Photo

Google Home....Alexa...Echo....whatever......

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,643 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:35 AM

My wife unbeknownst to me me signed up some time ago for the $10 Spotify premium service - meaning full and ad-free access to the 35+ million some odd songs offered on their database - and we simply connected GH to her account during the setup phase so essentially we can play virtually any song for (almost) free.

#22 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 2,076 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:43 AM

I'm awaiting Apple Music to institute Alexa control in Canada, which they're (Apple) dragging their heels on currently. I already subscribe to Apple Musics family plan, and I love it (as does my freeloading child) .. so tying it in with an Alexa "skill" makes complete sense for me.

If I subscribed to Spotify, I'd drop the extra dough in a flash in order to have Alexa tied in with it.

Ten bucks a month (or $14.00 for a family plan) in exchange for a 45 million song playlist is about as good a deal as I've seen anywhere, on almost any consumer item!

I get the suggestion above about simply using a timer to turn lights on and off ... but that's really not what Alexa, Google Home, etc are all about. 

A timer controls one single thing, whereas these smart home systems literally control anything that has electricity flowing through it, and can literally control your entire house and beyond.

I won't even get into the difference a smart home device can make for senior citizens, handicapped folks, or anybody who otherwise may not be fully mobile.

#23 RFS

RFS
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:53 AM

I'm awaiting Apple Music to institute Alexa control in Canada, which they're (Apple) dragging their heels on currently. I already subscribe to Apple Musics family plan, and I love it (as does my freeloading child) .. so tying it in with an Alexa "skill" makes complete sense for me.

They would probably rather you buy a Homepod

https://www.apple.com/ca/homepod/

This is the only smart speaker I would buy.  Apple is far better than google or amazon when it comes to privacy.  Everything the Homepod hears is encrypted and not tied to your ID.  Apple stores the data but it is all anonymous, unlike google or amazon

#24 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,092 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:05 AM

But it doesn't really do anything though, does it?  Aside from Siri and playing Apple Music.  I understand that it's a bit of a bust and hella-expensive on top of it all.

• sebberry likes this

#25 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 2,076 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:19 AM

Homepod is a great device, but it's completely different from Alexa or Google Home.

Homepod lives only in the Apple universe, where as Alexa (for example) has 50,000 "skills" available to load into it's database.

Each of those skills allows Alexa to interact with any number of third party devices or pieces of software.

Homepod doesn't do anything outside the Apple universe, and currently only really listens to music and answers questions (and Siri is lagging behind Alexa in that regard as well).

If I was strictly listening to music ... I too would choose the Homepod simply because I'm an Apple fan-boy, and Homepod has the most advanced engineering contained within as it relates to straight up music playback.

#26 todd

todd
  • 5,767 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:00 PM

Hey Mike can you come by and turn on my lights?

#27 todd

todd
  • 5,767 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:08 PM

??

#28 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 17,994 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:39 PM

Hey Mike can you come by and turn on my lights?

Your tentacles aren't long enough that you can do it from the sofa?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#29 todd

todd
  • 5,767 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:01 PM

Your tentacles aren't long enough that you can do it from the sofa?

We don’t have a good night vision I can’t find the switch I’ve just been sitting underwater in the dark all day.

#30 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 17,994 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:22 PM

We don’t have a good night vision I can’t find the switch I’ve just been sitting in my underwear in the dark all day.

Fixed :D

• sdwright.vic likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,457 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:47 PM

Still in the dark? Just got the request.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#32 LJ

LJ
  • 8,686 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:26 PM

I get the suggestion above about simply using a timer to turn lights on and off ... but that's really not what Alexa, Google Home, etc are all about. 

A timer controls one single thing, whereas these smart home systems literally control anything that has electricity flowing through it, and can literally control your entire house and beyond.

I had, probably still have in a box somewhere, devices that you replaced plug in's and wall switches with, that "automated your home" just using the electrical cabling. I forget what they were called. Sparky probably knows. This had to be 30 years ago. Eventually I found turning a light switch on and off manually wasn't all that onerous a job. I have a programmable thermostats which work just fine. My outside lights are on a photo-cell and I don't feel the need for any other "assistance" at this time.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#33 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,238 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:38 PM

You are probably referring to X-10 technology. The signal to control the switching is transposed on the 120 volt circuit that powers the light or device.
  • LJ likes this

#34 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,643 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:20 PM

Just for fun I asked the unit this morning if it was spying on me; G-H chewed on that one for a millisecond before dutifully referring me to the Google URL outlining their corporate policies re: privacy and personal information. It didn't actually answer my query though, which I thought was interesting.........#conspiracytheorist#

#35 todd

todd
  • 5,767 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:35 PM

Just for fun I asked the unit this morning if it was spying on me; G-H chewed on that one for a millisecond before dutifully referring me to the Google URL outlining their corporate policies re: privacy and personal information. It didn't actually answer my query though, which I thought was interesting.........#conspiracytheorist#

Doesn't all the info just go to you anyway?

#36 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,643 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:50 PM

Doesn't all the info just go to you anyway?

Nope, all conversations are stored on Google's servers which reside in any one of a number of their cloud/data centers. Ditto for the Amazon and other similar devices.

#37 todd

todd
  • 5,767 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:00 PM

Nope, all conversations are stored on Google's servers which reside in any one of a number of their cloud/data centers. Ditto for the Amazon and other similar devices.

Can you tell me what michael was doing when he was supposed to be turning in my lights?

#38 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:47 PM

if it admitted to spying on you on your first ask it’d be a pretty lousy spy. bring it near some boiling water and ask it again.

#39 todd

todd
  • 5,767 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:15 PM

Oh I had ASE install cameras everywhere in my home I feel better knowing he’s watching.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users