City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#1021 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:23 AM

homeless shelters can be told by police they will need to step up their own security numbers and ban troublemakers. just like troublesome businesses are asked to. places like the strath have a 12-person security team on weekend nights because they have been told to.

as for other types of businesses i refuse to believe they cause or are the subject of all that much crime.
  • Cassidy likes this

#1022 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:25 AM

I suspect VW is trolling a little.

not trolling but playing devils advocate a bit. any of us that have ever seen a police response downtown have also often seen more officers for a longer time dealing with a single incident than it seems required too.

it’s also not unreasonable for police and the public to use more online reporting tools too. “just call us and we’ll come to you with 2 officers (staff) and get all the details” is not how most businesses operate a streamlined operation.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 February 2019 - 10:30 AM.

#1023 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:44 AM

remember also it’s this mayor that told us how much we’d save on policing and social services by bringing in more housing for homeless.
  • Nparker, A Girl is No one and Cassidy like this

#1024 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:53 PM

remember also it’s this mayor that told us how much we’d save on policing and social services by bringing in more housing for homeless.

This is a point that appears to have fallen by the wayside.

Why are VicPD not bringing up this issue? We were told that housing first was a strategy to not only better the lives of those facing homelessness and addiction, but that housing individuals in lieu of them remaining on the streets would yield considerable cost savings to the taxpayer.

I brought this point/question up two weeks ago on CFAX. Where's the data to back up the claims that we've saved significant sums of money, per person, by providing them with housing? I'm not arguing that's not the case, but we've had two years to run the numbers. Where's the evidence?

• rjag, spanky123, Midnightly and 2 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1025 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 02:19 PM

Lisa Helps is now in conflict with her own council over the police budget issue.

Victoria-Esquimalt Police Board isn't happy about Victoria council's decision to send the policing budget back to the drawing board with a request to stick to inflation-plus-1%. A letter signed by co-chairs Esquimalt Mayor Barb Desjardins and Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps, told Victoria council the reduction they are looking for would result in unacceptable cuts to staff and services which would significantly jeopardize public safety...

http://www.iheartrad...-cuts-1.8815238

Did she address the letter to herself?

#1026 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 02:27 PM

i thought esquimalt balked at the last increase?

#1027 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 03:09 PM

^ They did. It’s still in mediation.

#1028 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 03:10 PM

so was that just desjardins' pre-election stance?

#1029 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 03:34 PM

Politicians write letters to themselves all the time, especially if they are Mayor, as they sit on at least 3 boards (council, police & CRD) plus some combination of transit commission, library board, etc.

#1030 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 03:47 PM

Politicians write letters to themselves all the time...

But how often do they have to tell themselves they are in the wrong (in this case the mayor representing the CoV council)?

And you'll have to excuse me if I am not as familiar with the mayor's communication practices as someone who lobbies her office as a full time job.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#1031 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:04 PM

Lisa Helps is now in conflict with her own council over the police budget issue.

Did she address the letter to herself?

Helps and Desjardins have badly outplayed their novice opponents here. They get to take the high road of supporting the police and their message while avoiding the realities of having to pay for that increase with higher and unpopular property taxes.

#1032 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 10:12 PM

In this time of CLIMATE CRISIS will Her Worseship show real leadership and choose to walk or bike to Alberta?

Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps has accepted a Calgary city councillor’s invitation to visit the province’s oil and gas sector.  Helps will tour a steam-assisted gravity drainage (SAGD) project near Fort McMurray in April...

https://globalnews.c...-project-visit/

• rmpeers likes this

#1033 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:24 PM

In this time of CLIMATE CRISIS will Her Worseship show real leadership and choose to walk or bike to Alberta?

Um, who is footing the bill for this latest junket?

#1034 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:21 PM

Canada Action. An advocacy and educational organization for resource development.

#1035 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:23 PM

the mayor said "not the cov and not the oil companies". "the city of calgary is paying". 

#1036 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:46 PM

I still haven't heard what environmentally friendly method she will use to get to Alberta.

#1037 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:53 PM

the mayor said "not the cov and not the oil companies". "the city of calgary is paying". 

Helps stressed the trip will be paid for by the City of Calgary.

“It is the City of Calgary that’s hosting me, not Victoria taxpayers and not the oilsands industry. … That’s the No. 1 question we’ll get,” she said.

“So I’m not being bought off by the oil industry and I’m also not wasting Victoria taxpayers’ money taking a trip to Calgary.”

She also plans to insist on carbon offsets for the flight.

“That’s one of the things that I’m going to do every time I fly in this term — buy carbon offsets,” Helps said. “It’s not a perfect solution, but we’ll make sure that’s part of the package.”

https://www.timescol...mind-1.23640534

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 February 2019 - 01:53 PM.

#1038 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:56 PM

Huh, the Global link said it was Canada Action.

Edit: it says "organized by" Canada Action. So maybe they're putting the trip together, but using Calgary's money?

Edited by Mattjvd, 21 February 2019 - 01:57 PM.

#1039 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:09 PM

“That’s one of the things that I’m going to do every time I fly in this term — buy carbon offsets,” Helps said. “It’s not a perfect solution, but we’ll make sure that’s part of the package.”

Who is paying for the "carbon offsets"? Would they be required if she didn't make this trip?

#1040 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:20 PM

Who is paying for the "carbon offsets"? Would they be required if she didn't make this trip?

I am sure that she is expensing them along with the airfare. Real easy to spend other people's money

Edited by spanky123, 21 February 2019 - 02:21 PM.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users