Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#1761 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:46 AM

I probably won't be voting at all. There is neither a party nor a candidate that I can imagine will earn my vote between now and October.

• Matt R. likes this

#1762 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,176 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:50 AM

I do think Collins should resign so we can begin referendum proceedings, which will cost taxpayers $200,000 or so. VicPD could have used those funds.

• AndrewReeve, mbjj and pennymurphy2000 like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1763 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:00 AM

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. If she gives up a seat on council, what are the chances we could elect a more balanced candidate?

#1764 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:00 AM

anybody could have stepped up and run against here. you’d think there would be ndp people keen.

#1765 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:03 AM

anybody could have stepped up and run against here. you’d think there would be ndp people keen.

There was another candidate. Collins defeated her.

I have nothing against UVIC psychology and polysci candidates (of which their seems to be plenty) but I think that we have too many. Instead of just focusing on gender balance issues, I think we should also have balance in academic backgrounds!

• AndrewReeve likes this

#1766 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:07 AM

...If she gives up a seat on council, what are the chances we could elect a more balanced candidate?

About the same as my chances of waking tomorrow to discover than I am 25 years old again.

#1767 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:10 AM

Interesting discussion and vote today at the COTW meeting. The Mayor and council decided to defer a decision to place a notice on title for a Victoria property that has been illegally converted from a duplex to a 4-plex and that has had unpermitted electric, plumbing and building work done. Staff had recommended the notice as the issue with the owner has been ongoing for years and this is not the only property the owner has that the City has been dealing with.

According to Mayor Helps, "she doesn't care that there are extra units (including a carriage house) that have been added". Her only concern is that electrical and plumbing permits get pulled and if the owner satisfies that she is happy even though the property would still be non-conforming with zoning. https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=36412

If that is the new attitude at City Hall then why are folks bothering with licensing and permitting for garden suites or any other redevelopment that adds rental housing? Just build it and if anyone complains reference the Mayor's comments.

• lanforod likes this

#1768 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:10 AM

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. If she gives up a seat on council, what are the chances we could elect a more balanced candidate?

The NDP already has someone lined up to take her seat at City council. Hint look to see who they have been adorning recently.

Edited by spanky123, 18 April 2019 - 09:11 AM.

#1769 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:41 PM

Big yikes that Collins won the nomination, figures that parroting nice-sounding slogans makes you climb the ladder very quickly even if you bring nothing else to the table. Even if they're unlikely to win here, the Tories have my vote so long as they don't pick a complete bozo.

#1770 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:45 PM

There was another candidate. Collins defeated her.

oh yes i know.  thought there might be a bigger crowd.

also home come no media has a vote tally from the nomination?  does the ndp not release that anymore?

#1771 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 April 2019 - 12:30 AM

If a halfway-reasonable independent runs I'll give that person a long hard look, otherwise it'll have to be Green for me.  Can't vote for Collins, Trudeau's crowd have shown themselves to be all talk and no action on anything I care about, and the combination of Harper (federally then) and Ford (provincially in Ont. now) have tainted the Tories beyond redemption.

As for the inevitable byelection in CoV, I'll see what the choices are first. :)

#1772 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:02 PM

Colins was good on messaging here. She had CFAX playing her bs that lots of people were asking her to run all day.

#1773 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:28 AM

Mayor Lisa Helps is recommending that Victoria pay a carbon tax for any corporate air travel undertaken by councillors or staff...Helps said she tries to limit her air travel as much as she can. “None is frivolous, but even still, in a climate emergency, I think we need to make ourselves pay.”...

https://www.timescol...sets-1.23797272

Add by "ourselves" she means CoV taxpayers, since I doubt travel expenses are deducted from her pay.

...About 40 of the 100 city air trips taken last year were to Vancouver

So why fly to Vancouver? Plan ahead and take public transit. After all, she's "wildly enthusiastic" about it.

“I’m wildly enthusiastic about transit,” said Helps...“If people think I’m excited about bikes, wait until they see how excited I am about buses...

https://www.timescol...oard-1.23797267

Better yet, use Skype or other teleconferencing technology. How many of those trips really required that someone attend in person?

• Awaiting Juno, Cassidy, rmpeers and 1 other like this

#1774 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:45 AM

Colins was good on messaging here. She had CFAX playing her bs that lots of people were asking her to run all day.

Collins is very good when she has messaging prepared for her or is asked to follow a script. At council meetings she struggles, often having difficulty framing questions or understanding the responses being given.

If the goal is to have a candidate that will read the que cards and not have to worry about going off script then she is a good fit.
  • Nparker, jonny and Cassidy like this

#1775 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:59 AM

Since it's a climate emergency I trust none of these nimrods go on vacation anywhere except for maybe a tree planting work-cation. In an emergency, nobody can afford even half a day off. All hands on deck. Lead by example, people.
  • Nparker, mbjj and A Girl is No one like this

#1776 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 08:03 AM

and that airport runway expansion should be killed.  the goal should be to eliminate all air travel.  nix the cruise ship home-port plan too for ogden point.

• jonny likes this

#1777 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 08:27 AM

Since it's a climate emergency I trust none of these nimrods go on vacation anywhere except for maybe a tree planting work-cation...

At the very least no one should be jetting off to the 4 corners of the earth to attend climate conferences. The ultimate in hypocrisy.

• A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#1778 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 09:52 AM

At the very least no one should be jetting off to the 4 corners of the earth to attend climate conferences. The ultimate in hypocrisy.

But isn't the goal to build one's personal profile in order to achieve higher office?
  • jonny likes this

#1779 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 10:17 AM

What's really disgusting is that so many of or leaders live in SFHs - the most carbon intensive housing option available. Since it's a climate emergency on top of a housing crisis, they should all be living in micro suites and renting their houses out for a dollar to those in need.

#1780 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 10:27 AM

My current approach is to view their every action through the lens of "will this help me achieve higher political office?" If you treat that as their ONLY motivation, I believe it makes everything else make sense.

If that weren't the case, we'd see every one of them standing up for harassment victs rather than cowering, soulless, in the corner. We would have heard them push for a GOOD bike network rather than wasting a multimillion dollar opportunity... Etc etc etc

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users