[Pedestrians] Pedestrian infrastructure in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 02 July 2019 - 09:35 PM

Ha ha, no.  You'd get more people crossing against the light just to mug for the camera.

Maybe some water jets installed in the road surface to give 'em a spritz like training any other animal.

• GaryRanson and Mattjvd like this

#42 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:16 AM

I like this idea to give pedestrians a heads up when they are crossing illegally....

https://www.youtube....h?v=PBfgpWFXYyo

You'll give some old person a heart attack and have a law suit on your hands

#43 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 03 July 2019 - 11:15 AM

Cheaper than another police officer...

#44 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 04:23 PM

A DIY pedestrian scramble crosswalk installed by a group of Saanich residents was short-lived as police were quick to have it removed.

The scramble crosswalk – that allows pedestrians to cross in any direction – was drawn in chalk by residents at the intersection of Inverness Road and Glasgow Avenue on Sunday, May 10.

https://www.vicnews....oved-by-police/

#45 johnk2

johnk2
  • 209 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 04:53 PM

I'd certainly appreciate it if more pedestrians would extend their arm or hand to indicate they want to cross instead of blindly lurching into the crosswalk. I don't see people doing this as much as I used to. Eye contact helps as well.. 

#46 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:52 PM

^ There is no requirement to do this. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#47 Kyjen

Kyjen
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 10:53 PM

I find when I'm standing at a crosswalk downtown, the vast majority of times vehicles stop and let me cross which I appreciate. However, I’ve seen multiple times people approach a pedestrian crosswalk and without braking stride continue on through the crosswalk or get hissy when a vehicle doesn’t stop for them so they can cross. This trend of vehicles stopping at crosswalks for people standing at the curb and pedestrians assumptions they have the right away at marked crosswalks before entering one. I feel has led to a new expectation between drivers and pedestrians, that vehicles must stop for people standing at a crosswalk and pedestrians now have the right away just because they are at a marked crosswalk. I’m surprised there isn’t more pedestrian/vehicle incidents.

Same goes for the expectation that the flashing red hand with countdown means its okay to still cross (which I’ve taken advantage of many times). Unless, I’m in a car trying to turn right and end up not being able to turn as pedestrians keep crossing and the light turns red again (then people should know they aren’t supposed to cross).

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 06:37 AM

I find when I'm standing at a crosswalk downtown, the vast majority of times vehicles stop and let me cross which I appreciate. However, I’ve seen multiple times people approach a pedestrian crosswalk and without braking stride continue on through the crosswalk or get hissy when a vehicle doesn’t stop for them so they can cross. This trend of vehicles stopping at crosswalks for people standing at the curb and pedestrians assumptions they have the right away at marked crosswalks before entering one. I feel has led to a new expectation between drivers and pedestrians, that vehicles must stop for people standing at a crosswalk and pedestrians now have the right away just because they are at a marked crosswalk. I’m surprised there isn’t more pedestrian/vehicle incidents.

Same goes for the expectation that the flashing red hand with countdown means its okay to still cross (which I’ve taken advantage of many times). Unless, I’m in a car trying to turn right and end up not being able to turn as pedestrians keep crossing and the light turns red again (then people should know they aren’t supposed to cross).

Those pedestrians who dart out like that are all striving for a Darwin Award. The rule remains as it always has: walk up to the crosswalk, intimate your desire to cross, wait for drivers to recognize you, and stop their vehicles.

What's missing today is fewer young people have a driver's license, and therefore zero concept of how vehicles operate, nor how rules of the road are intended to be followed. They literally believe they can dart into traffic and it is the obligation of a driver to immediately cease moving towards them regardless of the distances involved or the situation. We also see a lot of disregard for rules of the road by cyclists, again, because, unless they have a driver's license, the likelihood that they have been properly educated on the rules of the road is slim.

There is even contempt now to click what anti-car advocates call "beg buttons," which to you and I has always been an extra level of security to draw the attention of motorists through flashing lights above a crosswalk. To a reasonable person it's helpful technology to draw attention to a pedestrian who may not be well seen (it's dark, it's rainy, your wardrobe matches the backdrop, etc.), but to advocates it's an incursion, it's humiliation and a forced compliance that vehicles reign supreme on our public roadways (which makes sense that a 4,000 lb moving machine, compared to a 200 lb human being, would).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#49 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 06:55 AM

As a kid in the sixties I was taught, you can't win an argument with a vehicle, so don't walk out in front of one. It doesn't matter if the pedestrian thinks they're in the right, you ain't gonna win. I used to have to cross Cook St. every day. Usually I just preferred to wait until no vehicles were coming at all. In winter I always wore a couple of lights to be on the safe side.

Edited by mbjj, 13 May 2020 - 06:55 AM.

• Mike K. and johnk2 like this

#50 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 May 2020 - 11:16 AM

A DIY pedestrian scramble crosswalk installed by a group of Saanich residents was short-lived as police were quick to have it removed.

The scramble crosswalk – that allows pedestrians to cross in any direction – was drawn in chalk by residents at the intersection of Inverness Road and Glasgow Avenue on Sunday, May 10.

https://www.vicnews....oved-by-police/

Understand where Teale is coming from but may not agree with the process. That intersection really should have something for pedestrians as The Shire development is nearly finished and Rutledge park is on the other side of Inverness. I'm not sure how Saanich left that intersection untouched when allowing that development to go forward...

#51 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 May 2020 - 11:26 AM

The rule remains as it always has: walk up to the crosswalk, intimate your desire to cross, wait for drivers to recognize you, and stop their vehicles.

Not enough parents teach their kids that it doesn't matter if you have the right of way as a pedestrian, you still lose if you get run over.

I find the best way to show your desire to cross is to lift a foot as close to the edge of the curb as possible while attempting to make eye contact with drivers while waiting for them to stop. Some people are dicks and will drive through when they could've stopped but it's better to be mad at them than have them run you over.

• Mike K. likes this

#52 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 May 2020 - 08:44 PM

Look both ways and wait till there's no cars coming.

Don't get any simpler than that... :)

• SimonH likes this

#53 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 03:08 PM

Oh man, I have to say View Royal royally dropped the ball on the clearing of sidewalks. Major sidewalks along Old Island Highway on the Colwood Strip 18" deep, if not more, with snow. It was awful watching people trying to make their way to bus stops.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#54 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 03:08 PM

More importantly are the bike lanes snow-free?

#55 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 04:05 PM

Did you hear that fellow on CFAX this morning? Said he'd taken some photos of uncleared sidewalks in Victoria that were the city's responsibility and had posted them on the city's facebook page. The city then deleted them, so he posted, why did you delete my photos? Then they deleted that too. 

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#56 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 04:55 PM

Serves him right for saying stuff. People who say stuff shouldn't be allowed to participate on any of the big corporate platforms. If you want to nod in agreement that's fine, you're free to do that. But saying stuff just isn't going to be tolerated anymore.

• Nparker, sebberry and mbjj like this

#57 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 04:56 PM

...But saying stuff just isn't going to be tolerated anymore.

Not in these more enlightened, tolerant times in any case.

#58 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 07:39 PM

uncleared-sidewalk-in-View-Royal.jpg

Colwood had cleared its sidewalks up to its border. View Royal looked like this. Brutal.

Know it all.

#59 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 16 February 2021 - 08:03 PM

Colwood had cleared its sidewalks up to its border. View Royal looked like this. Brutal.

The irony that they promote active transportation but cant clear sidewalks at critical intersections

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#60 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 09:00 PM

It was gnarly like that for miles. Mayor Screech has some explaining to do.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users