BC's Sergeant-at-Arms and Clerk of the Legislative Assembly placed on leave

• Please log in to reply
543 replies to this topic

#321 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:45 PM

If that's a recent photo, it doesn't actually look like that splitter has ever been used. I wouldn't expect one to stay that clean.

#322 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:49 PM

Personally I think that burning wood in the core should be banned in any event. This all reminds me of the Seinfeld when Elaine has to justify each of her expenses with the exception of the sable hat...

• Matt R. likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#323 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:51 PM

Saving the world is more expensive than it used to be.

Well, all those trips... China... San Francisco... all essential to her work as a Big City Mayor. Its not we're all working hard to pay for her junkets, poets laureate, bike lane overruns, proposed 130k assistants, campaign stunt statue removals, Elsner payouts, etc. No, she has the utmost respect for those tax dollars.
  • Nparker, Love the rock and Cassidy like this

#324 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:02 PM

The “government” has a much to do with this investigation as aliens have to do with Victoria’s real-estate prices.

Didn't the current government claim it had no idea what was going on? Horgan even made a now famous remark regarding how he was completely in the dark.

I mean just days ago Plecas was a laughing stock facing a petition to have him removed. Now he’s a hero and the “government” is doing something about the spending? A huh.

The idea he was a laughingstock was essentially political spin from the Libs, though. That idea came apart yesterday like a log in Craig James' wood splitter.
  • nerka likes this

#325 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:32 PM

I find it funny that all y'all think that either side of the government "claims" they had "no idea" none of this stuff was going on l, was in fact, going on.

What we have here is a "political insider" who was, burned, as well as outcast by his party basically blowing everything up.

Why? Because his career was destroyed by standing up to Clark. His only legacy at this point was taking the entire corrupt organization down.
  • Nparker, rjag and jonny like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#326 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:40 PM

Why? Because his career was destroyed by standing up to Clark. His only legacy at this point was taking the entire corrupt organization down.

Yup, I imagine there will be more than just these 2

• jonny likes this

#327 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:52 PM

DxePfGuU8AAQ0dx.jpg

#328 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:25 PM

We’re gonna need an old fashioned wood splitting competition.
  • Matt R. likes this

#329 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:41 PM

But who has been approving these purchases? 

I understand these guys are working under different rules than those applied to regular BC workers and politicians.

But that wood splitter invoice--is it submitted somewhere? Did another pair of eyeballs look at it? Or does the office simply submit a final bill for all purchases ganged together in one figure or category?

Does anyone know?

Keith Baldrey:

only the Speaker had access to expense info. Not subject to FOI. Not accessible to anyone other than the Speaker, a fact lost on so many people.

#330 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,511 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:11 PM

There is no use for a wood splitter unless you’ve already “bucked” the fallen tree into logs. Only once you’ve done that would you use a splitter. And presumably the crew that bucked the wood, like a tree service, would have their own splitter or not even need one.

So as Plecas says, a chainsaw and an axe are more than enough to solve any dilemma involving a tree, unless the need to split logs occurs and for whatever reason a basic maul (a big axe) can’t do the job. But if it can’t do the job good luck lifting the log onto the lil’ splitter.

Anyone familiar with tree removal or clearing windfall knows how the process works and the need for a splitter as described by James seems is a little odd, but hey, if you’ve got a bunch of firewood delivered and want to split it into smaller pieces it’s a great friend to have.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#331 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:25 AM

He stole the wood splitter from the people of B.C., and had it towed to his house for his personal use.

Whether there is more evidence that manifests itself so obviously or not remains to be seen ... but the wood splitter is a case of 100% pure theft.

• jonny likes this

#332 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,939 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:27 AM

it’s not that clear cut. forgive the pun.

#333 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:44 AM

it’s not that clear cut. forgive the pun.

The pun is indeed excellent, but anybody who actually believes the story offered in defence of the log splitters purchase needs to give their head a shake.

The kinds of "crimes" being described here are all paper-based crimes, in that there is paperwork in existence to back up each accusation. 

The thieves were basing their belief that they would never be detected on the fact that there was no official way for anybody but the thieves themselves to get a look at the paper trail.

They answered to nobody, nobody vetted their expenses ... and they knew it.

I get the "innocent until proven guilty" concept, but a log splitter stored at a private residence for use in a windstorm to split trees on the legislature grounds for use as firewood inside the legislature? (do the Parliament Buildings even have a working fireplace?).

I'll stick to my previous post!

• jonny, Midnightly and nerka like this

#334 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:52 AM

If these guys had half a brain between them they would have concocted some better damage control.

As soon as they were frog marched out of the Leg they should have realized the gig was up and promptly paid for all the stolen merch.

Then at their news conference, instead of acting completely bewildered with this fake innocence act James says, "I wanted a log splitter but because my personal credit card had a limit I used my Legislature account as a temporary measure then paid it back using my own funds. I realize it was bending the rules but my intention was to reimburse as soon as possible and I did just that". Etc.

Only after Plecas released his report would the public realize he only paid after getting caught but by then the outrage would have been tempered, the media would have mostly lost interest and the public perception would have been closer to ordinary expense padding and sloppy records keeping than outright brass balls theft.

• Cassidy likes this

#335 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,939 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:54 AM

remember how the senator was acquitted on all charges.

brazeau and duffy.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 January 2019 - 06:55 AM.

#336 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:57 AM

(do the Parliament Buildings even have a working fireplace?)

According to Tom Fletcher of Black Media, "there are 2 wood-burning fireplaces in the building, one in the speaker's office and one in the clerk's. Not much used though."

• Cassidy likes this

#337 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:58 AM

If that's a recent photo, it doesn't actually look like that splitter has ever been used. I wouldn't expect one to stay that clean.

Naw... he has been charging us for wood splitter "auto detailing" as well.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#338 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:01 AM

I know the log splitter is minor compared to the other thefts but man, it is funny. Like why stop there, go get a jet ski. If anyone asks say it's in case of a crisis at the Legislature and we have to get from one end of the fountain to the other, fast.

• nerka likes this

#339 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:04 AM

remember how the senator was acquitted on all charges.

brazeau and duffy.

Both on somewhat obscure technicalities (administrative errors rather than crimes in Duffy's case) while most Canadians knew (and know) they were guilty as sin.

Brazeau pled guilty to assault and cocaine posession, and got off a couple of others for reasons that aren't particularly clear to the public.

Either way, neither Duffy or Brazeau did anything involving physical evidence so large and so obvious that it had to be towed by a truck to their house!

Edited by Cassidy, 23 January 2019 - 07:07 AM.

#340 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,939 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:05 AM

or across to vic west when the bridge is out.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users