Photo

BC's Sergeant-at-Arms and Clerk of the Legislative Assembly placed on leave

• Please log in to reply
483 replies to this topic

#481 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,157 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:39 AM

I think the lesson here might be "don't thwart the corruption of other politicians if you're not prepared to have your own corruption come to light".

I think that Plecas would have been in a better position if he had addressed the concerns directly with the staff and given them an opportunity to fix them. Instead it appears as though he allowed the abuses to continue while he ran his own little sting operation. He then went and made public criminal accusations against someone who has now been cleared of any wrongdoing. I fear that we will get no recovery against James and will be paying for the false allegations against Lenz. This could have been handled far more professionally with a better outcome.

• On the Level and Torrontes like this

#482 todd

todd
  • 5,913 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:56 AM

I find this unbelievable historically the clerk has always been a position of honour and truthfulness. https://www.cbc.ca/a...ths-i-saw-caddy

#483 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,015 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:45 AM

I find this unbelievable historically the clerk has always been a position of honour and truthfulness. https://www.cbc.ca/a...ths-i-saw-caddy

Link is meant for the other thread...

#484 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 187 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:39 AM

It appears that a culture of obfuscation developed at the legislature, largely driven by personal greed and a sense of entitlement. Apparently all members, the speaker and the clerk became adherents.

"What can we get away with?", as distinct from "What is right and proper?", as "we are certainly worth it, and under-compensated for our contribution". It's a deadly sin.

Transparency and independent oversight are effective tools to combat such evil tendencies, but both were sadly lacking as regards legislature operations. Plecas didn't initiate his investigation out of a sense of moral outrage, but rather because he was denied the emoluments which he believed he rightly deserved, like having a hand-picked executive assistant (remind you of anyone?). In some respects, James has become the convenient scapegoat. His mistake was not being sufficiently generous to Plecas.

The sergeant-at-arms, a former police officer, was a witness to all these sordid goings on and remained silent. Really? He may not have been actively involved, but most dispassionate observers would have a hard time believing he is completely blameless.

• todd likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users