• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 1,564 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 03 March 2019 - 03:34 PM

Tofino's-geodesic-'glamping'-domes-offer-unique-lodging-at-Island's-surfing-hot-spot.jpg

Six geodesic domes have been constructed on Tofino's waterfront and introduce 'glamping,' or glamour camping, to the town's commercial centre. 

Tofino's geodesic 'glamping' domes offer unique lodging at Island's surfing hot-spot

https://victoria.cit...rfing-hot-spot/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 4,575 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 04:05 AM

a couple things.

i'm not sure if you could design these any uglier. i presume the drab green idea is to "blend into nature" but come on add some colour somewhere. 

• We do have WiFi but it is limited at this time

limited to what?  they need to address that.  people will make do with no tvs in them but people will want to watch netflix late at night.

and i'm not sure about banning kids. kids are not monsters.  why not just charge an extra $100 per person kids included?  ever heard of a hotel or campsite that bans kids?  you think a singe dad and his 11-year-old son is going to damage or disturb the place?  i think this is unnecessarily discriminatory and not well thought out.  this family operation is being run too conservatively.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 March 2019 - 04:07 AM.

#3 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,277 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 March 2019 - 06:40 AM

this family operation is being run too conservatively.

Policies
Pets not allowed, Smoking not allowed, Unsuitable for elderly or infirm, No Children or infants, Maximum two guests per pod, $250 damage deposit, $250 fine for smoking, Strict noise curfew 10pm to 8am,Credit cards accepted, Accessible 24/7

And yes, this is in all-caps on the website:

SORRY, NO CHILDREN OR PETS ALLOWED.
ALL UNITS ARE NON-SMOKING, SMOKING AND OPEN FLAMES OF ANY KIND INCLUDING BARBEQUES ARE NOT PERMITTED ANYWHERE ON THE PREMISES.
STRICT NOISE CURFEW 10PM TO 8AM.
GROUPS, PLEASE CONTACT US BEFORE BOOKING.
MINIMUM 2 NIGHT STAY (If you would like to book a one night stay please contact us directly and we will do our best to accommodate you)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4 dasmo

dasmo
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 07:37 AM

and i'm not sure about banning kids. kids are not monsters.

You obviously don’t have kids....
  • Mike K., Daveyboy and jasmineshinga like this

#5 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 4,575 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 07:39 AM

kids are not hotel room destroying monsters then.

as I suggested just charge $100 a night. that’ll radically discourage kids.

#6 dasmo

dasmo
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 07:46 AM

If you want to attract those that don’t want kids around then better to make it explicit. It doesn’t look like an awesome place for kids anyway.

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,372 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 07:48 AM

I think it’s more about preserving the ambiance than anything else. Kids make noise, as do dogs. There’s no escaping it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 160 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 07:49 AM

Personally I am more likely to book a place with a "no kids" policy, my holidays are far more relaxing that way. You want a kid-friendly place, go seek out the other 98%* of holiday spots.

*approximate

• Victoria Watcher likes this

~ Jasmine ~

#9 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,835 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 08:10 AM

"MMMOMMMMM, I'M BORED"

"Kayden, shush! 

"THIS WIFI SUCKS BAG"

"Kayden! ENOUGH!"

• Mike K. and Matt R. like this

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#10 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 08:13 AM

Tofino hasn’t had high speed Internet all that long anyways, it’s possible they just don’t have good connectivity at that location.

You don’t have to venture very far out of the city to enjoy the wonders of crappy internet connections.

Matt.

#11 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 840 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 02:03 PM

a couple things.

i'm not sure if you could design these any uglier. i presume the drab green idea is to "blend into nature" but come on add some colour somewhere.

• We do have WiFi but it is limited at this time

limited to what? they need to address that. people will make do with no tvs in them but people will want to watch netflix late at night.

and i'm not sure about banning kids. kids are not monsters. why not just charge an extra $100 per person kids included? ever heard of a hotel or campsite that bans kids? you think a singe dad and his 11-year-old son is going to damage or disturb the place? i think this is unnecessarily discriminatory and not well thought out. this family operation is being run too conservatively.

Just a guess (I didn't see it anywhere on the website though), but perhaps they have a common area with a liquor primary license or have drinks available in the rooms? Might make it difficult to have minors on the premises.

#12 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 2,342 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 March 2019 - 02:34 PM

I don't think banning kids is motivated by fear of damage. A lot of places that market themselves as a romantic getaway don't allow kids. I know of a couple like that on the Sunshine Coast, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are already some in Tofino and Ukee.

#13 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,287 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 04 March 2019 - 03:42 PM

"THIS WIFI SUCKS BAG"

Well he's not wrong...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users