Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#1781 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:02 PM

What's really disgusting is that so many of or leaders live in SFHs - the most carbon intensive housing option available. Since it's a climate emergency on top of a housing crisis, they should all be living in micro suites and renting their houses out for a dollar to those in need.

Lol look at Andrew Weaver's riding. Not many people who advocate for climate policies actually give a **** themselves.
  • Nparker likes this

#1782 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:31 PM

Council hard at work preparing for the upcoming COTW meeting next week. Pertinent items being discussed:

1. Mayor Helps proposed that the City write a letter demanding accountability for the Government of Myanmar

2. Mayor Helps proposed that the City write a letter (and presumably she would deliver it) to the FCM at their conference in Quebec City this summer. The proposal is to call on the feds to report on their 2019 plan for housing affordability

3. Mayor Helps and Ms. Collins propose that the taxpayer compensate council and staff whenever they travel by air to the tune of $150 / ton of CO2. I am guessing that they feel that by having the taxpayer absorb the costs then that will cause a behavioral change at City Hall.

https://pub-victoria...English&Item=20

The good stuff usually is proposed the day before the meeting.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#1783 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 01:11 PM

Council hard at work preparing for the upcoming COTW meeting next week. Pertinent items being discussed:

1. Mayor Helps proposed that the City write a letter demanding accountability for the Government of Myanmar
2. Mayor Helps proposed that the City write a letter (and presumably she would deliver it) to the FCM at their conference in Quebec City this summer. The proposal is to call on the feds to report on their 2019 plan for housing affordability
3. Mayor Helps and Ms. Collins propose that the taxpayer compensate council and staff whenever they travel by air to the tune of $150 / ton of CO2. I am guessing that they feel that by having the taxpayer absorb the costs then that will cause a behavioral change at City Hall.

https://pub-victoria...English&Item=20

The good stuff usually is proposed the day before the meeting.

There are no words
  • Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#1784 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,995 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 01:19 PM

housing affordability is not that tough. substantially drop regulations. do it for suites under 400 square feet. then you will house all the homeless.
  • newbie_01 likes this

#1785 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 02:49 PM

Mayor Helps proposed that the City write a letter demanding accountability for the Government of Myanmar

Sort of in keeping with the theme of the season: Jesus wept.

:whyme:   :whyme:   :whyme:   :whyme:   :whyme:

• mbjj likes this

#1786 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,995 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 02:51 PM

I can see now the mysnmar government checking their mail over the recycling bin like i do.

i drop all lindon drugs fliers and letters from myanmar and victoria into the blue bin.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 April 2019 - 02:54 PM.

• RFS and mbjj like this

#1787 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 03:48 PM

nah!...just another  way to divert tax dollars to her slush fund for pet projects...

• Nparker and Love the rock like this

#1788 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 04:56 PM

The stable genius strikes again.

Of course it makes no sense. And of course it will do nothing to combat climate change.

It's just another "neato" idea designed to appeal to the 12,000 okay-with-sexual-harassment people who voted for her.
  • Nparker and On the Level like this

#1789 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:50 AM

What a disgusting council we have.

#1790 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 09:52 AM

Helps notes in a report to council that the city is applying a “climate lens” on all city business and is in the process of developing a detailed Corporate Energy and Emissions Management System.

This was part of the budget when taxes were established?  No.  Funds being taken from the budget from where exactly?  What is not getting funded so the new "Climate reserve fund" can be?  How much is this "detailed Corporate Energy and Emissions Management System" costing, who is building it, what is the goal and how will the ROI be measured?

How can this not make a mess of city finances?

#1791 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 09:58 AM

Would it not be more honourable for any councillor or mayor who travels by air to pay the 150 out of their own pocket? How does this idea make any sense otherwise?
  • Nparker, spanky123, AndrewReeve and 3 others like this

#1792 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 10:30 AM

Did you just put hounourable in the same sentence as councillor and mayor?

• Love the rock and A Girl is No one like this

#1793 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 12:10 PM

Catholic church bombed in Sri Lanka this Easter morning, at least 200 people dead. I assume city Hall and Lisa Helps will be holding a vigil and offering support for the region's Catholics just like they did after the mosque shooting.. right??
  • Nparker, spanky123, jonny and 4 others like this

#1794 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,995 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 12:15 PM

Catholic church bombed in Sri Lanka this Easter morning, at least 200 people dead. I assume city Hall and Lisa Helps will be holding a vigil and offering support for the region's Catholics just like they did after the mosque shooting.. right??

not likely.

• RFS likes this

#1795 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 12:27 PM

wait what?? they want US the tax payer to pay for their actions?? that's like punishing the parents for the activities of the grown adult children.. if they want to pay it it should come out of their salary.. THAT would make them think twice about air travel and look for other options.. people don't make changes unless it fully effects them personally.. and taking it from a third party doesn't effect them what so ever but it does screw over the third party (the tax payer)

• Nparker, spanky123, Torrontes and 1 other like this

#1796 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 12:39 PM

wait what?? they want US the tax payer to pay for their actions?? that's like punishing the parents for the activities of the grown adult children.. if they want to pay it it should come out of their salary.. THAT would make them think twice about air travel and look for other options.. people don't make changes unless it fully effects them personally.. and taking it from a third party doesn't effect them what so ever but it does screw over the third party (the tax payer)

...yep , this will discourage nothing. all it does is allow council to move funds from its' travel budget to spend in their "pet project" budget without it being obvious to the taxpayer...

• Nparker, Awaiting Juno and Victoria Watcher like this

#1797 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:33 AM

Another day, another gallon of green wash used at city hall.  The paying for CO2 emissions will only have an impact on travel if the travel budget at city hall is fixed (ie. $15M) in which case, the number of trips that can be taken for those dollars has just dropped.  Otherwise, it's the tax payers who will be taken to the cleaners.

I still give my head a shake that this was the council elected.  That there was no moderation - and that we are left even more out of balance than we were before.  I'm almost at a point where, I'm looking over at that tweed curtain, and thinking, maybe it's better on the other side of Foul Bay Road. 

I'm tired of the faux environmentalism.  I'm tired of a genuine lack of pragmatism and what appears to be a genuine desire to drive a wedge between Victorians.  

• Nparker, LJ, jonny and 4 others like this

#1798 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:03 AM

Hey Juno. There may be a municipal by-election this autumn. Why not take a shot at it before you decide to move out?

• Nparker likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#1799 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:17 AM

Hey Juno. There may be a municipal by-election this autumn. Why not take a shot at it before you decide to move out

I'd have to float that idea past Mr. Juno (...just as Mr. Juno would have to float past me any such similar ideas on his part).

• Nparker likes this

#1800 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:33 AM

Hey Juno. There may be a municipal by-election this autumn. Why not take a shot at it before you decide to move out?

That and if a gay man who has spent his life combatting workplace harassment can be painted as a right wing zealot, I shudder to think what a gender conforming, married heterosexual, upper middle class, working mother might be made out to be.  The resource demands of a run (sheer time commitment needed), even a by-election run, are daunting -- and seeing several well qualified candidates get passed over in favour of Helps and the together Victoria crew, means that there's some degree of coordination will be needed if a middle of the road pragmatist is to stand a chance against a well resourced candidate supported by a larger political machine, even in a by-election.  In short, the middle needs to convene and pre-choose their candidate, rather than having their vote split three ways while the left takes the seat.

• Nparker, Bob Fugger, jonny and 2 others like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users