Photo

City of Victoria | City Family | Municipal reconciliation efforts

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#101 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:28 AM

So now even if you sign a deal with the elected chief and council, someone else claiming to be a heredetary chief can overule that decision and the land controlled by those heredetary chiefs is whatever they say it is and not just limited to treaty or reserve lands?

Correct. 

First Nations themselves and their clans (and sub-clans?) cannot even agree themselves on how their own nation should be governed. How can Canadian society be expected to take these claims seriously when there's so much infighting and outright confusion? 

Now, infighting is nothing new. But multiply this by the 198 FNs that exist in BC alone and it's easy to see how we have managed to make so little progress in 150 years. 

You know that the BC NDP isn't going to do anything about it and if the pipeline company just pays off these new chiefs then 100 more will appear along the route.

Correct. Well, the BC Minister of Forests is up there supporting the blockade, so I guess the NDP isn't doing nothing about it. 

#102 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:35 AM

fn staged sit-ins at fish farms.  look what happened.

#103 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:40 AM

fn staged sit-ins at fish farms.  look what happened.

I really get the sense that extremists within the FN and eco-justice spheres are just drooling at the thought of another Clayoquot protest "war in the woods". 

I really hope it doesn't happen, but with today's rhetoric it just feels like this whole pipeline topic is a tinderbox ready to explode. 

#104 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:46 AM

i guess this is how the NDP can cheer LNG knowing that their allies are going to shut down construction anyways.

#105 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:51 AM

I really get the sense that extremists within the FN and eco-justice spheres are just drooling at the thought of another Clayoquot protest "war in the woods". 

I really hope it doesn't happen, but with today's rhetoric it just feels like this whole pipeline topic is a tinderbox ready to explode. 

Not that it would be a surprise to anyone, but Helps is tweeting support for the blockade and a rally at the leg today in opposition to the Feds.

#Reconciliation is real and it means action pls RT and stand with the Wet’suwet’en on Jan 8 International Day of Action. In #yyj: http://ow.ly/ChLx30ne650  Around the world: http://ow.ly/fma430ne65m  #wetsuwetenstrong #notrespass #thetimeisnow #worldiswatching pls RT

Edited by spanky123, 08 January 2019 - 08:52 AM.

#106 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:02 AM

...Helps is tweeting support for the blockade and a rally at the leg today...

Someone's getting their federal election campaign started early...

• rjag likes this

#107 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:03 AM

Someone's getting their federal election campaign started early...

I think that has been obvious for quite a while now. 

• Nparker likes this

#108 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:28 AM

Not that it would be a surprise to anyone, but Helps is tweeting support for the blockade and a rally at the leg today in opposition to the Feds.

#Reconciliation is real and it means action pls RT and stand with the Wet’suwet’en on Jan 8 International Day of Action. In #yyj: http://ow.ly/ChLx30ne650  Around the world: http://ow.ly/fma430ne65m  #wetsuwetenstrong #notrespass #thetimeisnow #worldiswatching pls RT

It's not standing with the Wet'suwet'en. It's standing with one faction, one clan of the Wet'suwet'en, which is apparently made up of 5 clans and 13 different "houses". It's about standing with hereditary leaders who have questionable authority over the issue.   

This whole thing is absolutely absurd. We're talking about a tiny natural gas pipeline right of way and access to a bridge. The land is barely being touched. Natural gas cannot be spilled. The benefits to aboriginals to this project are massive (upwards of $1B, I've read). All the i's have been dotted and the t's crossed. 

Anyway, on and on we go. The Fernwood hippies running the City of Victoria haven't a clue what life is like in Northern BC for "settlers" or natives. Economic opportunities for many people up there are virtually nil. This project has gargantuan potential. There are no cushy government jobs with sweet pensions to apply for. 

• rjag, spanky123, tedward and 3 others like this

#109 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:45 AM

The Mayor's support is no surprise. It's far easier to send a grand statement about a situation over which she has zero control than to take real action over the things she does have control over. She could have taken strong action to support women sexually harassed by her police chief on her watch, for example, but was seemingly too busy mass deleting emails and covering her tracks. But she knows that her base has zero concept of what local government and is easily dazzled by grand, meaningless gestures.
  • Nparker, kjf, jonny and 1 other like this

#110 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:47 AM

https://www.fnlngalliance.com/

https://www.fnlngall...s-lng-pipeline/

By Laurie Hamelin
APTN News

A hereditary chief in British Columbia says people standing in the way of the LNG pipeline need to step aside and let the project get up and running.

“I’m just getting tired of hearing about it,” she says. “I’m just waiting for the shovel to get into the ground , let’s get on with our lives,” says Helen Michelle.

Michelle has been a hereditary chief for 43 years.

#111 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:58 AM

The rub being that Michelle is a hereditary chief of the Wet'suwet'en. 

• rjag likes this

#112 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:01 AM

The rub being that Michelle is a hereditary chief of the Wet'suwet'en. 

I wonder how many "chiefs" they have? According to Wikipedia, there are only just over 100 members who live on reserve in total.

#113 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:34 PM

I find it funny that these reconciliation activists, with all their talk of settlers, are the same people who are rabidly pro mass immigration.  At the end of the day their ideology really just boils down to 'White = bad' 

• Wayne and A Girl is No one like this

#114 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,471 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:43 PM

There’s a protest taking place in front of the Legislature that has blocked traffic on Belleville Street. I would assume it ties in with Helps’ twitter post?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#115 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:56 PM

There’s a protest taking place in front of the Legislature that has blocked traffic on Belleville Street. I would assume it ties in with Helps’ twitter post?

It has slowly been making its way up Fort Street to the delight of commuters. Anit-pipeline protest as part of today's global festivities.

#116 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,471 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:19 PM

Yikes. That must be quite a sight. Second back-to-work day and wham!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#117 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:25 PM

It has slowly been making its way up Fort Street to the delight of commuters...

If they wanted to make a real impact they'd use the bike lanes on Fort Street.

• A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#118 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:02 PM

Arent these the same people that want to abolish the Monarchy but are now screaming about hereditary titled chiefs and that they should have more power than elected ones?

Edited by rjag, 08 January 2019 - 03:02 PM.

• spanky123 and tedward like this

#119 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:35 PM

CFAX reporting that the protestors plan to camp out on the courthouse lawns for 24 hours. Given that we just spent millions cleaning up after the last group and camping is not permitted there, any bets whether VicPD enforces the law?

#120 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:40 PM

It has slowly been making its way up Fort Street to the delight of commuters. Anit-pipeline protest as part of today's global festivities.

Did they break out the sad looking inflatable orcas, sickle and hammer flags, anti police slogans and their worn out TM expansion signs? 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users