Photo

[Pedestrians] Pedestrian infrastructure in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:52 PM

Anyway, back to pedestrians. I agree that most probably DO know the rules but many can't be bothered to follow them. It is maddening to see a light about to turn red and some bozo decides to start shuffling into the crossing, appearing completely oblivious.

Whereas vehicle drivers are known for their adherence to the rules of the road.

https://www.vicnews....gn-as-optional/

#22 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:25 PM

Whereas vehicle drivers are known for their adherence to the rules of the road.

https://www.vicnews....gn-as-optional/

To be clear, I think a lot of motorists are dreadful, too. And a bunch of cyclists. My broader issue is with humanity as a whole, but I'm trying to keep my digs on-topic. :)

#23 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:36 PM

I agree... I don't think anyone dismisses the fact that divers disregard many road rules... humanity sucks right now.
  • rmpeers likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#24 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:42 PM

... humanity sucks right now.

We've always sucked; we're just more aware of our suckage now.

• sdwright.vic and rmpeers like this

#25 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:02 PM

I'm gonna have to blame user "http" back in 2008...

I blame him for a lot of things. Not only is he a convenient scapegoat (short user name), but he's also a good sport about it. It's refreshing to see that.

#26 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:41 PM

I agree... I don't think anyone dismisses the fact that divers disregard many road rules... humanity sucks right now.

I don't know, they seem to make a nice clean entry usually, and typically only go when the zone is clear.

#27 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:56 PM

^I did say most... generally 80% of the time I get a driver to stop a a nid block croswalk.

People still suck overall though.
  • rmpeers likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#28 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:09 AM

Is someone on a mobility scooter a pedestrian?

Victoria flagger rammed twice by man on mobility scooter

https://www.vicnews....bility-scooter/

♪ You down with LCT?  Oh no, not he... 

#29 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 07:42 PM

Lane closure technician. Oh my.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#30 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 09 March 2019 - 12:24 PM

It's a level above your regular Traffic Control Person.

#31 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:28 AM

this guy picks apart a previous writers calculatuons but then throws in his own erroneous information.

https://www.timescol...cars-1.23658361

Blanshard Street is currently designed as an urban highway, creating a major barrier to pedestrian travel. The proposed crosswalk is about 200 metres from existing pedestrian crossings and so would save up to 400 metres, about seven minutes, per walking trip, a significant improvement.

it’s not 200 m from each intersection and the 400 m round trip also assumes the person originated from the furthest possible point(s).

#32 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:29 AM

seven minutes saving on a round trip to Wendy’s does also not seem too onerous.

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,176 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 09:23 AM

The distance from Bay to the new crosswalk location is not even 150 meters, and a 2 minute walk according to google. An average individual will walk that distance in approximately 1:30 seconds, if not faster.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#34 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 09:43 AM

Forgetting for a moment about the future bike lane that is proposed to go here, what reason do pedestrians need to cross Blanshard at Kings? What services/businesses can only be accessed here that the existing Hillside and Bay controlled intersections don't already accommodate?

b&k.JPG

Do the residents of Evergreen Terrace have an unusually high interest in visiting the CHEK TV studios? A potent need for a shortcut to the backside of the Times Colonist building? Perhaps Subway is their only source of nourishment?

• tedward likes this

#35 Teej48

Teej48
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 10:26 AM

Victoria Crosswalks are Hazards
Moved here two years ago and have had at least 6 close calls just missing pedestrians in crosswalks.
They are numerous, and inconsistantly marked.
Cars park immediatly beside them so many times peds are hidden until the last minute before they dart out.
Others loiter on sidewalk so dont know if going or not.
In Ottawa, you stand on curb and point in your intended direction of travel so drivers. have a warning of your intent. Works well.
Amazed there arnt more fatalities here.

#36 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:24 AM

I'm still of the opinion that there is already a perfectly legal unmarked crosswalk at this location per the motor vehicle code. And that was is really being discussed is not a "new" crosswalk, but the upgrading of an unmarked crosswalk to a marked crosswalk, which is designed to enhance safety and avoid accidents to the benefit of all the users of the road.

I think that when the issue is discussed in those terms, then the whole "let them walk 300 meters out of their way so I don't have to slow down" issue is a little harder to defend. What IMHO is really being said is, "let's mark the crosswalk so the incredible number of Victoria drivers who think only marked crosswalks are legal crosswalks don't accidentally kill some one in an at-fault accident."

Can anyone provide evidence that this site is somehow exempt from the MVA? Maybe there is an exemption due to the median, but I haven't been able to find it. 

"crosswalk" means

(a) a portion of the roadway at an intersection or elsewhere distinctly indicated for pedestrian crossing by signs or by lines or other markings on the surface, or

(b) the portion of a highway at an intersection that is included within the connection of the lateral lines of the sidewalks on the opposite sides of the highway, or within the extension of the lateral lines of the sidewalk on one side of the highway, measured from the curbs, or in the absence of curbs, from the edges of the roadway;

Otherwise I think people are arguing from a false premise.

#37 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 02:13 PM

Maybe if folks are that eager to get a Baconator, the extra few minutes of walking would be beneficial. Isn't that encouraging more exercise?

On the Isitt scale this idea doesn't even register on the Wacky-o-meter, but it doesn't seem like a big priority either.
  • Cats4Hire likes this

#38 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 10 March 2019 - 02:31 PM

Its based on some worn grass....what about the areas that dont have grass? ie Douglas with the only crosswalks between Bay and Mayfair located at Hillside, and Burnside....thats a bit of a walk across a similar sized road.

It plays to an audience and provides justification for the 40 or so bikes/peds that may use this route as a crossing....lot of money to spend for a few people that cant walk to the corner like they have to at other roads

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#39 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 03:54 PM

Its based on some worn grass...

Since this is all it takes to get a controlled pedestrian crossing, I think I'll have to do some creative foot dragging here:

b&c.JPG

Only a real chump would walk all the way to Caledonia or Fisgard.

Edited by Nparker, 10 March 2019 - 03:55 PM.

• rjag, pennymurphy2000 and Brantastic like this

#40 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 08:01 PM

I like this idea to give pedestrians a heads up when they are crossing illegally....

https://www.youtube....h?v=PBfgpWFXYyo

• GaryRanson and Daveyboy like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users