Saanich Velodrome Proposal

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 02:55 PM

this thing has really come out of nowhere.

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 02:56 PM

https://www.peninsul...-of-96-million/

#3 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 02:58 PM

According to the report, the business case is “predicated on a core public space and amenities that will be subsidized by the public on a per capita basis.” This said, the report promises that “symbiotic partnerships” with private business and other governmental agencies that require infrastructure and amenities would mitigate build and maintenance costs.

i bet

#4 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 03:03 PM

it seems to me a group wanted a tiny bit of saanich park for some clay tennis courts - that they were going to pay 100% for.

they got run out of town. all the way to bear mountain.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 March 2019 - 03:03 PM.

#5 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:58 PM

The report presents three options, ranging from $76.2 million to $96.8 million for the preferred option. But these numbers appear fluid.

Is this about Crystal Pool or an indoor bike path?

#6 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 07:44 AM

there was another project in the same area with a 15-story building, I guess that isn't happening then?

#7 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:15 AM

Presentations like this is a total waste of everybody's time ... a complete pipe dream.

Substitute "Archery", "Horseshoes", "Model Airplanes" or any other relatively unpopular "sport"  for "Velodrome" and you'll get a pretty good idea of the chances this will ever even get off the ground such that it can be even be taken somewhat seriously.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#8 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:17 AM

Presentations like this is a total waste of everybody's time ... a complete pipe dream...

But it did give us a neat rendering.

#9 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:24 AM

Presentations like this is a total waste of everybody's time ... a complete pipe dream.

Substitute "Archery", "Horseshoes", "Model Airplanes" or any other relatively unpopular "sport"  for "Velodrome" and you'll get a pretty good idea of the chances this will ever even get off the ground such that it can be even be taken somewhat seriously.

it really does seem crazy with no significant backers already in place.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 March 2019 - 08:24 AM.

#10 m3m

m3m
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 07:28 AM

Cycling is hardly a "relatively unpopular" sport in Victoria. 

#11 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 07:31 AM

I agree with Cassidy here. Cycling is popular but how many of those cyclists use a velodrome? I would think that 99% of casual cyclists would prefer a scenic ride through our city then riding circles. 

Edit: Just read that the proponent wants to build affordable housing as part of the project. That makes sense, the residents can guard the bikes.

Edited by spanky123, 29 March 2019 - 07:33 AM.

#12 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 07:36 AM

If cycling is that popular it shouldn't be difficult for local proponents to raise the desired $120 million privately.

...David Attwell, who sits on the association’s board and is championing the idea, said the project is in the early stages — there’s no funding in place, no development partner and no site picked...He acknowledges that velodromes do not pay for themselves. “A standalone velodrome doesn’t make economic sense almost anywhere in the world...

https://www.timescol...plex-1.23774271

Once my tax dollars get involved I expect to have a say in the matter.

#13 m3m

m3m
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 07:46 AM

In any case, the velodrome would almost certainly be part of a multi-sport recreation centre like this one from near Toronto with various other sport courts in the centre.  Why not work one into the new Crystal Pool or YMCA projects?

20150327_114240-e1429122005349.jpg

• thundergun likes this

#14 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 29 March 2019 - 07:47 AM

Once my tax dollars get involved I expect to have a say in the matter.

You do have a say - your say is the vote you cast for the person to represent your interests in the government that collects and disburses the tax monies.

You were expecting something else?

Regardless of your persistent desire for more direct fiscal decision-making involvement, what's wrong with The Westshore Velodrome?

EDIT: Oh, this is to replace the Westshore one.

Edited by DustMagnet, 29 March 2019 - 07:53 AM.

#15 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 29 March 2019 - 07:51 AM

I cannot wait for Saanich to come cap-in-hand to Victoria, asking for funding because of the "regional significance" of this project.  Except that the cycling zealots who have infected council will probably mean that we write them a bloody blank cheque.

Edited by Bob Fugger, 29 March 2019 - 07:52 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#16 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 07:57 AM

In any case, the velodrome would almost certainly be part of a multi-sport recreation centre like this one from near Toronto with various other sport courts in the centre.  Why not work one into the new Crystal Pool or YMCA projects?

Crystal Pool and the Y projects are going anywhere?!

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#17 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 08:01 AM

...Regardless of your persistent desire for more direct fiscal decision-making involvement...

I thought we had both a housing and climate crisis. Is there really money for velodromes?

#18 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 March 2019 - 09:29 AM

"Cycling" has absolutely nothing to do with users of a velodrome.

That's like saying everybody who drives a car is automatically a rabid NASCAR fan!

• Nparker likes this

#19 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 11:13 AM

"Cycling" has absolutely nothing to do with users of a velodrome.

That's like saying everybody who drives a car is automatically a rabid NASCAR fan!

Yup.  I have basically no interest in this project.  There is absolutely nothing in common, riding a bike for transportation vs engaging in a freak 2-wheeled speed competition on a topographical configuration that does not naturally occur.

#20 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 11:15 AM

I'm not against the project, but if they do go ahead I expect them to cover their own insurance and licensing instead of freeloading on the majority of us that will never use this infrastructure.

:D

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users