APPROVED
1314-1318 Wharf Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1314-1318 Wharf Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
1314-1318 Wharf Street is a proposal for a six-storey mixed-use rental complex with ground floor retail space ... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1314-1318 Wharf Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] 1314-1318 Wharf Street / Northern Junk | Rentals; retail | 6-storeys

• Please log in to reply
652 replies to this topic

#61 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:06 PM

The other thing: this building will be very small now, yes?

#62 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:06 PM

Isn't that supposed to be the one wall showing through the window there?

Again, it's hard to say based on one rendering. Maybe. Who really cares anymore?

#63 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:07 PM

The other thing: this building will be very small now, yes?

Maybe 60% of what was previously envisioned for the site? Less?

#64 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:38 PM

Yeah, you can see the wall but it's now a museum recreation. That delicate rubble makes no visual sense as the foundation of a large modern building. I'd need to see more pictures before I could say anything more positive.
  • Nparker likes this

#65 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:49 PM

...That delicate rubble makes no visual sense as the foundation of a large modern building. 

That's the thing. There is no way the existing walls of the NJ buildings can support the weight of 4 floors above them without being entirely rebuilt and seismically upgraded.

NJ1.JPG

NJ2.JPG

NJ3.JPG

NJ4.JPG

#66 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:59 PM

The walls are heritage. They will be left. The supporting structure will be on the inside.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#67 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:00 PM

The walls are heritage. They will be left...

Assuming they don't crumble in the attempt to shore them up. 

#68 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:03 PM

Some historical context for "preserving" the open space at NJ.  :squint:

NJ 1947.JPG

[Vintage Air Photos of BC BO-47-1455]

#69 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:11 PM

Assuming [the walls] don't crumble in the attempt to shore them up. 

...The entire brick and rubble stone structure of the exterior of the building should be assessed and carefully reviewed to ascertain the status and stability of the bricks and interlocking pointing. A preliminary review indicates that it has been poorly or not maintained and will required significant repairs, repointing, and replacement of field bricks,and stitching, patching and possible replacement of several stone sills and headers. Additional damage may be hidden behind the current stucco cladding on the front elevation of the building, and will require reviews as the removal and replacement/repair process proceeds...

https://tender.victo...825093140920000

#70 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:13 PM

Some more historical context.

NJ 1885.JPG

#71 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:25 PM

Well you can certainly see the historical impetus for all the open space...
  • Mike K., aastra, Nparker and 2 others like this

It has a whole new look!

#72 jstovell

jstovell
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 02:17 PM

Here are two renderings including the water side:

https://www.dropbox....B9pf9MSkHa?dl=0

• RFS likes this

#73 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 02:21 PM

you’ve got to be kidding me.

#74 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 03:29 PM

Bra-vo CoV. Well done: you've had a decade to decide to build on a small tiny lot any other city virtually anywhere would have long ago actually vetted, approved and built. Yet we are nearly ten years later still squabbling over an extra floor or three, and what's worse you rejected at least two previous designs that were infinitely superior and perfectly suited to this site.

I'm with Jonny, if I were the developer I'd submit a plan for an RV park with a huge dose of "eff you", then simply walk away. A world class city my a**. World class whiners and complainers? Absolutely.

With this site I sincerely hope you now get what you so richly deserve. I mean.. a middling 5-story square box design - something that wouldn't be out of place on Cook Street or a dozen other neighborhoods? And on a high profile waterfront 'gateway' site no less....are you kidding me?

Victoria wouldn't know truly world class, signature architecture if it fell gift wrapped with a Christmas bow out of Architecture Digest and landed squarely on top of city hall. Heaven forbid it ever signs off on something interesting, innovative and even - gasp - daring, when everyone knows that dumpy, frumpy, squat and above all short is all that ultimately matters in this town. And lastly, topped off with red brick - 'naturally'. I won't be the least bit surprised if the local fake heritage brigade is positively orgasmic over this.....

• Nparker and grantpalin like this

#75 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:45 PM

..A world class city my a**. ..

A city that evaluates architectural proposals on whether they exceed the height of hydro poles is never going to be world class.

#76 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 05:02 PM

I think this looks pretty nice. Forgetting the rest of it and taking this project here on merit and considering the Old Town guidelines. I would say it looks quite good.
  • victorian likes this

It has a whole new look!

#77 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 07:34 PM

As a stand alone project this is not the worst design I have ever seen. However, since I can't un-see or un-know what was proposed for this location, and how this is such a pale compromise compared to what had the potential to be truly transformative, I simply cannot bring myself to endorse this current concept.

• aastra likes this

#78 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 08:08 PM

Honestly, I'm into it. Should council have gotten this over with forever ago? Absolutely. But with this aside, I think this is quite an attractive design. Probably my second favourite design after the original tower proposal. Any other design looked to me like either a bulky building awkwardly plunked next to two tiny ones (like the last version) or a Victoria Regent Hotel 2.0 enveloping the two little buildings (2012 version). It is, of course, disappointing to see that the site will provide fewer units though.

I assume the bridgehead green will not stay as is but would be re-landscaped, no? I know we lament the amount of unused open space in Victoria that is open for the sake of being open, but I think it's important to consider how much larger downtown's population will be in a few years, and that open space will not be something we could ever get back once it's gone without knocking down a few buildings. I think as long as the landscaping is interesting enough, I am okay with keeping the space.

• victorian likes this

#79 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 09:17 PM

... we lament the amount of unused open space in Victoria that is open for the sake of being open, but I think it's important to consider how much larger downtown's population will be in a few years, and that open space will not be something we could ever get back once it's gone without knocking down a few buildings...

The population of the CoV could triple and the amount of vacuous "public space" in and around the downtown core would still be empty 50% of the year.

• sdwright.vic and victorian like this

#80 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 03:23 PM

I think from the perspective of proper density for this site, this is a good proposal. The other iterations were too bulky in my opinion, and would have seriously diminished the aesthetics of the entrance to the bridge. That being said, valid points have been raised about the way the heritage will be retained, and what will happen to that excess city property. I would like to see this go ahead and finally have some life in that area. And a connection that hooks up the Foster Walkway will be great to have.

• victorian likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users