APPROVED
1314-1318 Wharf Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1314-1318 Wharf Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
1314-1318 Wharf Street is a proposal for a six-storey mixed-use rental complex with ground floor retail space ... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1314-1318 Wharf Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] 1314-1318 Wharf Street / Northern Junk | Rentals; retail | 6-storeys

• Please log in to reply
652 replies to this topic

#441 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 18 July 2021 - 04:27 PM

Does anyone know if this is a more traditional or virtual public hearing?

#442 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 July 2021 - 08:23 PM

Does anyone know if this is a more traditional or virtual public hearing?

Still virtual. Projects and participation details are available online: https://www.victoria...ic-notices.html
  • Rob Randall likes this

#443 jstovell

jstovell
  • 119 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:36 AM

**** WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT ****

Hi VV community.

I am sure you must all so sick of this project by now but this Thursday's Public Hearing really is the last chance.

There are plenty od people seemingly supporting the 43 year of vacancy continuing on and on with no alternative to suggest.

If you can help now is the time to write to Council or even better (the best) call in to the Public Hearing on Thursday night.

Information on the project and how to engage with Council can be found here:

www.northernjunkvictoria.ca

Write to Council:

Email a Letter
  • Send a letter to publichearings@victoria.ca with reference to "Northern Junk 1314-1318 Wharf Street".
  • Include the name of the project, your name, address (optional), affiliation (e.g. community group, business owner), position of support, and why you feel this project should go through (the value it brings).
  • Letter submissions will be accepted up until 2:00 PM on July 29th, the day of the Council meeting when the Public Hearing takes place.

#444 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:51 AM

Done!

• Nparker likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#445 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:06 AM

Post this also in the r/Victoria subreddit, I think there would be many people there who would support this.
  • freedom_2008 likes this

#446 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,848 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 06:27 AM

After 11 years and about $1 million, a Vancouver developer is days away from a public hearing to decide the future of two of Victoria’s oldest buildings, which have been sitting vacant on the waterfront for more than 40 years.

Reliance Properties wants to rehabilitate the Northern Junk (or Gold Rush) warehouses, near the Johnson Street Bridge, and incorporate them into a six-storey mixed-use building with commercial space — likely food or beverage outlets — 47 rental residential units, an internal alleyway and a waterfront walkway. No parking is included in the project, which is on a protected bike lane and at the start of the Galloping Goose trail.

Stovell gave a tour of the buildings to media members on Monday.

The front of both buildings was covered in stucco over the years. Reliance plans to reproduce what the facades are believed to have looked like originally, based on the advice of heritage consultants and photographs of a neighbouring building thought to be in the same style, Stovell said.

The interiors of the one-storey buildings are largely empty, aside from debris, and in poor condition, with sloping, uneven floors that give way to large holes, and broken windows boarded up.

https://www.timescol...ings-1.24346466

tc-302714-web-northern-junk-redev-1-jpg.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 July 2021 - 06:28 AM.

#447 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,848 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 06:29 AM

A commentary by the president and CEO of Reliance Properties, owner of the Northern Junk buildings.

Downtown Victoria has seen significant changes in the past decade, many for the better. The ongoing revitalization of Old Town coupled with the new Johnson Street Bridge are among the many projects that have made for a more vibrant and appealing urban centre.

https://www.timescol...-now-1.24346459

We have more than 60 years of dedication and leadership in heritage revitalization, including winning multiple awards for adaptive reuse of cherished old buildings, and we have the pride of owning Western Canada’s largest heritage portfolio, including notable buildings in Victoria, such as Capital Iron and The Janion, which we ­redeveloped in 2013.

We knew that we were the best company to turn Northern Junk into a waterfront gem once again. What we didn’t know is that it would be such a battle to achieve a vision that satisfies everyone.

Over the past 10-plus years, we drafted a dozen proposals — two in the past year alone — at a cost to us of more than $1 million.

tc-302714-web-northern-junk-redev-5-jpg.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 July 2021 - 06:33 AM.

#448 jstovell

jstovell
  • 119 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 07:44 AM

NJ in the news.......

• Mike K. likes this

#449 franticvike

franticvike
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 11:52 AM

Support letter sent.  Godspeed

#450 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,848 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 11:59 AM

tc writes an article and runs an op-ed with 6 renderings from the developer on the same day. 2 days before the hearing.

what a time to be alive.

I sent off a support letter.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 July 2021 - 12:00 PM.

#451 jstovell

jstovell
  • 119 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 12:57 PM

All

Thanks for the support letters. Any more are welcome.

Here is my interview on CFAX:

https://www.iheartradio.ca/cfax-1070/audio/northern-junk-proposing-to-rezone-historic-warehouses-1.15705906

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#452 jstovell

jstovell
  • 119 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 12:58 PM

https://www.iheartra...uses-1.15705906

#453 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 01:20 PM

Sent my letter in. 

Hope it helps.

#454 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 01:42 PM

I am not wild about development but this looks pretty good to me; anything to get rid of the druggies that gather there.

#455 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 01:51 PM

The DRA has just released a statement opposing this development:  https://www.victoria...ing-application

Personally, I am not a resident of downtown proper (I live in Fairfield), but I would support the approval of this application.

#456 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 02:02 PM

The DRA has proven themselves to be just another group of NIMBYs who, like many neighbourhood associations, don't represent the majority view of those who live in their area.

• DavidSchell and DougG like this

#457 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,848 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 02:04 PM

I agree. what is their membership at large numbers at meetings? I suspect it’s under 10.

#458 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 02:31 PM

The DRA has just released a statement opposing this development:  https://www.victoria...ing-application

Good lord.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#459 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 02:44 PM

The DRA is an embarrassment. I wonder how many new members would be required to effectively seize control?  :)

#460 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,848 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 02:50 PM

^ watch the fernwood CA for a leftist takeover soon.

https://www.capitald...ty-associations

all the City needs to do is ask “how many people come out to your meetings?”

it’s painfully small compared to their claimed constituency.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 July 2021 - 02:54 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users