Photo

US Midterm Election - 2018

• Please log in to reply
418 replies to this topic

#81 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,103 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:21 AM

The republicans gerrymander and the democrats import voters. Call it 'demographic gerrymandering'. The republicans impose politically advantageous strict voting laws and the democrats are in bed with the media who put out a non-stop barrage of political advertising for them. They all have their advantages

The only way their democracy gets fixed is by fixing the system. Get rid of gerrymandering, limit the money going into elections.

Without that the whole thing is a farce no matter who wins. Unlimited money in elections means unlimited corruption.

#82 nerka

nerka
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:47 AM

But then you had the McCain debacle.

It is extremely sad when the idea of a legislator displaying some independence is considered a "debacle".  The US is not a parliamentary democracy where whipped votes should be the norm or the requirement.  Indeed the US system of checks and balances fails when Congress no longer protects its independence and is 100% partisan all the time.

For the record if you want to label the failed Obamacare repeal as a debacle it could just as well be the Murkowski debacle or the Collins debacle. 

BTW four more states will likely have the Medicare expansion mandated by Obamacare after last night: Maine where the Repub governor was blocking it, and Idaho, Utah and Nebraska that all had ballot initiatives in favour of expansion pass last night

• LeoVictoria likes this

#83 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,394 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 12:26 PM

It was tongue in cheek just to illustrate how Trump wasn’t in control the Senate.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#84 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:32 PM

America is so effed politically. Both parties and their leaders are disgusting. The corruption and the power of money in their political system is appalling. What has their federal government actually accomplished since the 80's, aside from $22 trillion (and climbing) in debt?

If they didn't have such a strong constitution, North America would be a disaster.

• lanforod likes this

#85 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,103 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 03:08 PM

America is so effed politically. Both parties and their leaders are disgusting. The corruption and the power of money in their political system is appalling. What has their federal government actually accomplished since the 80's, aside from $22 trillion (and climbing) in debt?

If they didn't have such a strong constitution, North America would be a disaster.

Someone there needs to work on those underlying problems.   I have yet to see either of the parties make it an issue though.   I think both of them depend so heavily on massive donors and gerrymandering that they don't want to risk reforming the system.    

Dems were celebrating their governors win so that they could gerrymander in their favour for the next election.  Instead of calling out the whole system as insane and pushing to fix it.  

• jonny likes this

#86 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,176 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 07 November 2018 - 04:58 PM

People dontcha know

The Fourteenth Amendment allows for

Biden/Obama

• Rob Randall likes this

#87 Bernard

Bernard
  • 4,241 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:16 PM

People dontcha know

The Fourteenth Amendment allows for

Biden/Obama

I think you mean the 22nd amendment - that is the one dealing with the two-term limit for president

#88 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 4,870 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:31 PM

I don't think it makes a difference. They understand the propaganda value of the constitution & doing things legally, etc but they're more than happy to find some weasly way around it if they think it's necessary, such as the situation with julian assange. & it didn't start with trump btw.

Someone there needs to work on those underlying problems.   I have yet to see either of the parties make it an issue though.   I think both of them depend so heavily on massive donors and gerrymandering that they don't want to risk reforming the system.    
Dems were celebrating their governors win so that they could gerrymander in their favour for the next election.  Instead of calling out the whole system as insane and pushing to fix it.

the other thing is that people have their heads irretrievably in the sand. they've been taught from birth that the us is special and their checks & balances will protect them, so the thought that any of their institutions "need work" is kind of taboo, or even offensive.

Edited by amor de cosmos, 07 November 2018 - 06:36 PM.

• LeoVictoria and nerka like this

#89 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,394 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:40 AM

“They all look alike.” - Hillary Clinton.

Where’s the media’s outrage that a Democrat and a two-time presidential hopeful recently made an (actually) racist remark to a reporter during an interview? The little coverage this did get was swiped away as no more than a joke. Now can you imagine if a Republican had said that?

