APPROVED
1314-1318 Wharf Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1314-1318 Wharf Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
1314-1318 Wharf Street is a proposal for a six-storey mixed-use rental complex with ground floor retail space ... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1314-1318 Wharf Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] 1314-1318 Wharf Street / Northern Junk | Rentals; retail | 6-storeys

• Please log in to reply
652 replies to this topic

#581 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 09:46 AM

I oppose all housing projects big or small. Obviously any one project will not instantly resolve the decades-long housing crisis all by itself, so why bother? Kudos to all the heroic politicians who have been sticking to their guns in this regard for the past 70 years. The passage of time has proven them right.

• Nparker likes this

#582 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,998 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 12:07 PM

^ On that basis then why insist on rentals when luxury condos would yield the same result in adding to availability of housing?!

#583 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 12:41 PM

I love the letters in the TC talking about how tourists come here for our old buildings. Like there are lots of tourists hanging out in Reeson Park enjoying the architectural splendor of some crumbling warehouses.

• Nparker likes this

#584 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,998 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 12:43 PM

^ I guess if tourists can't afford to go anywhere else then by comparison our buildings and architecture are something to behold!

#585 jstovell

jstovell
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 12:51 PM

https://www.timescol...down-1.24349334

#586 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 12:54 PM

The Old England thing still lingers, and its damaging effects have left a mark on this city.

So now we’re on to emulating Amsterdam courtesy of the New Wave twitter urbanists. What could go wrong, when we pursue an urban agenda predicated upon cherry picked aspects of a place and culture we are not?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#587 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,799 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 05:22 AM

We should purge the Northern Junk eyesore

It’s about time that a decision has been made regarding the Northern Junk buildings. It is incomprehensible to me how citizens can be so vehemently opposed to redevelopment of the site.

Regardless of the building’s historical origins as ship ballast, the buildings as they sit today are unusable, dangerous, and clash badly with the surroundings.

https://www.timescol...down-1.24349334

#588 jstovell

jstovell
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 10:58 AM

Thanks all on VV for your support over the years.

We also want you to know that Reliance gives back to the community:

https://www.reliancedcbankopen.ca

https://www.reliance...en.ca/sponsors/

The charity recipient of the Reliance / DB Bank open will be the Salvation Army

https://www.reliance...pen.ca/charity/

who's work in the community we greatly respect.

Thanks again.

Jon Stovell

• Nparker, Hotel Mike, Victoria Watcher and 1 other like this

#589 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,998 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 11:43 AM

The Old England thing still lingers, and its damaging effects have left a mark on this city.

So now we’re on to emulating Amsterdam courtesy of the New Wave twitter urbanists. What could go wrong, when we pursue an urban agenda predicated upon cherry picked aspects of a place and culture we are not?

I am sure Amsterdam is the model because of its open drug and prostitution policies! Nevertheless, trying to compare Victoria to a City of 5 million people a continent away and 5x older is silly.  

Although anything Old England may be passe these days, the Empress still seems to run a pretty good business! I suspect that if you interviewed people who actually have the money to contribute to our tourism and business success you would find that Old England stands up better than what our current alternative is.

• Nparker, A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#590 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 01:30 PM

Are you guys telling me we can't have a bike wonderland with big single family homes for everyone and preserving decrepit warehouses in downtown? Say it ain't so.

• Nparker and Daveyboy like this

#591 Vin

Vin
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 01:19 PM

This is great news. Honestly I'm happier about this than Canada winning gold for Women's soccer.  Let's get this place rebuilt to finally suit the heritage surroundings of Old Town. Go Reliance!

• DavidSchell and On the Level like this

#592 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,799 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 05:11 AM

While not surprised, I, along with the majority of speakers at the public hearing, writers of letters to the Times Colonist, and a majority of Victoria citizens who are not property developers, were saddened by the loss of visibility that Victoria council approved for the 1860 Northern Junk warehouses. The approved development buries those small but sole survivors of the 19th century gold rushes.

Senior heritage planner John O’Reilly said, “many people feel that an ideal solution to rehabilitate the building will materialize … but having reviewed the file and 11 years of attempts … staff are not convinced that there’s an ideal solution out there that involves no compromise,” he said.

that's a bit of a bold statement.

https://www.timescol...past-1.24356319

For example: the rehabilitation of the Old Custom House on Wharf Street and additional new development on the Wharf/Government corner.

I felt that the 1937 “moderne” federal offices were worth preserving given the scarcity of structures of this style in Victoria or the Capital Regional District.

Fortunately, the federal government preserved its cousin at the southwest corner of Government and Yates.

Sadly, there was no protection available for the moderne offices at Government and Wharf, neither by developer or the city.

Approaching from the causeway and Government Street, the new addition overwhelms the Old Customs House. Where’s the “Respect”?

i think people like the writer here lose sight of the fact that this is private property in both cases.  and the developer has an expectation to develop it in such a fashion to realize some profit, after all the money spent.  if we remove that prospect, similar properties will never be improved.  sure the federal government did what it did, it had no concern about cost.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 September 2021 - 05:16 AM.

