APPROVED
1314-1318 Wharf Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1314-1318 Wharf Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
1314-1318 Wharf Street is a proposal for a six-storey mixed-use rental complex with ground floor retail space ... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1314-1318 Wharf Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] 1314-1318 Wharf Street / Northern Junk | Rentals; retail | 6-storeys

• Please log in to reply
652 replies to this topic

#221 jstovell

jstovell
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:42 AM

Hi VV. One more chance to write letters of support to Council.

mayorandcouncil@victoria.ca

Thanks.

#222 jstovell

jstovell
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:46 AM

And here is a link to the Council report.

https://www.dropbox....djZmDQiIyfC9exC

#223 intheknow

intheknow
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 04:40 PM

Well, I sure hope Council sees fit to take the Staff's recommendation. I would so love to see this part of town more populated and active. The report says that this is a priority location? Sure doesn't seem that way. I don't know what's been happening in the background- but the last time this application went to council was 2012 as far as I can tell. Still, this iteration is my favorite of the lot. 

Edited by intheknow, 09 June 2020 - 04:41 PM.

#224 DavidL

DavidL
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 10:03 AM

Northern Junk referred back to staff, failed to get approval to go to public hearing.  Issit, Dubow, CJ, Young and Loveday opposed.

• DavidSchell likes this

#225 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,653 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 10:06 AM

Northern Junk referred back to staff, failed to get approval to go to public hearing.  Issit, Dubow, CJ, Young and Loveday opposed.

And the story goes on and on and on...

Did the quintet give reasons for their opposition?

#226 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 11 June 2020 - 10:23 AM

Issit indicated at a previous meeting (for the Cook & Pendergast development) that he would not support any market housing at this time. Not sure about the rest of the bloq, but Dubow also voiced concerns at that meeting about lack of affordable rental housing.

#227 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 10:25 AM

Unique & small-scale Victoria-style heritage restoration projects have no place in Victoria because they would ruin Victoria.

I've wondered before if the ultimate goal may be to stall until the buildings are unsalvageable. The creation of Reeson Park back in the day was a much celebrated thing, as if the key to "preserving" Victoria's waterfront was the clearing away of every old building and replacing the historic urban/industrial vibe with suburban green space.

Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised if the CoV eventually acquires the property and knocks the old buildings down (maybe leaving a few stones in place along with a picture of what the buildings used to look like and a plaque proclaiming the city's commitment to preservation). My mouth wouldn't hang open. I wouldn't be stunned into unconsciousness. I wouldn't drop dead from the shock of it.

• Rob Randall and Nparker like this

#228 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,653 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 10:25 AM

Dubow in lockstep with Comrade Isitt? I'm shocked.  <_<

• mbjj likes this

#229 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 10:26 AM

Issit indicated at a previous meeting (for the Cook & Pendergast development) that he would not support any market housing at this time.

Fair enough. Did we expect him to be an enthusiastic supporter of new market housing for his entire political career? A guy is allowed to change, isn't he?

Edited by aastra, 11 June 2020 - 01:10 PM.

• Rob Randall likes this

#230 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,997 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 10:27 AM

Lots of reasons, Heritage Committee anonymously against it didn't help.

Edited by spanky123, 11 June 2020 - 10:34 AM.

#231 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 10:38 AM

I think any heritage committee should be required to demonstrate some inclination toward heritage preservation before they can be referred to as a heritage committee.

It's like giving Godzilla a lifetime appointment as head of the urban preservation institute.

• sebberry likes this

#232 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 10:39 AM

It's like giving Godzilla a lifetime appointment as head of the urban preservation institute.

He must be really sincere and committed right? Just look at his title.

#233 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 10:43 AM

Crikey, in April, 2010 some bozo on this board said:

You're expecting a negative fuss about this project? Wouldn't such a fuss confirm that Victoria has plunged into a mire of outrageous hypocrisy worthy of the end times?

Maybe he was more right than he realized.

Edited by aastra, 11 June 2020 - 10:44 AM.

#234 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,796 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 10:47 AM

Godzilla's allegiance and motivations have changed from film to film to suit the needs of the story. Although Godzilla does not like humans, it will fight alongside humanity against common threats. However, it makes no special effort to protect human life or property and will turn against its human allies on a whim. It is not motivated to attack by predatory instinct: it does not eat people and instead sustains itself on nuclear radiation and an omnivorous diet. When inquired if Godzilla was "good or bad", producer Shogo Tomiyama likened it to a Shinto "God of Destruction" which lacks moral agency and cannot be held to human standards of good and evil. "He totally destroys everything and then there is a rebirth. Something new and fresh can begin."

https://en.m.wikiped...g/wiki/Godzilla

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 June 2020 - 10:48 AM.

• Rob Randall and todd like this

#235 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,431 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 10:52 AM

Northern Junk referred back to staff, failed to get approval to go to public hearing. Issit, Dubow, CJ, Young and Loveday opposed.

Oh my.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#236 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 10:58 AM

When inquired if Godzilla was "good or bad", producer Shogo Tomiyama likened it to a Shinto "God of Destruction" which lacks moral agency and cannot be held to human standards of good and evil.

I've said the exact same thing about the heritage preservation mission in Victoria. You'd get more consistent support for heritage preservation and restoration by flipping a coin.

#237 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 11:00 AM

^Speaking of the end times, if the final horn blows today and that ends up being my last ever post, I'll go out feeling satisfied.

• Rob Randall likes this

#238 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,431 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 11:13 AM

Don’t forget to renew your annual membership today, soon-ish, if you could.
  • aastra likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#239 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 11:56 AM

I'm liking the multi-year option. Cheaper over the long run.

#240 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,431 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 12:15 PM

Did I say annual? I meant multi-year!

Come meet me in the executive lounge and let’s get this signed.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users