City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#1521 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:15 PM

Is Councillor Collins new to Victoria?

Surely she also knows that the City of Victoria benefits hugely by having a massive commercial tax base as it is effectively the downtown for the entirety of the CRD?

^this

Of course downtown Victoria is going to have a larger police budget than other cities. It benefits by being able to keep all of the commercial revenue to itself.

An analogy is opening up a restaurant to then get annoyed that your janitorial services are more expensive than the residential houses around you.
  • jonny likes this

#1522 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:42 AM

edit

Edited by spanky123, 23 March 2019 - 10:48 AM.

#1523 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 01:30 PM

There might be some sensible governance at #1 Centennial Square tomorrow.

Three local children have a chance to sit in the Victoria Mayor’s seat on Tuesday. The “Mayor for a Day” event will see seven and eight-year old children tour the town and get a taste of municipal politics...

https://www.vicnews....ors-on-tuesday/

• AndrewReeve and mbjj like this

#1524 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 02:32 PM

There might be some sensible governance at #1 Centennial Square tomorrow.

Let me guess, Carole James' grandkids?!

I don't remember seeing a colouring contest set up at polling stations. Anyone else?

Edited by spanky123, 25 March 2019 - 02:34 PM.

#1525 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 02:38 PM

...I don't remember seeing a colouring contest set up at polling stations. Anyone else?

Based on the 2018 election results I think many CoV electors filled in their ballots with crayons - and definitely coloured outside the lines.

• mbjj likes this

#1526 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 March 2019 - 09:56 PM

I see the CoV are at least looking at getting more voting machines and-or opening more voting places for the next municipal election, to cut down on the lineups that happened in the last one.

In the getting things right department, it's a tiny start...

• AndrewReeve likes this

#1527 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 05:18 AM

it's 2019. is online voting really that hard to figure out and make secure?  that's where truly progressive administrations would be going.  yes you can still have regular polls too but 90%+ should be online.i truly cannot believe the potential downside or danger surpasses the immediate increase in voter accessibility and ease.  not to mention the guaranteed 15-30% increase in turnout.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 March 2019 - 05:22 AM.

#1528 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 06:46 AM

it's 2019. is online voting really that hard to figure out and make secure?  that's where truly progressive administrations would be going.  yes you can still have regular polls too but 90%+ should be online.i truly cannot believe the potential downside or danger surpasses the immediate increase in voter accessibility and ease.  not to mention the guaranteed 15-30% increase in turnout.

Yes, it is very, very hard. Uninformed or poorly advised administrations that want to look progressive and modern pursue online voting, with very mixed and generally negative results. Smaller municipalities must use packaged service solutions, hoping they are reliable. Take a look at the issues which developed in the recent municipal elections in Ontario.

Further, how do you propose to control the sale or assignment of PINs, or the lack of independence in a person's exercise of their voting rights, e.g. where dictatorial spouses intervene? Hackers have been successful.

Sorry, the only way to have a safe and secure election is for citizens to get off their duff and go to a voting place so as to prove their identity and vote without fear of oversight. Election officials can attend on disabled voters where required. Voting machines can help speed up the process of casting a ballot and compiling results.

Edited by Torrontes, 26 March 2019 - 06:46 AM.

• Coreyburger, AndrewReeve, Midnightly and 1 other like this

#1529 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 06:51 AM

dictatorial spouses in a municipal election is so small an issue it’s worth having a few cases in exchange for thousands more voting.

you open up city hall for 21 straight days from 8 to 8 including weekends. people come. they go through the normal process to qualify. they then can wait in line to vote or they can take their pin and ballot package home to vote with online.

one polling place at city hall. 21x 12-hour days for everyone to get there. city hall uses current admin staff to raise and lower staffing needs at the counter as demand dictates.

done.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 March 2019 - 06:54 AM.

#1530 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:00 AM

Let me guess, Carole James' grandkids?!

I don't remember seeing a colouring contest set up at polling stations. Anyone else?

Winning a colouring contest leaves these kids with a measurable accomplishment and makes them eminently more qualified than any member of the Victoria Vision slate.

#1531 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:29 AM

While I agree that a colouring assignment at polling stations would help ensure those who vote meet a certain cognitive level, maybe there could be just 2 or 3 basic questions, e.g.
Which is a more important function of local government: maintaining roads and municipal infrastructure or singlehandedly attempting to solve climate change?

Is sexual assault/harrassment
A. A terrible thing, for which perpetrators should be held to account; or
B. The best thing ever.

Just a couple of basic questions.
  • Nparker, spanky123 and Victoria Watcher like this

#1532 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:30 AM

Winning a colouring contest leaves these kids with a measurable accomplishment and makes them eminently more qualified than any member of the Victoria Vision slate.

Do you mean the Together Victoria slate?

#1533 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:02 AM

Do you mean the Together Victoria slate?

That's who I meant, thanks.

#1534 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:12 AM

While Together Victoria may have a vision for the city, it's far from 20/20.

#1535 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:59 AM

21x 12-hour days for everyone to get there. city hall uses current admin staff to raise and lower staffing needs at the counter as demand dictates.

A 21 day voting period? 

So you cast your vote on day 1, but then the campaigning continues and either new policies are announced that you despise or some damning information on the candidate comes out prior to day 21. Sorry, you can't change your vote.

Exit polls suggest that Ms. X is leading the polls....

Sorry, extended voting periods are fraught with difficulty, including increased security issues. The election process assumes that candidates are judged on the day.

Perhaps you would prefer a system of social media "likes" over several months, assuming unique IP addresses of course?

• Matt R. likes this

#1536 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 11:20 AM

A 21 day voting period? 

So you cast your vote on day 1, but then the campaigning continues and either new policies are announced that you despise or some damning information on the candidate comes out prior to day 21. Sorry, you can't change your vote.

yes, just like advance voting now.  or our recent mail-in plebiscite on bc voting reform.

Sorry, extended voting periods are fraught with difficulty, including increased security issues. The election process assumes that candidates are judged on the day.

not really we have huge advance voter turnout now.  we've gone from it being only for those that must be absent on voting day to a free-for-all.  people love it.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 March 2019 - 11:21 AM.

#1537 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 11:22 AM

Perhaps you would prefer a system of social media "likes" over several months, assuming unique IP addresses of course?

no. i specifically said the physical check-in a a voting place would be similar to today. why even suggest this when i made my plan very clear? 

this silliness weakens your entire post.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 March 2019 - 11:24 AM.

#1538 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 03:23 PM

Yes, it is very, very hard. Uninformed or poorly advised administrations that want to look progressive and modern pursue online voting, with very mixed and generally negative results. Smaller municipalities must use packaged service solutions, hoping they are reliable. Take a look at the issues which developed in the recent municipal elections in Ontario.

Further, how do you propose to control the sale or assignment of PINs, or the lack of independence in a person's exercise of their voting rights, e.g. where dictatorial spouses intervene? Hackers have been successful.

Sorry, the only way to have a safe and secure election is for citizens to get off their duff and go to a voting place so as to prove their identity and vote without fear of oversight. Election officials can attend on disabled voters where required. Voting machines can help speed up the process of casting a ballot and compiling results.

Electronic voting in Estonia has proven to be an extremely popular and safe method of voting, so much so that nearly 50% of votes were cast online in their most recent parliamentary elections earlier this month.

#1539 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 03:38 PM

^The Government of Canada and the Banks have been working on a "sure identity" online process that would allow you to enter information online that would then allow that website to be able to confirm your identity.
  • thundergun likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1540 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 03:44 PM

it’s not at all difficult.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users