Photo

Waterfront

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#81 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:10 AM

Victorians drive me batty. We can all see the existing retaining walls on the houses right next door, right? I'm not defending this new one, but I'm saying even if you hate this sort of thing you can't possibly be serious that it's something unprecedented. Nobody goes to Gonzales Beach to get away from waterfront houses and their retaining walls.

The main point here should be, do a decent job on this new wall and its terraces so that it fits the context. Methinks that's always the main point that people want to ignore during such controversies.

• Nparker likes this

#82 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:56 AM

I don't think the mayor saw the retaining walls. They can easily appear to be the rocks themselves, and he certainly wouldn't have referred to the new one(s) as a blight had he realized they are identical to those on neighbouring properties.

Mayor Screech has continued arguing the issue even though it was pointed out to him that nothing out of the ordinary was actually taking place.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#83 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:06 AM

Lets also not forget that the rocks are on private property and if someone slips and hurts themselves on the rocks then its on the homeowner liability as its 'implied consent to trespass'. 

So when little Billy falls and breaks his arm, Billy's parents will sue the owner for enabling a hazard and not blocking the hazard by identifying rights of way etc etc

Edited by rjag, 08 August 2019 - 09:07 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#84 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:14 AM

Looking at the View Royal coastline I've already spotted several properties with walls right at the high tide line. There are also boat houses along the shoreline, and a plethora of docks.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#85 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:16 AM

Looking at the View Royal coastline I've already spotted several properties with walls right at the high tide line. There are also boat houses along the shoreline, and a plethora of docks.

I imagine his quip about a 15 m setback is for buildings, not structures like retaining walls or stairways

• Matt R. and jasmineshinga like this

#86 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:18 AM

Mayor Screech: "In View Royal we have a 15 metre setback required from the high tide mark. This is a travesty."

Here is an example of two walls in View Royal.

view-royal-shoreline.jpg

• rjag likes this

Know it all.

#87 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:42 AM

I just realized the other house under construction closer to the main walkway down to the beach must have taken out a bunch of nice trees.

#88 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:43 AM

At Gonzales, I mean.

post-3177-0-03130800-1565150238.jpg

#89 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:45 AM

I imagine his quip about a 15 m setback is for buildings, not structures like retaining walls or stairways

Oh for sure, that makes sense. I don't think he realizes what's actually being built, and how common it is for homeowners to build these walls and why they build them.

Know it all.

#90 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:02 AM

Sad maybe even pathetic the lots weren’t turned into public park property billion years ago.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#91 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:07 AM

view Royal has a load of illegal docks.
  • rjag likes this

#92 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:27 AM

view Royal has a load of illegal docks.

Yup and I pointed that out to David and he said there havent been any new docks since incorporation...I doubt that all those dock are original 30+ year old structures that have never been replaced, upgraded etc.

#93 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:40 AM

in 2012 there were at least 40 illegal docks in view Royal google tells me.

#94 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:03 AM

I don't think he realizes what's actually being built, and how common it is for homeowners to build these walls and why they build them.

I don't think Screech realizes what comes out of his mouth needs to be informed by what on the books, not just in his head. Clearly he's never tried to access the beaches around VR, nearly every inch of mud/rocks is carefully hoarded by the property owners, with many MANY private docks, boathouses, and other encroachments upon that 15m rule he's parroting. Several are new since I moved here in 2016.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

~ Jasmine ~

#95 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:08 AM

Anyone can sail up and land on those beaches, right? None of them are private in VR?

Know it all.

#96 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:14 PM

Anyone can sail up and land on those beaches, right? None of them are private in VR?

yes.  i think that's more or less the rule in all of canada.  no private (ocean) waterfront.  maybe don't try to roll up to the shore at cfb esquimalt though.   :1954_dancing:

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 August 2019 - 01:15 PM.

#97 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:16 PM

Technically yes, practically no as the rocky bluffs are quite pronounced, private docks are the only access for much of the waterline. There are only three public access points to my knowledge on the south coastline, none are ideal for launching as there are trees, long paths, or large rocks in the way. View Royal sucks if you want to access the ocean side and not the Gorge side of things.

~ Jasmine ~

#98 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:17 PM

as long as you are below the high water mark 

• Mike K. likes this

#99 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:51 PM

Yes I believe some trees were taken out on Gonzales as I looked at some old photos.

In England there are some really lovely wrought-iron fences along seafronts. Why can't we have something like that? I hate those things on the breakwater, how ugly they are.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#100 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:54 PM

I'm confused. Several comments were made about losing tide pools but the construction is above the high tide line.

I always thought tide pools were pools of seawater left behind at low tide?

From what I saw of some children who were interviewed, they have lost access to tide pools that were a little farther along. I guess at high tide you used to be able to walk along the rocks, and now you can't. Probably most people didn't realize that outcropping actually belonged to someone. I used to take my daughter down there when she was young and we always walked over them. We thought it was part of the beach.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users