APPROVED
1314-1318 Wharf Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1314-1318 Wharf Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
1314-1318 Wharf Street is a proposal for a six-storey mixed-use rental complex with ground floor retail space ... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1314-1318 Wharf Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] 1314-1318 Wharf Street / Northern Junk | Rentals; retail | 6-storeys

• Please log in to reply
652 replies to this topic

#241 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 12:26 PM

I am disappointed though not surprised. Tragic. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#242 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 12:49 PM

Issit indicated at a previous meeting (for the Cook & Pendergast development) that he would not support any market housing at this time. 

How can a Councillor make a statement like this and not be laughed out of town 

• Nparker and max.bravo like this

#243 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 01:02 PM

How can a Councillor make a statement like this and not be laughed out of town

It's a time of crisis so people expect their heroic politicians to be focused on the important stuff. Fluff issues like employment or housing can take a back seat.

(And please resist the temptation to remember how fluff issues like employment and housing were already taking a back seat long before today.)

#244 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 01:31 PM

I'm in favor of affordable housing in general. But anyone that thinks we should be building affordable housing on prime waterfront lots is just not thinking clearly.

• Nparker likes this

#245 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 01:39 PM

...anyone that thinks we should be building affordable housing on prime waterfront lots is just not thinking clearly.

That's the thing about ideology trumping practicality. The CoV could have sold the land around NJ to the developer for a very good price. This money could then have been used to build affordable housing in a more practical location. But when you are driven by ideology, your only motivation is sticking it to those you consider the enemies of your beliefs, and that is precisely what Council* is doing here.

*I am not entirely sure of Geoff Young's motivation, except perhaps he thought it was time for him to be curmudgeonly.

#246 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 01:42 PM

Ironically, this churn is extremely expensive.  All it does is drive up prices and makes it less likely to have affordable housing in the CoV. 

#247 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 05:47 PM

I'd make a communist joke but Young was also opposed? What gives? 

#248 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 06:55 PM

Young felt the additions overwhelmed the heritage buildings and was upset that it had come to a point where the developer could not build on the northern city-owned property instead. 

#249 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 07:47 PM

Northern Junk referred back to staff, failed to get approval to go to public hearing.  Issit, Dubow, CJ, Young and Loveday opposed.

OMG, we need to boot this counsel out ... this is just beyond belief  :bow:  

#250 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 08:11 PM

Young felt the additions overwhelmed the heritage buildings and was upset that it had come to a point where the developer could not build on the northern city-owned property instead. 

I can't say I disagree with this, but between the city and the DRA that ship sailed some time ago.

#251 jstovell

jstovell
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 07:29 AM

https://www.timescol...ears-1.24151034

#252 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 June 2020 - 07:32 AM

This is one pathetic city council.

Edited by MarkoJ, 12 June 2020 - 07:32 AM.

• Nparker, lanforod and m3m like this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#253 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 07:35 AM

Meanwhile the Sparrow project on Cook and Hillside was approved: https://victoria.cit...condos/sparrow/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#254 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 08:04 AM

Methinks the entire saga is a perfect summary of the actual attitudes that have always festered beneath the "we love heritage, we love downtown" window dressing. Anyone who reads that TC article and still doesn't understand the game will never get it.

The city and the public have "very high" expectations. Not inscrutable expectations, not feigned expectations, not spurious expectations, not circuitous expectations, not contradictory expectations... but "very high" expectations. Those expectations are so high that they still can't be expressed in words in a manner that comes anywhere close to being definitive, even after more than a decade. Just give us something that meets our very high expectations, for crying out loud! What's so difficult?

And yet again I have to give a point to Lisa Helps for her quote:

Mayor Lisa Helps objected to yet another delay as well, and warned that council’s perpetual foot dragging is costing developers “hundreds of thousands of dollars” that will translate into higher rents down the road.

"The more time we tack on, the more money it costs,” she said.

Obviously every single one of them understands this, not just for this project but for all housing projects. But I have to give her a point for saying it, and a point to the TC for printing it.

• Rob Randall, Nparker, Hotel Mike and 2 others like this

#255 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 08:11 AM

Hmmm. Maybe it would be better if the old buildings were set apart from the new construction?

You mean like how they were set apart in that excellent proposal from several years ago that we crapped all over?

Yeah, like that. That one was really good.

#256 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 08:21 AM

Hmmm. Maybe it would be better if the old buildings were set apart from the new construction? You mean like how they were set apart in that excellent proposal from several years ago that we crapped all over?

Don't count me as part of "we". I much preferred the earlier proposals that preserved the heritage structures in more or less their original forms, rather than turning them into foundations for new construction.

#257 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 08:25 AM

The sheer amount of variation evident in the style, massing, and scale of the various proposals testifies to how broken the process is.

Heck, for me personally I've loved some of them, I've hated some of them, and I've been in the middle about some of them. But the critics have hated all of them, seemingly by default, even though their complaints tend to swirl around some undefinable & hypothetical ideal rather than relating to the specific attributes of the proposals themselves.

Every meal on the menu has been rejected. Every book on the shelf has been rejected. But there's nothing wrong with the process. Don't you dare suggest there's something wrong with the process. All we ask is that you give us something good.

• Nparker likes this

#258 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 08:29 AM

When we claim Victoria's identity is so impossibly difficult to pin down, what are we really saying? Victoria has no identity?

(This is the implication, but it's baloney. Certain forces are still trying to force a false identity upon Victoria. The city's real identity keeps bubbling up and those forces keep trying to pound it down with a sledgehammer.)

#259 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 08:29 AM

For those who may have forgotten some of the earlier proposals for this site. This one was presented back in 2012.

Northern Junk 2012.jpg

• LJ likes this

#260 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 10:21 AM

Obviously every single one of them understands this, not just for this project but for all housing projects. But I have to give her a point for saying it, and a point to the TC for printing it.

How many points did we subtract back when anything over five-storeys was a "tower" as far as the TC was concerned, with tale after tale that such proposals would "ruin" the Victoria as we "know it?"

It's too little, too late. These players created the housing crunch and now, decades later, they're realizing bureaucracy leads to higher costs which leads to affordability issues which leads to a housing crisis? We told them that 20 years ago, for free, but what we got back in return was ridicule.

• m3m likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users