Photo

Should we be spraying Roundup in our forests?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:17 PM

Every year in B.C., 16,000 hectares of forests are sprayed with an herbicide known as glyphosate. It’s sprayed over forests that have recently been logged and replanted to kill broadleaf plant species that might inhibit the growth of lodgepole pine seedlings. The result is reduced plant diversity, leading to monocropped forests that are vulnerable to more frequent and destructive wildfires and beetle infestations.

The World Health Organization has warned that glyphosate is likely carcinogenic. It also has genotoxic, cytotoxic and endocrine-disrupting properties. For decades, researchers have been reporting reduced numbers of rodents, moose, insects and birds in forests that have been sprayed.

Is this another case of not seeing the forest for the trees?
  • todd likes this

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:58 PM

The land mass of British Columbia is 94.5 million hectares. I don't think spraying 160,000 hectares, or 0.017% of the province, or roughly the size of the Saanich Peninsula, creates much of an impact.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:07 PM

Probably should first get them to stop putting it on our food.
  • dasmo and GabriolaGirl like this

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:39 PM

The land mass of British Columbia is 94.5 million hectares. I don't think spraying 160,000 hectares, or 0.017% of the province, or roughly the size of the Saanich Peninsula, creates much of an impact.

Oh come now. Using that sort of logic, I supposed you'd have me believe that my household of one person not using plastic shopping bags isn't going to have a noticeable impact on the CLIMATE CRISIS.

#5 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:57 PM

Except for that 16000 hectares...
  • Brantastic likes this

#6 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:05 PM

It is frustrating to know that when I read the title of this thread I already knew what types of responses would follow given the nature of this forum, as any concern for the environment seems to be brushed aside as either a trivial matter or as alarmism. Of course spraying 16,000 hectares of forest with carcinogenic herbicides are a concern. Even if it was 1,000 hectares it would still be a disgusting practice. 

• vortoozo likes this

#7 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:30 AM

Roundup is used on food crops, so if it really is carcinogenic, it's a bigger issue than some of BC's forests. There is a lot of contention around whether it actually is though, particularly around the dosage level too. The EPA has determined it is NOT carcinogenic...

#8 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:57 AM

You keep spraying your veggie patch with Roundup. They say it even helps keep your weight in check! Meanwhile....

Glyphosate restrictions or bans throughout the world were introduced following the 2015 IARC report on glyphosate. The IARC report concluded that glyphosate is a “probable human carcinogen.”

According to the report, the cancers most associated with glyphosate exposure were found to be non-Hodgkin lymphoma and other hematopoietic cancers. The report further concluded that glyphosate exposure caused DNA and chromosomal damage in human cells, as well as genotoxic, hormonal and enzymatic effects in mammals.

Other glyphosate studies have linked the chemical to a number of health issues, including, but not limited to ADHD, Alzheimer’s Disease, Autism, Birth Defects, various forms of cancer, Celiac Disease, Colitis, Heart Disease, Inflammatory Bowel Syndrome, Kidney Disease, Liver Disease, and Parkinson’s Disease.

In Canada: Eight out of the 10 provinces in Canada have some form of restriction on the use of non-essential cosmetic pesticides, including glyphosate. Vancouver has banned public and private use of glyphosate, aside from the treatment of invasive weeds.

The following countries have issued outright bans on glyphosate, imposed restrictions or have issued statements of intention to ban or restrict glyphosate-based herbicides, including Roundup, over health concerns and the ongoing Roundup cancer litigation:

Argentina
Australia
Belgium
Bermuda
Brazil
Colombia
Czech Republic
Denmark
El Salvador
England
France
Germany
Greece
India
Italy
Luxembourg
Malta
Netherlands
New Zealand
Portugal
Scotland
Spain
Sri Lanka
Sweden

https://www.baumhedl...phosate-banned/

#9 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:09 AM

If You Accept Science, You Accept Roundup Does Not Cause Cancer

https://www.acsh.org...se-cancer-13490

The sciences does not appear to be settled, as they say. 

