Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#10801 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 11:16 PM

So council just voted to hand over a $200,000 “reconciliation grant” to the local FNs.  And here I thought that once they removed JAM and tossed Cook in the ocean the issue was settled.

SA and GY voted against.  CTJ had seemingly recovered from the cool aid recently, but apparently she’s had a relapse.  I think she needs a long rest, perhaps starting in October.

ugg... some days i wish there was a "dislike this" button not just a "like this" button.. i can't in good faith like anything about this

i would actually like to hear the results on the survey they did a few months back where they asked people what they thought of this idea and if they agreed to it

• Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one, Barrrister and 1 other like this

#10802 Fox

Fox
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 07:20 AM

She amended the proposal in response to public feedback. Of nearly 50 items put to the public for comment, the reconciliation grant received one of the lowest rankings of support, with 40.2 per cent of respondents saying they strongly agree with the idea and 52.8 per cent strongly disagreeing.

https://www.timescol...nations-5014175

#10803 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 07:30 AM

52.8 per cent strongly disagreeing.

Which was all the more reason for this terrible council to make sure it passed. They hate Victoria.

#10804 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 08:13 AM

^ Bear in mind that the survey forced you to assign a priority to every proposal. I am sure that if you could only vote for the items you wanted and not score the others approval would have been like 10%.

Edited by spanky123, 01 February 2022 - 08:38 AM.

• Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

#10805 JimV

JimV
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 08:22 AM

^Absolutely.  It was just like the other COV surveys where your choices range from “I strongly support it” to “I’m breathlessly excited by the idea and wish it could start tomorrow.”

• Nparker, LJ, newbie_01 and 1 other like this

#10806 Moderation

Moderation
  • Suspended User
  • 364 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 08:56 AM

It may be a done deal for this year. The article indicates that the new council can change it going forward.

#10807 yellow_baron

yellow_baron
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 12:37 PM

Is the grant cumulative? This council seems to have forgotten their mandate. 

• Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

#10808 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 01:07 PM

...This council seems to have forgotten their mandate. 

It's not so much they have forgotten their mandate, as much as they believe their mandate involves saving the whole world using the wallets of CoV taxpayers.

• Midnightly, Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and 3 others like this

#10809 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 04:06 PM

It's not so much they have forgotten their mandate, as much as they believe their mandate involves saving the whole world using the wallets of CoV taxpayers.

i would be fine with this grant   IF ...  potts, dubow, isitt, alto and tjoe put up their 40+k salaries to pay for it.... (Helps 100k+ can go towards next years largesse)

...otherwise not so much!

• A Girl is No one, Barrrister and Harry like this

#10810 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 04:12 PM

Is the grant cumulative? This council seems to have forgotten their mandate. 

They seem to have remembered that there is an election this fall and they are simply using your money to buy votes. Vote for us and we will give you $200K every year, if not then you will be out of luck.

• Harry likes this

#10811 Harry

Harry
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 08:52 PM

How is this even in the city's concern or area of responsibility? I'm not sure the city is really aloud to do this isn't this a provincial matter or federal matter? Is the city not "having to raise taxes" to cover the short fall in funds as the last city budget short 20 million or something as well as the overspending it is already doing? I keep saying it but this council is spending money like water it needs to stop, I understand financial reconciliation is ongoing at the provincial level and the federal level as it falls under their responsibilities and I agree that reconciliation is needed. If it were me I would worry that the optics would be that this is purchasing future votes if it was not then I would have waited until after the election to put it through. The other possibility is securing future employment after city politics. I am expecting anyone that disagrees with this spending will be labeled as racist.

• LJ, Midnightly, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#10812 Harry

Harry
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 08:53 PM

i would be fine with this grant   IF ...  potts, dubow, isitt, alto and tjoe put up their 40+k salaries to pay for it.... (Helps 100k+ can go towards next years largesse)

...otherwise not so much!

Hold on is this to be a yearly thing now or just a one time thing?

#10813 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 09:02 PM

...I am expecting anyone that disagrees with this spending will be labeled as racist.

Those on council who initiated this "grant" were confident that dissenting voices would be labelled as racists and therefore knew they could push this through with little-to-no protest. 

• Spy Black likes this

#10814 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 09:03 PM

That will depend entirely on the results of the election in October. Vote wisely.

• Stephen James likes this

#10815 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 09:41 PM

on chek news this evening they listed it as yearly for 5 years... but ofcourse next council at the table could cancel it then be deemed racist and against reconciliation with local first nations.. even though according to their very own survey most people in Victoria did not want this "grant" to happen and very much disagreed with it..

i do think there are much better ways for reconciliation then the city writing a check...

Edited by Midnightly, 01 February 2022 - 09:41 PM.

• DavidSchell and Victoria Watcher like this

#10816 JimV

JimV
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 08:35 AM

I actually don’t think that when the next council cancels this there will be any serious allegations of racism.  Everybody knows this is out of their lane, fiscally unsound, crass vote buying and over the top “progressivism.”

#10817 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 08:43 AM

I actually don’t think that when the next council cancels this there will be any serious allegations of racism...

You're assuming the next council won't be made up of most of the members of the existing council. I am not sure it's wise to believe CoV voters will come to their senses by October.

• phx and On the Level like this

#10818 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 11:19 AM

We should not take it as a fait accompli that’s for sure.

#10819 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 12:26 PM

I actually don’t think that when the next council cancels this there will be any serious allegations of racism.  Everybody knows this is out of their lane, fiscally unsound, crass vote buying and over the top “progressivism.”

Depending on who is running it could be a discussion point for the election.

#10820 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 12:56 PM

This FN forever grant will be used by TV candidates as a campaign issue, better prepare now.

For example a TV candidate will support it. And they will ask other candidates if they support it. If they do not, they will be vilified and labeled a racist and not in support of FN, reconciliation etc. You just watch.

Either way, doesn't every man woman & child living on FN land receive regular income from the federal government anyways?
  • Nparker and Barrrister like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users