Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#1041 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:26 PM

I am sure that she is expensing them along with the airfare. Real easy to spend other people's money

Especially for what amounts to a pointless exercise in public relations. I mean is anyone's PoV going to be changed by this trip?

#1042 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:30 PM

Especially for what amounts to a pointless exercise in public relations. I mean is anyone's PoV going to be changed by this trip?

That is not the purpose off the trip. If you read the TC this morning, i think that it is clear that her goal is to change Albertan's PoV. This is a waste of money for whoever is paying for the trip (assuming the Mayor is telling the truth). It is a PR stunt that Helps will use to further her own aspirations.

• Nparker, Midnightly and Cassidy like this

#1043 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:52 PM

Can't Helps pull a Ralph Lauren and appear as a hologram before the crowds, saving everyone a bunch of money, the earth from an unmitigated climate disaster and forgo buying carbon credits?

• Nparker and Cassidy like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1044 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:04 PM

We can only hope its a 1 way ticket

• spanky123, AllseeingEye, mbjj and 4 others like this

#1045 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:38 PM

Helps will visit the oil sands, come back and proclaim another environmental catastrophe and nobody here will be allowed to drive anywhere.  

Actually, I think it's to see how Fort Mac manages their single use bag crisis.  

• Nparker and spanky123 like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1046 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:25 PM

Really, I'd be far more impressed should she come out to Oaklands and fix a few potholes.

Why can't these people stick to their mandate - they are MUNICIPAL politicians.

Whether or not she pays, they pay, carbon offsets, shmarbon offsets...it is all theatre! Who will we be paying to do her job while she is off sticking her nose in where it doesn't belong?

I am fairly certain we have Provincial and Federal representatives and civil servants working on this problem all the time.

• Nparker, rjag, spanky123 and 5 others like this

#1047 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:27 PM

I agree 100% tommy.

#1048 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:43 PM

I agree 100% tommy.

SJW virtue signalling...nothing more from Helps(less)

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#1049 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 February 2019 - 03:16 AM

If the city has decided there's a climate crisis then why not implement the following very basic at-home solutions, all of which are within the city's purview to do and all of which will cut down on heating the great outdoors:

--- ban outdoor space heaters (like the ones you see on restaurant patios)

--- make it illegal to prop a door open when not in use if the heat (or A/C, for that matter) is running inside the building, except in unusual and temporary situations such as clearing an odor or fumes

--- mandate that all new commercial (over a reasonable size) or multi-unit residential developments must use "airlock" doors for their primary entrances (as in, two sets of doors separated by a short passage e.g. the entrance to Denny's on Douglas)

--- mandate that all new residential developments must provide a vehicle charging station for each parking spot on the premises (no point pushing electric cars if you can't charge them)

How's that for a start?

#1050 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:08 AM

Here’s the catch-22 about this Calgary sideshow. The plane flies with or without the mayor, right? So no harm done. Well, the earth’s climate changes without or without the mayor’s motions, too.

The reasonable response for someone who is so concerned about climate is to have put off the engagement until such a time as official business absolutely required her to be in Alberta, or one of her councillors was in Alberta and could meet on her behalf. Considering the mayor’s position on climate change and being a climate steward Calgary would have understood.
  • rmpeers likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1051 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:59 AM

If the city has decided there's a climate crisis then why not implement the following very basic at-home solutions, all of which are within the city's purview to do and all of which will cut down on heating the great outdoors:

--- ban outdoor space heaters (like the ones you see on restaurant patios)

--- make it illegal to prop a door open when not in use if the heat (or A/C, for that matter) is running inside the building, except in unusual and temporary situations such as clearing an odor or fumes

--- mandate that all new commercial (over a reasonable size) or multi-unit residential developments must use "airlock" doors for their primary entrances (as in, two sets of doors separated by a short passage e.g. the entrance to Denny's on Douglas)

--- mandate that all new residential developments must provide a vehicle charging station for each parking spot on the premises (no point pushing electric cars if you can't charge them)

How's that for a start?

Good ideas, however that flies in the face of affordability by adding more and more and is similar to the STEP code that developers are saying will add 10's of thousands to the cost of new builds

#1052 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,928 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:01 AM

Mayor Lisa Helps said the community consultation will be “meaningful,” even though it will be expedited.

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change has stated that there is no time to waste in reducing greenhouse gases, and that means no time to waste in completing the bike network, she said.

https://www.timescol...work-1.23642139

#1053 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,928 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:02 AM

Coun. Jeremy Loveday said the climate emergency means the city has to take emergency action.

