Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#11621 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 08 July 2022 - 08:34 AM

....The municipal role is to foster a community of respect and integration with the local FN communities. 

Perhaps. I'd still rather see an emphasis on maintaining infrastructure and leave the social engineering to higher levels of government.

#11622 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 08 July 2022 - 09:37 AM

I think that the fostering of respect at the local level applies across the board, to all ethnicities  ... it's not unique to First Nations.

Reconciliation and compensation to First Nations is strictly the domain of Federal and Provincial governments across Canada.

The Indian Act (as much as I hate that name) dominates all First Nations issues in Canada, and The Indian Act has absolutely nothing to do with a local Mayor and Council.

• Nparker, Daveyboy and Awaiting Juno like this

#11623 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 08 July 2022 - 10:16 AM

I think that the fostering of respect at the local level applies across the board, to all ethnicities  ... it's not unique to First Nations...

Agreed. If the respect for one culture comes at the expense of another (i.e. reconciliation is supposed to hurt; destruction of public property etc.), I don't see how gains are made.

#11624 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 08 July 2022 - 10:37 AM

How many times have we said this over the years, an organization works to gain credibility and respect and then turns inward on itself because the fight was always the motivator and not the outcome.

https://www.aptnnews...s-bank-account/

#11625 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,343 posts

Posted 08 July 2022 - 11:20 AM

Native organizations are corrupt. What’s new.

#11626 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 01:15 AM

But municipalities have a role to play, just as individuals do, provinces and the feds do too - where we fail is in failing to understand what that role is. That role is not providing financial reparations at the municipal level - that is the domain of the province/fed via treaty negotiations. The municipal role is to foster a community of respect and integration with the local FN communities. 

this i can agree with.. the city shouldn't be writing a check, but the city could easily be offering places where first nations can gather, have cultural events downtown where the first nations can sing and dance and educate, offer a free room at a community/rec center for first nations education (lets have spaces elders can teach the next generation their language, dancing...), have first nations story events at the beacon hill band circle, play first nations made movies.. it's been years since the city announced that the first nations could build a gathering hall at the top of beacon hill park, why hasn't that happened yet?  just think of all the things that could be done to embrace and welcome the history and culture.. i think it would be amazing for an elder carver teaching the younger generation how to carve a canoe then go paddle out in the ocean... if that is even possible...

it would be fully up to what the first nations bands in the area would like to do and the city offer up the space, the permits and such needed to help plan and execute it.. and it should be offered up to them as reconciliation because to me that is much more reconciliation then writing a check..

#11627 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 09:05 AM

^ The Songhees / Esquimalt FN already have this. We built them a $25M 55,000 sq ft facility on Admirals road in 2013.

• Nparker and Barrrister like this

#11628 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 09:27 AM

Detaching our country from the monarchy would be the most obvious act of reconciliation. That would instantly decolonize us.
I find much of what they do is a distraction. Unloading the guilt on us is meaningless. We are also people of the land and are not going anywhere. I would rather see more integration of the first peoples culture than English culture. My son’s nature based school is doing that. And while the band is guarded of their spiritual practices and rituals etc they are very open and welcoming of us adapting and incorporating their philosophies etc. That’s the way forward. Forgiveness, integration, friendship. Not guilt, shame, and division.

Edited by dasmo, 09 July 2022 - 09:28 AM.

#11629 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 09:28 AM

What does any of that even mean?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11630 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 09:32 AM

Become a republic. Return crown land to the people of Canada.
End the decolonization = white guilt woke BS narrative that only serves to further divide us.
Stop with the cultural appropriation and seek cultural integration.

Edited by dasmo, 09 July 2022 - 09:34 AM.

#11631 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 09:38 AM

A family friend is FN and he literally has people coming up to him and apologizing for something they didn’t have anything to do with. That’s not how you come together. That either makes the other person uncomfortable or they capitalize on the power it can give them.
  • Nparker and Midnightly like this

#11632 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 09:38 AM

We need to move away from this fairy tale storyline for First Nations that only cutifies their culture.

Canadians want to live with this fairy tale image of First Nations and are then shocked and bewildered when a First Nation -wants- to harvest timber, exploit LNG opportunities, harvest seafood, mine, develop property, etc. I don’t know what your son’s school is teaching the kids but it sounds to me like it’s not going to bring nations any closer to economic autonomy and prosperity.
  • LJ and Matt R. like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11633 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 09:40 AM

It’s all fairy tales if you want to go there.

#11634 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 09:40 AM

A family friend is FN and he literally has people coming up to him and apologizing for something they didn’t have anything to do with. That’s not how you come together. That either makes the other person uncomfortable or they capitalize on the power it can give them.

It’s not about him, it’s for their own ego and personal satisfaction.

Know it all.

#11635 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,343 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 09:41 AM

Detaching our country from the monarchy would be the most obvious act of reconciliation. That would instantly decolonize us.
I find much of what they do is a distraction. Unloading the guilt on us is meaningless. We are also people of the land and are not going anywhere. I would rather see more integration of the first peoples culture than English culture. My son’s nature based school is doing that. And while the band is guarded of their spiritual practices and rituals etc they are very open and welcoming of us adapting and incorporating their philosophies etc. That’s the way forward. Forgiveness, integration, friendship. Not guilt, shame, and division.

Who is forgiving who? I didn’t harm anyone or any group.

#11636 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

It’s not about him, it’s for their own ego and personal satisfaction.

Exactly.

#11637 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Who is forgiving who? I didn’t harm anyone or any group.

Exactly

#11638 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 09:43 AM

The Royal family did though… but yes, it’s not black and white. The Otter was decimated by the Haida because it was so lucrative trading their pelts to the Europeans.

#11639 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 09:44 AM

...I didn’t harm anyone or any group.

Do VV members count?  :lol:

• Matt R. likes this

#11640 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,343 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 09:46 AM

I’ll start a GoFund me for you.
  • Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users