139 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 09:49 AM

I really hope you run AJ
  • Nparker, Love the rock and Teardrop like this

#10140 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 09:50 AM

I really hope you run AJ

Me too. She will get my vote.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)