“My vision remains Victoria as a city where you can travel safely and conveniently from one neighbourhood to the next — from one side of the city to the other no matter what mode of transportation you use,” Loveday said.

https://www.timescol...work-1.23642139

#1054 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:05 AM

Here’s the catch-22 about this Calgary sideshow. The plane flies with or without the mayor, right? So no harm done. Well, the earth’s climate changes without or without the mayor’s motions, too.

The reasonable response for someone who is so concerned about climate is to have put off the engagement until such a time as official business absolutely required her to be in Alberta, or one of her councillors was in Alberta and could meet on her behalf. Considering the mayor’s position on climate change and being a climate steward Calgary would have understood.

Oh she's just getting started...she's figured out all the noise people make cant really harm her as she cant be recalled....put on your seatbelts folks, we're in for quite the ride as she and Ben/Jeremy (as well as the Provincial NDP) add more and more restrictions/fees/taxes/controls etc in their efforts to decolonise/decorporatize and save us from the evils of capitalism....

I hope y'all like kale

• Nparker, jonny, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#1055 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:19 AM

Really, I'd be far more impressed should she come out to Oaklands and fix a few potholes.

Why can't these people stick to their mandate - they are MUNICIPAL politicians.

Whether or not she pays, they pay, carbon offsets, shmarbon offsets...it is all theatre! Who will we be paying to do her job while she is off sticking her nose in where it doesn't belong?

I am fairly certain we have Provincial and Federal representatives and civil servants working on this problem all the time.

I can't even express any longer how much I despise 99% of this city council. It's bad for my blood pressure. I encourage everyone to keep driving their cars everywhere, plant cherry trees, use plastic bags, and generally do everything that cow doesn't want us to.

Edited by mbjj, 22 February 2019 - 08:20 AM.

• Nparker, rjag, Midnightly and 1 other like this

#1056 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:06 AM

The politics in this town exist in such a warped echo chamber. I mean, most places do too, but these people take themselves far too seriously. They way they speak sometimes, you'd think they were in charge of Germany or France and not a measly ~22% of the population of the quite small-ish CRD and 11% of the small population of Vancouver Island and less than 2% of the population of British Columbia. 99.9% of North America's population couldn't even point out Victoria on a globe.

These people actually think writing letters demanding reparations from Venezuela is a sensible step. They think installing bicycle lanes is going to help fix the #climateemergency (I'm not against bicycle lanes per se - but let's at least be honest about them). They think Trudeau and Notley give two shits about their O&G opinions. 

• Nparker, AllseeingEye, mbjj and 2 others like this

#1057 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:18 AM

ancghr669yh21.jpg

• rjag, jonny and Brantastic like this

#1058 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:28 AM

^^^Haha Ben Isitt's saying "hold my beer" after he reads Bernies letter!!!

#1059 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,594 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:44 AM

That is not the purpose off the trip. If you read the TC this morning, i think that it is clear that her goal is to change Albertan's PoV. This is a waste of money for whoever is paying for the trip (assuming the Mayor is telling the truth). It is a PR stunt that Helps will use to further her own aspirations.

Yes well good luck with that; I spent nearly 5 years on business commuting back and forth every quarter to Calgary and Edmonton to 2016. The perception and opinion of your average Albertan re: your average BC'er then wasn't exactly complimentary pahdnuh'. It wasn't then and it certainly isn't now amid the pipeline debate.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least since she was trying to buy her own railroad if Notley in anticipation of Helps' "tour" doesn't also assemble and put together her own air force with the intent of shooting down Lisa's plane the moment it crosses the Rockies.

Help's is either incredibly brave or incredibly dumb. Either way it'll be a reception she isn't likely to forget. It would be priceless to see her response to being confronted by some of those High River cowboys - which will be a long, long way from the friendly confines of the People's Commune of Fernwood, lol.....

• jonny and mbjj like this

#1060 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 11:00 AM

Help's is either incredibly brave or incredibly dumb. Either way it'll be a reception she isn't likely to forget. It would be priceless to see her response to being confronted by some of those High River cowboys - which will be a long, long way from the friendly confines of the People's Commune of Fernwood, lol.....

Its a win win for Helps. If she is confronted then she plays the victim and her supporters rally around her. If she is welcomed then she can claim that she engaged with the "other side" but they wouldn't yield.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)