UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Tresah West
Use: condo
Address: 611 Speed Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 12
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, penthouse, townhome, junior 1BR)
Sales status: pre-sales
Tresah West is a 12-storey, 179-suite condominium project situated between the 600-blocks of Speed and Frances... (view full profile)
Learn more about Tresah West on Citified.ca      Official website: tresah.ca
Photo

[Burnside-Gorge] Tresah | Condos; retail | 12 & 6-storeys

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#81 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:19 PM

/\......that all may be true but right now I'd give my right *** for a millennial audiophile: I'm two weeks in with our new so-called smart Samsung flat screen and I still can't figure out how to get it to display true HD on the channels that broadcast in that medium. No surprise since "in MY day" you plugged the new TV into the wall socket and ran a (single) cable to the back of the unit. Presto: you then had "TV". Now you need a Princeton physics major to figure them out.....

-> And no nothing regarding this post has anything remotely to do with the Speed Avenue proposal. NParker feel free to give this the royal "OFF TOPIC" stamp......

• Nparker likes this

#82 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:15 PM

Did you pay for the HD package?
  • AllseeingEye likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#83 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:16 PM

...-> And no nothing regarding this post has anything remotely to do with the Speed Avenue proposal. NParker feel free to give this the royal "OFF TOPIC" stamp......

By your command.

off-topic.jpg

#84 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:07 AM

I think I like it. At least, I don't find it offensive and I think it's interesting. 

About the only aspects I really don't like is that it's a widescraper and it's too monotonous. I'd love if something was done to break up the look and feel of the tower portion. 

But, the widescraper aspect is mitigated by:

- Ground floor looks decent from the few renderings we have seen

- Colours are decent

- The roof has a bit of pizzazz

- It doesn't look cheap, unlike say VT which is the GMC Tracker of apartment buildings (i.e. an ugly, piece of junk)

#85 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:15 AM

...About the only aspects I really don't like is that it's a widescraper and it's too monotonous. I'd love if something was done to break up the look and feel of the tower portion...

Agreed. Would it be exceptionally cost prohibitive to somehow offset the tower portion and visually reduce its width? I can't help but feel there has to be a way to maximize the density of the site that results in something other than a widescraper.

#86 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:30 AM

Yello on Yates does a good job of being a widescraper without being imposing. That little 2 or 3 floor height variation it has between the Yates and View sides combined with that slight east/west offset make a big difference. 

• newbie_01 and Casual Kev like this

#87 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:40 AM

I think I like it. At least, I don't find it offensive and I think it's interesting. 

About the only aspects I really don't like is that it's a widescraper and it's too monotonous. I'd love if something was done to break up the look and feel of the tower portion. 

But, the widescraper aspect is mitigated by:

- Ground floor looks decent from the few renderings we have seen

- Colours are decent

- The roof has a bit of pizzazz

- It doesn't look cheap, unlike say VT which is the GMC Tracker of apartment buildings (i.e. an ugly, piece of junk)

geo_tracker-pic-36235-200x200.jpeg

#88 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:42 AM

^ Yuck!

#89 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:48 AM

Yello on Yates does a good job of being a widescraper without being imposing. That little 2 or 3 floor height variation it has between the Yates and View sides combined with that slight east/west offset make a big difference. 

It helped at Yello for sure, especially considering the limitations of a relatively narrow site. Since the Speed/Frances project has a larger lot to work with, I think with some creative manoeuvring, a less hulking structure can be achieved.

#90 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:50 PM

It's called there 7th storey reveal

#91 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:58 PM

It's called there 7th storey reveal

While that acts as a minor break in the facade, it doesn't do anything to detract from the width of the tower. If anything, it emphasizes the horizontal. I'd love to see a design element that attempted to draw one's eye up-and-down rather than side-to-side.

#92 Robb

Robb
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:58 PM

Is it common to add huge fake trees to renderings?

Is this an attempt to make the building look smaller than it is?

Attached Images

• pretend trees.jpg

• Sparky, vortoozo and Brantastic like this

#93 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:26 PM

The application is in and the drawing package is live on the Dev Tracker: https://tender.victo...Number=DPV00115

• Robb likes this

#94 Robb

Robb
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for the link Jackerbie.

hmm... I don't like the round windows on the west facade.

Attached Images

• View from Burnside_Finlayson.jpg

#95 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 707 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:02 PM

Im just happy that they are building tall in this neighborhood.
  • Mike K. and newbie_01 like this

#96 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:28 PM

... I don't like the round windows on the west facade.

It's the one element that makes any effort to draw the eye up-and-down. It's vital.

I'm just happy that they are building tall in this neighborhood.

They're also building wide. V-E-R-Y W-I-D-E.

#97 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 05:20 PM

I'm not so fond of this one. Wide, chunky, cluttered, colourless. And yeah, looks like a cheese grater as someone said before. I'm very happy to see higher density along the corridor but the more I look at it the less I like it.

#98 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:47 AM

It should look more interesting when surrounded by other taller buildings, but I do agree with the "cheese grater" observation. Hopefully a step forward for more densification.

#99 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:50 AM

i like those round windows.
  • Nparker likes this

#100 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 20 March 2019 - 01:01 PM

No building is more of a cheese grater than the Marriott Chateau Champlain in Montreal, not even London's Leadenhall "Cheese Grater" Building.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users