NEST
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1100 Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 12
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR)
Sales status: pre-sales
NEST is a 12-storey condominium tower with ground and second floor commercial space at Yates and Cook streets ... (view full profile)
Learn more about NEST on Citified.ca      Official website: https://nestbychard.com
Photo

[Fernwood] Nest & Haven | Condos; office; retail | 12 & 6-storeys

• Please log in to reply
289 replies to this topic

#61 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 02:26 PM

This project has been significantly changed per several documents uploaded to dev tracker yesterday.  In addition to the design changes (see images below), there are no more rentals included in the project.  The 12-storey tower will have 113 units whilst the 6-storey tower will now offer 104 units of *affordable ownership condos* (i.e. the entire building has become affordable ownership, similar to Vivid at the Yates).  Thus, almost half of the 217 units proposed are targeted for affordable, and about a third of the units in the affordable ownership building (a partnership with BC Housing) will have two bedrooms.  

CSPlaza.png

• Mike K. likes this

#62 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 03:28 PM

This goes to CotW on Thursday Oct 3; staff recommend forwarding it to a public hearing.
  • Mike K. likes this

#63 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:10 PM

Does anyone know if this was approved to move forward to a public hearing yesterday ...? 

#64 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:14 AM

Victoria residents will get their say on a large development at Cook and Yates that includes a tower with 13 storeys — five more than is currently permitted at that location under the city’s official community plan.

Councillors meeting in committee of the whole voted to send the project to a public hearing so people can weigh in on the developer’s vision for the properties at 1309 and 1315 Cook St., 1100-1120 Yates St. and 1109-1115 Johnson St.

https://www.timescol...ring-1.23967726

Coun. Ben Isitt, however, voted against sending the project to public hearing, arguing that it doesn’t go far enough in providing affordable housing for the city’s poorest residents.

“If we are going to open up the [official community plan] and grant these kinds of entitlements beyond the existing zoning, I think we have to channel that new value into affordability for the poorer half of the population,” he said.

“For me to be able to support this, it would require a portion of the new units be residential rental.

“If we look at the size of this project, it’s going to be definitely skewed to more affluent people.”

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 October 2019 - 06:15 AM.

#65 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 09:39 AM

The size of this project means it is skewed towards affluent people?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#66 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 09:47 AM

who knows that that means right?  i don't understand the city's obsession with attracting all the poorest individuals.  

#67 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 09:50 AM

Well that is obviously why all the richest people live in View Towers!
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#68 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:24 AM

wealthy people pay most of the city bills.  why not welcome them? honestly dallas road from clover point to the coast guard base should be full of high rises.  really get some tax money.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 October 2019 - 10:27 AM.

#69 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:58 AM

The overriding philosophy of the current CoV council seems to be that "rich" people (i.e. anyone who is actually self-supporting) are a necessary evil, since the taxes they pay (and pay and pay) maintain the real citizens of Victoria, the downtrodden proletariat. Certain members of LeftCouncil cannot help but stoke the flames of a class war at every opportunity.

• newbie_01 likes this

#70 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:50 AM

Well that is obviously why all the richest people live in View Towers!

Developers don't seem to get it. If they want to address the housing crisis then they need to start building brand new 50-year-old apartment blocks. Otherwise, compassionate and concerned Victorians will turn their projects down every time.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#71 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 02:43 PM

I also want an affordable brand new car so I want them to bring back the $3,790 1982 Hyundai Pony.
  • Nparker likes this

#72 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 03:16 PM

the pony was a revolution. they also made a “sport” version with louvres on the rear window etc.

but in all seriousness it did change the way cars were built marketed and priced.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 October 2019 - 03:17 PM.

#73 IPH

IPH
  • 271 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:31 AM

Hyundai Pony?!! Comrade Ben seams to think he can walk into the Porsche dealer and say I only have $5K but demand the red one. 

Council needs to understand that land costs in Victoria are some of the highest in the country and developers are not philanthropic foundations.  The only way to get developers to provide affordable housing is to allow more density on a given piece of land or push the price of the market housing (Rich) portion of each development even higher to subsidize the affordable portion.  Developers & buyers are starting to say enough and looking to other municipalities to build & buy in. 

• Nparker likes this

#74 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 10:53 AM

I don't think the market is going to give up on Victoria quite that easily. If there is a market for the housing, which there overwhelmingly is, developers will provide supply. Its cost, however, will be inflated due to bureaucracy.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#75 IPH

IPH
  • 271 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:11 AM

Perhaps not completely, but I have spoken to two major developers in the last month who have walked away from land purchase agreements in Victoria.  They cited councils policy's and unreasonable expectations for affordable housing as the reason for doing so saying there was too much uncertainty. The are both now negotiating on properties in other local municipalities.

• Nparker likes this

#76 dangnaggit

dangnaggit
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:13 AM

Looks like some drilling happening in the parking lot.

Has this project been passed by City?

#77 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:16 AM

Not yet.

Know it all.

#78 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:23 AM

Looks like some drilling happening in the parking lot...

Soil testing I would imagine. This often proceeds actual construction by as much as a couple of years.

#79 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:35 AM

Took a quick look through the required legal agreements on this one, and many will be happy to know that the developer is required to underground all BC Hydro utility lines along Yates Street. Cook Street lines are on the opposite side of the street so no change there, and no mention of the lines on Johnson Street...

Full text of what's required prior to the Public Hearing starts on page 10 of the minutes: https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=46583

• Nparker likes this

#80 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 12:44 PM

Interesting. I noticed that The Yates on Yates seemed to have buried their power lines as well. Is there some reason why they’re moving them underground on Yates but not other streets?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users