So even with extreme media bias and the one-sided nature of “reporting” over the last two years for the Republicans to do as well as they did, that says a lot about the media’s waning influence over people’s political choices.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#90 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:51 AM

I don't think it makes a difference. They understand the propaganda value of the constitution & doing things legally, etc but they're more than happy to find some weasly way around it if they think it's necessary, such as the situation with julian assange. & it didn't start with trump btw.

Regarding propaganda, it's not really that great of a democracy. The federal government functions very poorly, and the political choice is between two garbage parties. 

Where’s the media’s outrage that a Democrat and a two-time presidential hopeful recently made an (actually) racist remark to a reporter during an interview? The little coverage this did get was swiped away as no more than a joke. Now can you imagine if a Republican had said that?

So even with extreme media bias and the one-sided nature of “reporting” over the last two years for the Republicans to do as well as they did, that says a lot about the media’s waning influence over people’s political choices.

Calm down, Tucker. She's a loser. Nobody cares. Besides, I'm sure you've never made an off-colour joke...

• Cassidy and N E Body like this

#91 N E Body

N E Body
  • 234 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:57 AM

What about What about What about...

Come on... give it a break. If she was the President, or had any power for that matter, the furor would have gone on for months.

... but she's nobody now.

... and... for the record... she was making fun of the interviewer, Kara Swisher. and taking a swipe at the Republicans... that was clear to everyone in the room, including Swisher.

Edited by N E Body, 08 November 2018 - 09:10 AM.

#92 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,394 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:07 AM

Calm down, Tucker. She's a loser. Nobody cares. Besides, I'm sure you've never made an off-colour joke...

Scuse' me? What are you trying to say, exactly? That I walk around making racist jokes?

Know it all.

#93 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,281 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:08 AM

I think most people prefer to just let Hillary drift off into nothingness.

#94 RFS

RFS
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:12 AM

I think most people prefer to just let Hillary drift off into nothingness.

Thats why we have Pelosi now!!  :1954_dancing: Trump said he will give her the votes for speaker if dems don't.  He wants Pelosi SO BAD

#95 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:13 AM

Now can you imagine if a Republican had said that?

But Republicans say the same and far worse every single day of the year Mike?

• Monkey it up
  • Cotton pickin'
  • Low intelligence
  • It would be terrible to have Iranian heritage (Lindsey Graham)

And it goes on and on and on. There are thousands of examples.

Do a Google search for "Republican racist comments" (in quotes) and you get 360 hits.

Do a search for "Democrat racist comments" (in quotes) and you get 9 results.

I don't even see your point in light of the abundance of coverage the Clinton's brutal efforts at humor actually got.

I also don't get what Clinton has to do with anything. She's currently a private citizen, essentially a nobody in terms of the Dem/Rep landscape.

Edited by Cassidy, 08 November 2018 - 09:13 AM.

#96 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,394 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:13 AM

Just a couple of days ago she was held up as a possible 2020 presidential candidate.

In fact the NYT published a story which included excerpts from the very interview where she made her off-hand 'joke' but there was nary a mention of the, um, uncomfortable faux pas. Can you imagine what would have happened if a failed Republican candidate had said the same thing? Cassidy would have seen his Google search spike to 361 results.

October 29th that nobody resurfaced: https://www.nytimes....-president.html

“Well, I’d like to be president,” she said, during the public taping at the 92nd Street Y of Ms. Swisher’s podcast. "The work would be work that I feel very well prepared for having been at the Senate for eight years, having been a diplomat in the State Department, and it’s just going to be a lot of heavy lifting.”

Know it all.

#97 N E Body

N E Body
  • 234 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:18 AM

A failed Republican candidate would have said the same thing... and meant it.

Edited by N E Body, 08 November 2018 - 09:18 AM.

#98 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,717 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:20 AM

It is only racist if your opponent says it.

#99 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,524 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:29 AM

In reference to? Citation?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#100 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,394 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:32 AM

In reference to? Citation?

A reporter interviewing her before an audience misidentified Senator Corey Booker and AG Eric Holder, to which Clinton said "I know they all look alike," to which the interviewer immediately retorted in a serious tone, "no they don't." Clinton then smirks and the audience bursts out in laughter.

Stay classy, Clinton, stay classy.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users