#593 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 08:50 AM

I felt that the 1937 “moderne” federal offices were worth preserving...

By this we mean the 1957 "moderne" federal offices? And by this we also mean the original 1957 building, and not the 1990s faux-heritage remodel? So many people are still unclear about the history of the post office site. I won't be surprised if the story eventually morphs to say the original ornate 1890s post office was thoughtlessly torn down for condos.

Approaching from the causeway and Government Street, the new addition overwhelms the Old Customs House. Where’s the “Respect”?

The relationship between the new condo section and the 1910s customs house wing is similar to the relationship between the original 1890s post office and the 1910s customs house wing. The old post office at the Government Street corner was taller and showier than the long & less ornate customs house addition. To my eye the original milieu has been restored about as well as it possibly could be done (assuming we don't want to indulge in outright faux replication of the lost post office building).

post-office.jpg

Lest we forget, the 1890s post office was the first grand building in the inner harbour scene. This project is also paying loads of respect to its setting by trying to restore some of that lost grandeur. And yet we criticize the effort for somehow being disrespectful or insensitive?

I wonder, did anyone accuse the grand 1890s post office of disrespecting the other buildings around it? Did anyone accuse the Belmont Building of disrespecting the post office? Did anyone accuse the Empress Hotel's many wings and additions of disrespecting the Belmont Building AND the post office?

532da048cb6d94c5752da82dac57dcaf.jpg

---

ce99f33ee03d2cba10db381ea8d68186.jpg

Edited by aastra, 09 September 2021 - 08:53 AM.

#594 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 09:02 AM

...did anyone accuse the grand 1890s post office of disrespecting the other buildings around it? Did anyone accuse the Belmont Building of disrespecting the post office? Did anyone accuse the Empress Hotel's many wings and additions of disrespecting the Belmont Building AND the post office?

Let me be the first. I accuse the Empress Hotel's Humboldt Street wing of looming disrespectfully over the Union Club building. Come on, it towers over it. Gloom and shadow.

• Nparker and corvus like this

#595 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 09:45 AM

In those old photos, I like the entrance at the north-east corner of the old building. Customs House hasn't matched that. However, all in all, this project will seriously enhance what was there since the 1950s. And I bet some of the businesses close by are salivating at the thought of super rich people moving in next door.

• Nparker likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#596 punk cannonballer

punk cannonballer
  • 239 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 12:20 PM

Didn't know that Victoria was ever 'right hand drive' so to speak. Interesting.

• Vin likes this

#597 Vin

Vin
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 02:37 PM

Didn't know that Victoria was ever 'right hand drive' so to speak. Interesting.

Of course, Canada was part of the British Empire (and now the British Commonwealth). BC did not switch to the current side until the 1920s. Canada is probably one of the few Commonwealth countries that drive on the right side of the road today.

#598 Vin

Vin
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 02:39 PM

By this we mean the 1957 "moderne" federal offices? And by this we also mean the original 1957 building, and not the 1990s faux-heritage remodel? So many people are still unclear about the history of the post office site. I won't be surprised if the story eventually morphs to say the original ornate 1890s post office was thoughtlessly torn down for condos.

The relationship between the new condo section and the 1910s customs house wing is similar to the relationship between the original 1890s post office and the 1910s customs house wing. The old post office at the Government Street corner was taller and showier than the long & less ornate customs house addition. To my eye the original milieu has been restored about as well as it possibly could be done (assuming we don't want to indulge in outright faux replication of the lost post office building).

attachicon.gif post-office.jpg

Lest we forget, the 1890s post office was the first grand building in the inner harbour scene. This project is also paying loads of respect to its setting by trying to restore some of that lost grandeur. And yet we criticize the effort for somehow being disrespectful or insensitive?

I wonder, did anyone accuse the grand 1890s post office of disrespecting the other buildings around it? Did anyone accuse the Belmont Building of disrespecting the post office? Did anyone accuse the Empress Hotel's many wings and additions of disrespecting the Belmont Building AND the post office?

532da048cb6d94c5752da82dac57dcaf.jpg

---

ce99f33ee03d2cba10db381ea8d68186.jpg

Victoria looked so much more beautiful and grander in the past. The new Customs House wing does not do much to bring part of that back, considering that it replaced another heritage wing that was worth preserving. 

• A Girl is No one and yellow_baron like this

#599 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 03:01 PM

Surveyors were onsite today
  • Nparker likes this

#600 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 04:22 PM

The new Customs House wing does not do much to bring part of that back...

But then again, it does much more than any modern building has yet done in the old town/inner harbour area. It does much more than the lame 1990s faux-heritage reno it replaced, and it does much more than the Harbour Square complex right next door.

Instead of nursing that established Victorian attitude of eternal dissatisfaction, why not dare to break the pattern and ask ourselves: What exactly is our standard? What are we comparing against? Why do we place such a heavy burden on each singular small project? And what do we gain by supposing Victoria's built form is so incomparably challenging and undefinable that any new development must inevitably be inadequate and disappointing?

All we really need to do is open our eyes and take an honest look at what's there now and what was there in the past.

• Nparker, Hotel Mike, Daveyboy and 1 other like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users