Photo

City of Victoria | City Family | Municipal reconciliation efforts

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#141 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:35 PM

...I guess facts only matter to the lefties until they don't.

To be fair, there is just as must misinformation spread on the right side of the spectrum...or did you not see/hear about the Trumper-tantrum on TV last night?

• shoeflack likes this

#142 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:50 PM

I'm undecided how I feel about this particular pipeline.

But very strongly opposed to the way this has been handled by the RCMP. Hunderds of members mobilized in tactical gear? Not allowing the media in? Give me a break. I think that's what most people are upset about.

#143 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:05 PM

But very strongly opposed to the way this has been handled by the RCMP. Hunderds of members mobilized in tactical gear? Not allowing the media in? Give me a break. I think that's what most people are upset about.

If the police are arresting drug dealers or other criminals they don't invite the media to watch.

I think that it is common sense. When you are going to arrest people who have said that they will resist arrest then you want to keep the public and media out so that nobody is injured and you want to use sufficient force such that a battle doesn't ensue. 

Had the police not taken these precautions and somebody was injured (or worse) then people would be complaining about that as well.

Edited by spanky123, 09 January 2019 - 06:06 PM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#144 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:09 PM

I had a friend who always attends these sorts of things tell me she went because there were soldiers with machine guns arresting peaceful protestors and that's un-Canadian.

Well, they were RCMP with rifles arresting a few people who defied a court order to not blockade a road by actually making a second blockade complete with barbed wire, but I guess facts only matter to the lefties until they don't.

Unfortunately it is the media that manufacturers outage to sell more advertising. The average person is too busy/lazy to dig into any details.

Edited by spanky123, 09 January 2019 - 06:10 PM.

• jonny likes this

#145 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:00 PM

To be fair, there is just as must misinformation spread on the right side of the spectrum...or did you not see/hear about the Trumper-tantrum on TV last night?

I try to ignore American politics as much as I can. Can't stand it anymore.

My point was that the left complains about Trump's lies and misinformation but then goes and pulls similar stunts when it benefits them.

#146 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:08 PM

I only saw two in tactical gear and a bunch in regular RCMP garb, but I didn't look at all the coverage.

What I saw was a rather safe and orderly police operation. Protestors actually at times put their hands on RCMP constables, who thankfully did not overreact. In most of the world somebody would have gotten shot or at least bean bagged after a barrage of tear gas.

Nobody got hurt, and I hope the temperature gets turned down a bunch of notches because the rhetoric does not match reality.
  • Rob Randall and Nparker like this

#147 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:28 PM

We live in an 'instant information' society so it is strange when the info is blacked out...but it was done for a reason.

First off there werent hundreds of RCMP most likely closer to 50-60.

Second, its in a very remote area so they brought in a tactical squad as reinforcements have to travel several hundred km from Prince George. 

Third, the more its livestreamed the more chance someone will want to play the martyr/victim etc....so when you cut off their comms to the outside world you effectively neutralize the situation and folks tend to be far more compliant.

Four, apart from the clip of them climbing the first barricade we didnt hear anything so end result was today they had a conversation and the Chiefs decided to open the 2nd barricade and let everyone through.

Most folks are reasonable when they dont have the crazies egging them on. I'm surprised Isitt didnt paddle his canoe up there to be in solidarity with them

• Nparker, LJ and mbjj like this

#148 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:36 PM

...My point was that the left complains about Trump's lies and misinformation but then goes and pulls similar stunts when it benefits them.

There are no political winners in today's world.

• jonny and rmpeers like this

#149 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:43 PM

...I'm surprised Isitt didnt paddle his canoe up there to be in solidarity with them

He was too busy *****ing that an emergency bypass on the Malahat will destroy all life on southern Vancouver Island:
https://www.cheknews...-island-523278/
(Comrade Ben adds his usual asinine remarks at around 1:27 in the above clip)

• rjag and mbjj like this

#150 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:42 AM

I don't wonder at all: their every action and every word is meant to appease their supporters, even when it is entirely contradictory.

