City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#1401 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:55 AM

I think the real story here is not that James was hired, but that the mayor tried to convince the taxpayer that she would not be able to secure a qualified candidate for less than her salary suggestion.

We just saved tens of thousands of dollars annually. Helps should explain how a candidate was found, and at a significantly lower salary, if she believed no such candidate would emerge and nearly gave up on the idea altogether.

So this raises the question. Just how often are salaries at the CoV artificially inflated due to a perceived concern that no qualified candidate will emerge at $x, but will at $x+y? Helps has championed James’ position as Head of Strategic Operations as a “leadership” role, meaning she’s a top dog at City Hall but earning $30,000 less than the mayor insisted was the bottom threshold for someone in that role?
  • Mattjvd likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1402 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:03 AM

...We just saved tens of thousands of dollars annually...

And I know how we could save $98,000 more.

#1403 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:12 AM

Yah I’m sure you would. Illustrates my point that $100k a year doesn’t really get you all that much anymore, so maybe some people should temper their expectations.

You pay that much and more for someone to replace a toilet or paint your house.

Matt.

In this town, $98k/year gets you a "Senior Manager" (10-15 years experience + some specialized credentials) type position and $130k is more of a "Director" level position (20+ years experience). 

As I've noted before, the City of Victoria for some reason pays very, very well. Much better than most public sector entities on Vancouver Island. CUPE 50 has done an excellent job...

• pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

#1404 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:13 AM

No doubt it does, hence the public outrage at these salaries.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1405 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:02 AM

Come on, how much can you really expect. That’s like $50 an hour, isn’t it? Even a plumber is nearly double that.

Matt.

A plumber is self-employed or works for a business - so the charge out may be $100, but the wage most certainly is not and a good chunk of it goes to overhead (advertising, warehousing, tools, etc.)

#1406 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:05 AM

And a $100k for this, is a bit nutty.  Government positions with the province - even relatively senior positions that require graduate level training pay less.  As an example, a senior economist (ECON 30) - who does advanced policy analysis and research and likely oversees the work of more junior staff tops out at $47.83 per hour.

• Nparker and pennymurphy2000 like this

#1407 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:26 AM

Ms James spent several years working for an NGO in the UK, I believe.

Know it all.

#1408 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 19 March 2019 - 01:13 PM

What is perhaps more entertaining is the new Chief of Staff's twitter alter ego - where she deploys grade school level abilities to depict American politicians.  Just what is needed in a quasi political office that should build bridges with those across the political spectrum: @drawrepublicans   

• Nparker and jonny like this

#1409 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 01:37 PM

^Oh, interesting. Those are pretty good.

#1410 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,002 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 01:40 PM

i admit the lindsey graham one was good.  

#1411 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:06 PM

What is perhaps more entertaining is the new Chief of Staff's twitter alter ego - where she deploys grade school level abilities to depict American politicians. Just what is needed in a quasi political office that should build bridges with those across the political spectrum: @drawrepublicans

I noticed that as well.

I suspect she’s pro-Republican.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

#1412 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:07 PM

If the Mayor needed an assistant and council decided that the best way to support her would be to have an open competition for the role then fine. That is not what happened here though. Council approved a salary of $90K plus benefits. The job was marketed at $108K including benefits ($18K a year in benefits for a term position is pretty sweet) and only select people and groups were "invited" to apply. The job was not posted anywhere nor were any recruiters asked to help find a qualified candidate. 

I don't think that anyone will be surprised at the choice. This is nothing more than an abuse of taxpayer funds in my opinion. For the amount being paid, a far more qualified candidate could have been found if the public had been given an opportunity to apply for the job and a proper process run,

Edited by spanky123, 19 March 2019 - 04:08 PM.

#1413 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:11 PM

What is perhaps more entertaining is the new Chief of Staff's twitter alter ego - where she deploys grade school level abilities

Grade school style, perhaps...but the ability is very good. She has a real talent for capturing a likeness. Reminds me a little of Barry Blitt's style.

#1414 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:13 PM

Ms James spent several years working for an NGO in the UK, I believe.

Do you have a link to her CV? Looks like UVIC has taken down the page that details her background. The justification for $100K+ salary was that Helps needed someone with 10+ years experience working in the public sector.

#1415 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,002 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:20 PM

not sure there was a uvic page on her.

ubc:    https://politics.ubc.ca/alison-james/

#1416 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:29 PM

not sure there was a uvic page on her.

ubc:    https://politics.ubc.ca/alison-james/

https://www.uvic.ca/...jamesalison.php

#1417 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:31 PM

...I don't think that anyone will be surprised at the choice...

That Her Worseship even went this far afield is amazing.

#1418 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:38 PM

That Her Worseship even went this far afield is amazing.

Well if you are looking to make the jump to higher office then hiring the daughter of one of your party's kingmakers is certainly not a bad move.

#1419 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:45 PM

Found her linkedin profile. https://www.linkedin...n/alisonljames/

So Helps goes to council asking for an $108K salary (inc benefits) because she needs someone with an MBA and 10 years experience working in the public sector at a senior level. Council reluctantly agrees and then Helps goes and hires someone who does not appear to have an MBA nor ANY experience working at a senior public sector job.

Looking at her profile it doesn't appear that any prior job she listed would have been paying her more than $60K a year. What a friggen joke and abuse of process in my opinion. I wonder what Isitt and the others are thinking. Looks to me that they got played.

Edited by spanky123, 19 March 2019 - 04:49 PM.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#1420 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:49 PM

Her profile is now down...
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users