Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#11261 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 03:29 PM

Update on Canada Day activities. Looks like the plan is to merge activities with the Ska / Reggae Fest. 

https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=80388

#11262 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 03:34 PM

I am probably OK with charging people 100 a month for overnight parking since they want to use part of the street as their own private parking lot. It would encourage people to either walk or use a bicycle and will start to train the population for the day that cars are banned from most of Victoria.

#11263 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,348 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 03:35 PM

Update on Canada Day activities. Looks like the plan is to merge activities with the Ska / Reggae Fest.

Seems alright.

#11264 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 03:42 PM

Seems alright.

I would think that of all of the music genres to choose from that would be lower on the list of popularity for the usual Victoria crowd. Might be a deterrent for families with small children due to language and content.

#11265 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,348 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 03:51 PM

Weh yuh ah seh?

#11266 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 368 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 08:16 PM

To clarify - the city is using the same stage to reduce costs. There is no “merging”.

The producer is working hard to book a variety of multi-cultural artists.

I met with him this week and I am pleased with plans and intentions to make Canada Day more interactive.
  • JohnsonStBridge likes this

#11267 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 05:31 AM

^ Thanks for the clarification Stephen. Skafest ends the week prior to Canada Day so I am assuming then that we are just talking about leaving the stage in place instead of taking it down and putting it back up?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#11268 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 05:51 AM

I have to chuckle at these efforts to portray downtown as a vital, safe place to bring your family for live entertainment and fun ... the day after VicPD basically released a public statement noting that you take your life into your own hands coming downtown, with the potential being very high that you might be assaulted by large, roving gangs of drug addled teens and miscreants.

Potholes go unrepaired, folks will soon likely have to pay to park in front of their own homes ... and the COV mayor and council party on like there's nothing going on but fun and games.

Something seriously wrong here, beyond delusional.

Edited by Spy Black, 13 May 2022 - 05:56 AM.

• mbjj, Awaiting Juno and Victoria Watcher like this

#11269 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 05:55 AM

Potholes go unprepared, folks will soon likely have to pay to park in front of their own homes ... and the COV mayor and council party on like there's nothing going on but fun and games.

Good news is that you won't have to pay to park in front of your own homes! Those spots will be reserved for car share, Amazon and Uber East, and those needing accessible spots!

#11270 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 13 May 2022 - 09:25 AM

I wonder if those who are using their vehicles as shelter would be exempt from the parking permit? Or is this a way of addressing that issue while not addressing it? 

• Nparker and Harry like this

#11271 Harry

Harry
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 10:11 AM

So now it seems we have council members working to "rig elections" through voting booth locations. Bens working this hard and hes not even being covert about it. There is even talk about precounting the mail in votes and with this information one could move efforts to locations with lower votes. I would think its time to have higher up government step (or whom ever is in charge of keeping voting legal and fair) in and take charge. People running for office should have absolutely no say in where voting booth locations are located.
I hope the council members and Mayor understand that this kind of "rigging" will follow them for the rest of their lives. "Oh look its so and so remember they worked to rig an election? Ya thats why we wont hire them or work with them"

• Nparker, Daveyboy, mbjj and 4 others like this

#11272 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 10:20 AM

...I hope the council members and Mayor understand that this kind of "rigging" will follow them for the rest of their lives...

Sadly, I doubt they care. Politicians count on the fact that most of the electorate are too ignorant of the process to even suspect this is possible.

#11273 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 10:23 AM

So now it seems we have council members working to "rig elections" through voting booth locations. Bens working this hard and hes not even being covert about it. There is even talk about precounting the mail in votes and with this information one could move efforts to locations with lower votes. I would think its time to have higher up government step (or whom ever is in charge of keeping voting legal and fair) in and take charge. People running for office should have absolutely no say in where voting booth locations are located.
I hope the council members and Mayor understand that this kind of "rigging" will follow them for the rest of their lives. "Oh look its so and so remember they worked to rig an election? Ya thats why we wont hire them or work with them"

They picked locations the last election. Set up at Our Place and UVIC and then made sure lots of people were available to "vouch" for those with no ID.

• Nparker, Daveyboy and Barrrister like this

#11274 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 368 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 03:52 PM

^ Thanks for the clarification Stephen. Skafest ends the week prior to Canada Day so I am assuming then that we are just talking about leaving the stage in place instead of taking it down and putting it back up?

Correct
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#11275 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,348 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 03:54 PM

Thank you.

To the only one of our 9 elected officials that comes on here.

And it’s not like a rough ride is expected.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 May 2022 - 03:55 PM.

#11276 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 03:57 PM

It's embarrassing to watch every Councillor toady in behind the Mayor in an effort to paint a picture of a beautiful, safe, and prosperous downtown ... all in an effort to get re-elected (there's no other reason to tell such a bald-faced lie).

Meanwhile VicPD is warning the public that downtown is very much the most dangerous place to be on any of the 7 nights of any given week. 

Crime and violence rule the streets at night, and literally anybody ... from a 10 year old kid to a 85 year old grandparent is a likely target for some form of life-changing violence.

It's sad, because an entire slate of pro-business, kick-out-the-bums and drug addicts, right of centre City Government would likely get elected en masse.

It's to the point where I personally can't see having anybody currently on Council back for another kick at the can.

Everything the COV Mayor and Council does or tries is a complete and utter failure.

It's time to make them all pay at the polls.

• Nparker, Awaiting Juno, Victoria Watcher and 1 other like this

#11277 JimV

JimV
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 15 May 2022 - 07:24 AM

So now council, except for SA and GY, have endorsed a “fossil fuel non proliferation treaty”.  (Thanks to both for injecting a note of common sense and reality into this absurd discussion.)  You couldn’t make this stuff up.  We’d be better off governed by a local high school student council.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#11278 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 15 May 2022 - 08:56 AM

So now council, except for SA and GY, have endorsed a “fossil fuel non proliferation treaty”.  (Thanks to both for injecting a note of common sense and reality into this absurd discussion.)  You couldn’t make this stuff up.  We’d be better off governed by a local high school student council.

Expect to see more of this as the election approaches. Purpose is to empower tribes and to isolate opponents.

Edited by spanky123, 15 May 2022 - 08:56 AM.

• Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#11279 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 15 May 2022 - 08:58 AM

It's embarrassing to watch every Councillor toady in behind the Mayor in an effort to paint a picture of a beautiful, safe, and prosperous downtown ... all in an effort to get re-elected (there's no other reason to tell such a bald-faced lie).

Helps/Alto can't deny crime is a problem anymore so the new messaging is that it is a problem but only a handful of people are behind it so Eby's study will solve the problem. Move on then, nothing more to see here.

• Nparker and Spy Black like this

#11280 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 15 May 2022 - 10:26 AM

My note above about perpetuating outright lies in order to get reelected above was a somewhat poor choice of words on my part, as it fails to speak to folks like Helps and Dubow's pending empty chairs.

Some current members of Council obviously do want to get reelected ... so for that group my statement above was accurate.

What I should have made note of above too was politicians like Helps and Dubow (and whoever else from the TV gang that fails to get a seat at the table) to buff up their resumes, and polish the optics of their agenda in order to toady their way into a post-VicCouncil job with some juicy taxpayer funded social justice organization or group ... where they can while away their remaining political careers on some useless, taxpayer funded public tit.

• Nparker and LJ like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users