Something can be carcinogenic and also (probably? maybe?) not an issue if exposure is limited. Such as:

X Ray Radiation

Alcohol

Processed Meat

Wood Dust

Wood Smoke

Diesel Fuel

The Freaking Sun

• lanforod likes this

#10 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:16 AM

^ This is the problem these days. Science has become a religion. The nature of science is to question and discover the truth. It is never done. Now you either believe or you are an outcast. The science was done on cigarettes. A lot of people were outcast in bringing those truths out. Hell the science was done on the earth being flat. People were not very popular for going against that one either. Don't worry they can most likely still sell Roundup for those that like to spray their veggie patch. We still sell cigarettes. Hell a lot of people even still believe the earth is flat! 

#11 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:17 AM

Like I said, dosage is a big question mark.

We need water to live. Too much water will kill ya though.

#12 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:21 AM

^ This is the problem these days. Science has become a religion. The nature of science is to question and discover the truth. It is never done. Now you either believe or you are an outcast. The science was done on cigarettes. A lot of people were outcast in bringing those truths out. Hell the science was done on the earth being flat. People were not very popular for going against that one either. Don't worry they can most likely still sell Roundup for those that like to spray their veggie patch. We still sell cigarettes. Hell a lot of people even still believe the earth is flat! 

Roundup works. No question about it. It probably helps increase the world's food supply. There are a lot of factors to argue for using something too. 

Personally, I'll avoid using it; there are other herbicide options (they are less effective - https://content.ces....l-in-landscapes) .

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:46 AM

How about this: more people are likely to die from health-related issues stemming from cannabis inhalation than they are from Roundup.

True/False/Undecided?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 March 2019 - 11:15 AM

Maybe we can stop using it in a chunk of our forest; I find it hard to argue for using something that benefits our forestry industry somewhat but would probably be fine if they switched to something else that keeps broadleafs down.

There are a lot of places roundup is used. It might be banned in a lot of countries, but it isn't in the US and it isn't in BC.

Do you have landscaping? If not used directly in your own landscaping (probably not anymore) it was very likely used wherever the shrubs and trees got their start at propagation companies. It's also commonly used on corn and soybean crops engineered to withstand it.

I've used Roundup a lot and I've used many of its alternatives. The alternatives suck, they just don't work nearly as well, resulting it a lot of extra time and money to spray again or hand weed etc. One I've used as an alternative is MCPA, which is likely more toxic, but excellent for keeping broadleafs down (doesn't kill grass).

#15 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 11:16 AM

How about this: more people are likely to die from health-related issues stemming from cannabis inhalation than they are from Roundup.

True/False/Undecided?

Smoking anything is bad for you. Most people don't die from it though. Like my Dad. He died from pneumonia. After chain smoking until his 50's, getting emphysema, then having a lung transplant and then having no immune system due to the anti rejection medicine taken so he could live another five years, he then succumbed to pneumonia.  So smoking didn't kill him.

But I digress. The short comment would be it's a choice to smoke weed. It's not really a choice to ingest Glyphosate. 

#16 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 12:37 PM

I have landscaping. I don’t use Roundup or any other chemicals. Right now I have some lawn but no need to have it be totally void of anything but one type of grass. The rest is all native and will be a “wild” landscape.

I have used Roundup in my younger days to try to get rid of weeds poking up through my driveway. It killed them but they only came back stronger the next year so that was the last time I used it....

#17 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 01:53 PM

I’m cool with the selective injection application method of glyphosate for invasive plant species only. I’m willing to pay more to not have my food anywhere near glyphosate, but the whole feed the masses argument... Also the name is really cool.

#18 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 02:20 PM

True/False/Undecided?

**** disturber. Did they use roundup on or near the cannabis? Can you show me any actuall death proven to be caused by a marijuana?

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 04:03 PM

Can you show me an actual human death caused by Roundup?
  • todd likes this

Know it all.

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 04:06 PM

Smoking anything is bad for you. Most people don't die from it though. Like my Dad. He died from pneumonia. After chain smoking until his 50's, getting emphysema, then having a lung transplant and then having no immune system due to the anti rejection medicine taken so he could live another five years, he then succumbed to pneumonia. So smoking didn't kill him.

But I digress. The short comment would be it's a choice to smoke weed. It's not really a choice to ingest Glyphosate.

I’m sorry to hear about your dad, and I mean that. He was quite young.
  • todd likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users