Am I wrong, or is there a contradiction between the mayor's support for hereditary chiefs versus her disavowal of the British monarchy?
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#151 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:46 AM

Am I wrong, or is there a contradiction between the mayor's support for hereditary chiefs versus her disavowal of the British monarchy?

Selective hypocrisy....its endemic with progressives

#152 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:47 AM

...is there a contradiction between the mayor's support for hereditary chiefs versus her disavowal of the British monarchy?

There may very well be a contradiction, but I doubt Her Worseship would see it that way. She's very astute at rationalizing her actions. See the Elsner investigation for some exceptional political flip-flopping.

• rmpeers likes this

#153 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:49 AM

Selective hypocrisy....its endemic with progressives

You need to realize that in 2019 the only people who give a **** about things like hypocrisy are aging white boomers who still think politics is a discussion between people with different opinions but the same basic goals and values
  • Mike K., rjag, spanky123 and 2 others like this

#154 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:56 AM

You need to realize that in 2019 the only people who give a **** about things like hypocrisy are aging white boomers who still think politics is a discussion between people with different opinions but the same basic goals and values

Yup, like Trudeau and the Kokanee Grope, he gives himself a hall pass but crucifies anyone else.....Unfortunately the hypocrisy of these folks, if not called out will only empower them to do more stupid $hit under the guise of the 'Grand Experiment' 

#155 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:57 AM

I doubt there are more than 100 people in the entire province of BC who understand the governance structure, if you will, of more than a handful of bands. 

I was listening to an Ellis Ross interview the other day (he was a Councillor and then Chief Councillor of the Haisla) and even he said they're unclear in his nation on what the role is between elected and hereditary leaders. 

Multiply that by the 203 bands there are in BC (I think I previsously said 198, but I read last night that there's 203) and....what a confounding situation we have.

I've also read that hereditary chiefs have no role that is formally recognized by the Government of Canada. So, unless the courts decide otherwise, these hereditary chiefs have no standing under Canadian law. It would be dangerous if the government started giving them power. 

• Nparker likes this

#156 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:58 AM

There may very well be a contradiction, but I doubt Her Worseship would see it that way. She's very astute at rationalizing her actions. See the Elsner investigation for some exceptional political flip-flopping.

She doesn't need to rationalize anything, the fact that she was elected empowers her to do whatever she wants.

• rmpeers likes this

#157 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:48 PM

I'll just leave this observation here, lets hope Mr Isitt and Ms Helps et al read this

https://twitter.com/...246654390558727

Ernie Crey @Cheyom1
FollowingFollowing @Cheyom1
More

Folks tell me that pipelines & the marine shipment of oil are too risky. I think poverty is the biggest risk to the safety, health & survival of Indigenous peoples. Doubts? Read the studies & reports from commissions of inquiry on Indigenous peoples, & then tell me I am wrong.

• Mike K., Nparker, spanky123 and 2 others like this

#158 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:23 PM

I guess facts only matter to the lefties until they don't.

They matter to me. I have spent too much time the last couple of days correcting my fellow "lefties" when they keep confusing "some families" with "the First Nations elected government".

I'm amazed how so many people seem willing to overthrow a democratic government for hereditary rulers in this case but rail against our Constitutional Monarchy like it's evil incarnate.

• Mike K., rjag, spanky123 and 4 others like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#159 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:00 PM

They matter to me. I have spent too much time the last couple of days correcting my fellow "lefties" when they keep confusing "some families" with "the First Nations elected government".

I'm amazed how so many people seem willing to overthrow a democratic government for hereditary rulers in this case but rail against our Constitutional Monarchy like it's evil incarnate.

Agreed. I don't think you can have it both ways. If you say its different for Indigenous people to achieve positions of power or influence by birthright, I'd say you are straying in the realm of condescension or reverse racism.

#160 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:05 PM

Agreed. I don't think you can have it both ways. If you say its different for Indigenous people to achieve positions of power or influence by birthright, I'd say you are straying in the realm of condescension or reverse racism.

the left is big on non-democracies though.   they worship che guevara the mass murderer.  and islamic countries with dictators or cleric leaders.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 January 2019 - 04:08 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users