APPROVED
1314-1318 Wharf Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1314-1318 Wharf Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
1314-1318 Wharf Street is a proposal for a six-storey mixed-use rental complex with ground floor retail space ... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1314-1318 Wharf Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] 1314-1318 Wharf Street / Northern Junk | Rentals; retail | 6-storeys

• Please log in to reply
652 replies to this topic

#321 jstovell

jstovell
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 03:09 PM

https://www.dropbox....8Gcp01DGREZaHSe

https://www.dropbox....kNuxKX1UIijmOgT

#322 jstovell

jstovell
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 03:21 PM

There is still time to write letter of support to Mayor and Council:

mayorandcouncil@victoria.ca and publichearings@victoria.ca

• tiger11 likes this

#323 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 04:58 PM

Has anything changed with the proposal or is it just going back again as is?

A rendering comparison from the above pdf of what I assume to be the previous incarnation and the one before Council.

Norther Junk crop.jpg

#324 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 05:52 PM

Removing some of the glass from that one section appears to make it much less vibrant, if the rendering above is accurate.  <_<

#325 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 12 September 2020 - 08:29 PM

Actually.. I've never been a fan of the previous bakers dozen, but I think this hits the mark! Big improvement on the waterfront side and it now has the look of a landmark building and not just another condo project. Going by 'would I take lots of pics of this building' evaluation scale.. hell yes!
  • aastra likes this

#326 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 07:11 AM

I have a feeling this might be the one that finally gets through council (knock on wood). They seem to have addressed most of the concerns that were raised by council and it only takes one council member to switch their vote to put it forward. 

• zoomer likes this

#327 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:35 AM

It certainly would be a nice gesture for downtown and it’s businesses to clean up that section.
  • zoomer likes this

#328 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 09:47 AM

I hope so too but I do worry that councillors won't really remember why they might have objected and review the design like they had never seen it before. They will always find some reason to reject it and don't really care.

#329 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 12:26 PM

Looks great. I'm really impressed that you guys keep proposing such high-quality stuff in the face of so much resistance and so many artificial constraints.

• lanforod, Brantastic and berzele like this

#330 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 03:42 PM

I guess the city has some AMAZING plans for the land around this developmen that they refused to sell.

#331 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 04:42 PM

Personally I prefer this proposal to anything we've seen previously for the site. All the proposals that included JSB land that I've seen looked too chunky/wide, especially from the waterfront (and yes, I've seen that one that everyone here is obsessed with). We don't need VR Hotel 2.0.

• zoomer and JanionGuy like this

#332 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 04:50 PM

We don't need VR Hotel 2.0.

agreed. and i happen to like that area.

Edited by JanionGuy, 13 September 2020 - 04:51 PM.

#333 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 04:55 PM

Such wasted potential now with pretty much useless "open space" surrounding this project. The last thing this area needs is another people space.

#334 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 14 September 2020 - 09:21 AM

Will council add another year to this redevelopment effort? It's hard to believe how long this project has been on the drawing boards. At this point, council throwing another wrench into the plans would come as hardly a surprised.

Decade-long-pursuit-of-approvals-yields-another-revision-for-Northern-Junk-rental-proposal.jpg

Decade-long pursuit of approvals yields another revision for Northern Junk rental proposal

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#335 berzele

berzele
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 11:57 AM

Adding that bit of brick to the Wharf St entry looks good in the renderings. 

I think this is aesthetically good from the water side too, with the natural shoreline and the second heritage building more visible than in prior proposal and the right side building having balconies looks more graceful.  Unfortunately it seems like exposing more shoreline reduced the patio space, so now there is only room for a walkway/overlook area without good patio-dining space, and that will likely make it less successful commercially. 

I'm also bummed that 1. The walkway  ends at the North edge of the building, rather than connecting to the path that goes under the Johnson St Bridge - is that because it's city land? It still seems like there should be the option to connect the walkways in the future?   2. It looks like that silly little parking lot to the North East is still there - is that city-owned as well?

'

#336 berzele

berzele
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 12:15 PM

Reading the attachments to the council agenda, I predict another round of Kafka-esque negotiations with respect to the Pad Mounted Transformer (big electrical box).  BC Hydro says it needs to be accessible from public ROW. Heritage advocates say it can't be in front of any old walls. Staff says it can't be in Bridgehead Green (the park like space on Wharf) because it will mess with tree roots and the naturalistic ambiance.  I'm trying to imagine exactly where it could go that meets all thee requirements?

If I were Reliance I'd be wondering if I could donate the site and take a huge tax writeoff.

• aastra likes this

#337 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 02:24 PM

Welcome to VV, berzele, great entry, too.

I am a bit puzzled by the sudden stop of the walkway myself.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#338 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 03:18 PM

I am a bit puzzled by the sudden stop of the walkway myself.

Why should the developer build a connecting walkway on city owned land?

Edited by Nparker, 14 September 2020 - 03:20 PM.

#339 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 04:15 PM

It's more about the City not getting on board to connect the pathway while Reliance is putting in their's, and the cost savings that would create.

They've only had, oh, I dunno, 13 years to get that little part sorted since the inception of the pathway idea, and 10 years since the inception of Reliance's proposal.

Know it all.

#340 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 04:25 PM

...[The city] only had, oh, I dunno, 13 years to get that little part sorted since the inception of the pathway idea, and 10 years since the inception of Reliance's proposal.

True, but for the past 10 years they were hoping Reliance would pay for the city's portion of the walkway even as the CoV nixed proposal after proposal. I imagine they still expect the developer to cover this cost.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users