UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Tresah West
Use: condo
Address: 611 Speed Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 12
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, penthouse, townhome, junior 1BR)
Sales status: pre-sales
Tresah West is a 12-storey, 179-suite condominium project situated between the 600-blocks of Speed and Frances... (view full profile)
Learn more about Tresah West on Citified.ca      Official website: tresah.ca
Photo

[Burnside-Gorge] Tresah | Condos; retail | 12 & 6-storeys

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#61 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:10 PM

BC just announced building code changes to permit 12 storey wood buildings province wide:

And the CoV's flat-top skyline just got a little flatter.

#62 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 05:45 PM

I'm really stuck on the parking for Speed/Francis though.

Please do not think that we are unsympathetic to your concerns. The challenge for us is on one hand, we have an affordability crisis we are grappling with, on the other, the community often asks for more and more parking and the two are not compatible. Car ownership rates are on the decline and many studies show vehicle miles travelled are declining overall as well. Transportation investment is increasing at all levels of government and a recent Metro Vancouver parking report has shown that there is a 42% oversupply in parking for apartments and stratas.

This building (and parking) will be here for 60+ years and automobile usage is changing. So we are literally in a position whereby if we increase the amount of parking, it has a direct correlating reduction in homes.

So...should we be building homes for cars or people?

#63 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,854 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 05:57 PM

well the current situation robb describes is not to good.

robb do you mean just you did not take up modo and bus passes or the whole building was not very interested?

#64 Robb

Robb
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:42 PM

well the current situation robb describes is not to good.

robb do you mean just you did not take up modo and bus passes or the whole building was not very interested?

The developer funded 60 years of bus passes (2 year passes each for 30 units) and I was able to have a pass for 4 years, so 15 people took advantage.

The developer also bought a Civic, designated a parking spot, and paid the membership share for each unit in VCSC (now Modo). My understanding is that not one resident made use of the car. Mind you, this was 2007-2010 or so and car share wasn't as well known. They moved the car to a busier location.
  • sebberry likes this

#65 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:05 PM

Autonomous cars are probably still 20+ years out, but I do agree in that 30-60 years there will be an oversupply of parking as you'll simply call one of thousands of autonomous cars rolling down Douglas Street.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#66 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,854 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:19 AM

in 30 to 60 years you’ll also have much less reason to even want to travel douglas. it’ll be a very different world in how we travel how we shop how we recreate socialize work and dine. very different.

#67 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:45 AM

In 30 years a parking spot in town will be worth $500k....
  • jonny likes this

#68 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:28 AM

in 30 to 60 years you’ll also have much less reason to even want to travel douglas. it’ll be a very different world in how we travel how we shop how we recreate socialize work and dine. very different.

30 years ago we travelled, socialized, worked and dined the same way we do today.

There might be slight deviations (like SkipTheDishes vs. a restaurant's own delivery guy) but the changes will be relatively minor. The world changed between 1880 and 1950. We've trickled along since then, mostly.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#69 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:48 AM

30 years ago we travelled, socialized, worked and dined the same way we do today.

There might be slight deviations (like SkipTheDishes vs. a restaurant's own delivery guy) but the changes will be relatively minor. The world changed between 1880 and 1950. We've trickled along since then, mostly.

In 2007 with the introduction of the iPhone, life hasn't changed at all eh?  :)

#70 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:52 AM

How we do things has changed with new technology, but much of what we do as social animals remains the same.

Edit: and I apologize for keeping this thread off-topic  :redface:

Edited by Nparker, 14 March 2019 - 08:53 AM.

#71 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:58 AM

Society is also moving back to a simpler time, in some ways.

People are seeking out older vehicles because they can understand the mechanics, fix what needs fixing, etc. People are also embracing off-grid lifestyles at a rate I don't think we could have imagined 20 years ago when off-grid meant you were literally strange. Now there's a whole industry catering to self-reliance.

Folks are learning to knit! There are courses on how to build your own stuff. Fix your own stuff. Recycle old stuff. I mean the modern era has brought a lot of changes, but they've been variations on things we were already doing (like reading the news on your phone; 20 years ago you read the news on a piece of paper).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#72 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:13 AM

Society is also moving back to a simpler time, in some ways.

People are seeking out older vehicles because they can understand the mechanics, fix what needs fixing, etc. People are also embracing off-grid lifestyles at a rate I don't think we could have imagined 20 years ago when off-grid meant you were literally strange. Now there's a whole industry catering to self-reliance.

Folks are learning to knit! There are courses on how to build your own stuff. Fix your own stuff. Recycle old stuff. I mean the modern era has brought a lot of changes, but they've been variations on things we were already doing (like reading the news on your phone; 20 years ago you read the news on a piece of paper).

All the millennials we hire can't drive standard so I don't agree hahaahahha 

#73 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:17 AM

Lol, fair enough.

Nature always finds a way to reset the species (I kid I kid!).

Know it all.

#74 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:34 AM

...Nature always finds a way to reset the species (I kid I kid!).

Nature is overdue.

#75 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:44 AM

must be younger millennials. Gen Z i'd understand; but most millennials I know, particularly the men; myself included, can drive stick just fine.

#76 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:53 AM

Ha ha....I had the same experience lately :) 

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#77 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:16 AM

^ They probably can't drive a horse & buggy for crap either.

• Mike K. likes this

#78 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:54 PM

Horse and buggy, pfft. Get a mule, it's got some proper kick :)

• Mike K. likes this

~ Jasmine ~

#79 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:25 PM

People tell me that but I just won't budge.

• jasmineshinga likes this

#80 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:48 PM

All the millennials we hire can't drive standard

That's such a tragedy.  But hey, at least it makes my car harder to steal!

• Mike K. likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users