The Redfern
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1908-1920 Oak Bay Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
Condo units: (1BR, 3BR, 2BR + den)
Sales status: pre-sales
The Redfern is a proposal for a four-storey condominium building with ground floor commercial spaces along the... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Redfern on Citified.ca
Photo

[South Jubilee] The Redfern | Condos; retail | 4-storeys

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 03:41 PM

And just to confirm, this is Jawl Residential which is not affiliated with Jawl Properties.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 07:18 AM

Brantastic, could you snap some photos of the gardens when you get a chance? Would love to see it.

Here you go. There's a couple empty spots now as they were just freshly dug up to make room for fall planting. The rooftop amenities are pretty amazing. We've also got 2 barbecues, 2 dining tables, 3 propane firepits, many free lawn games, a dog hangout area (not shown), free yoga by a professional instructor every Saturday, and the gym opens up to the outside courtyard via 3 large glass garage doors. This doesn't include all the indoor amenities (games room, DIY room/workshop, "jam room" with musical instruments, kayak storage, community room, etc.).

118882313_346538966488123_35339805805847

119116453_2841986226081262_3240501630118

119061967_620683821924917_34219377477628

• gstc84, todd and newbie_01 like this

#23 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 September 2020 - 07:24 AM

And just to confirm, this is Jawl Residential which is not affiliated with Jawl Properties.

Oh man, so it's a Bosa Properties and Bosa Development situation, eh?

• Mike K. likes this

#24 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 02:03 PM

I’d hate to manage that gravel/grass edge. Or is that artificial?

Edited by todd, 10 September 2020 - 02:07 PM.

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 02:21 PM

Nice, thanks Bran!

Jackerbie, exactly right. Jawl Residential renamed itself several years ago from Trebizond Developments.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 07:06 PM

I’d hate to manage that gravel/grass edge. Or is that artificial?

artificial

• todd likes this

#27 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:49 AM

Victoria council has referred the 35-unit, four-storey development set to go into Oak Bay Avenue and Redfern Street to a public hearing.

Named the Redfern by applicant Jawl Development, the building will replace the GardenWorks nursery and garden store from 1908 to 1920 Oak Bay Avenue.

https://www.vicnews....rooftop-garden/

redfern was a former mayor.  i did not know that.

https://en.wikipedia...rles_E._Redfern

his wife:

https://en.wikipedia..._Arden_Robinson

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 September 2020 - 10:54 AM.

#28 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:47 AM

Per the article posted by Victoria Watcher, I wonder if Discovery Coffee is planning to move into the ground floor the Redfern development?

#29 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:53 AM

The real win from this proposal is another crosswalk along Oak Bay Avenue.

• Mike K. and Kapten Kapsell like this

#30 punk cannonballer

punk cannonballer
  • 239 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 02:24 PM

Discovery Coffee is planning to move there, yes. It really calls into question the future of their existing building at the corner of Amphion and Oak Bay. I live on the north side of Amphion and I agree that the extra crosswalk is desperately needed. I cannot tell you the number of times I have risked life and limb for a sourdough swiss and Montreal beef grilled sandwich (dijon on BOTH SIDES, sprouts, lettuce, pickle) and a bag of deck screws. The Red Barn Urban Improvement Area is a veritable death trap with half blind octogenarians pedal to the metal eastbound hell bent for Ottavio's on a Tuesday lunch. Dodging hybrid Rav4s in a real-life high-stakes version of Oak Bay Tijuana Frogger is best ended.

Edited by punk cannonballer, 30 September 2020 - 02:26 PM.

• Mike K., Kapten Kapsell, Matt R. and 4 others like this

#31 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 02:45 PM

Old people are ruining Oak Bay.*

*VV forumers not included

Seriously though, remember when we used to say a neighbourhood full of old people would be quiet, slow-paced, light traffic? Not sure when exactly it changed, but sometime in the past 5-10 years we decided the only thing more intense than a neighbourhood full of young people was a neighbourhood full of old people.

#32 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 11:33 AM

This is going to a public hearing on Thursday Dec 10.

• JohnsonStBridge likes this

#33 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 09:03 AM

Was this project approved at last night's public hearing?

#34 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 09:57 AM

Was this project approved at last night's public hearing?

Yes, it was.

• Mike K. likes this

#35 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 06:00 PM

Also important to note that the developer spoke at the council meeting about apparently working with GardenWorks to help them find another suitable site to reopen elsewhere in the neighborhood. I'm not sure if anything will come of it, but I hope they can figure something out. Although I'm supportive of this development, I'm going to be sad to see GardenWorks go. It's a great amenity for the neighborhood, I frequent it often, and it's my biggest reason to visit the Jubilee Village area (and I often stop at Red Barn, Harry's Flowers, Deadbeatz, Discovery, or some of the furniture, art, or decor stores when I'm around there). I'm not interested in shopping at Canadian Tire, so there's few places left to get garden materials left in the "City of Gardens". I go to Seaberry in Cook Street Village sometimes, but they're quite small.

#36 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 07:53 AM

Is Dig This still open just down the street on Oak Bay and Foul Bay?

Know it all.

#37 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 09:40 AM

Is Dig This still open just down the street on Oak Bay and Foul Bay?

No, it became a hair salon a couple years ago.

• Mike K. likes this

#38 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 10:02 AM

Perhaps someone can enlighten me. How different is this project than the "Pic-a-Flic" proposal in the CSV? Does the Redfern include a significant below market housing component? Has the developer offered other amenities that made this one more appealing to CoV council? Why did this pass with relative ease while the CSV proposal languishes?

#39 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 10:12 AM

Perhaps someone can enlighten me. How different is this project than the "Pic-a-Flic" proposal in the CSV? Does the Redfern include a significant below market housing component? Has the developer offered other amenities that made this one more appealing to CoV council? Why did this pass with relative ease while the CSV proposal languishes?

I believe the difference for Potts and Loveday was that no currently affordable housing is needing to be demolished to make way for the new building, whereas this was the case for the Cook Street Village proposal. They argued that the developer should at least provide enough affordable units to replace those that are lost. This proposal doesn't have a net loss in affordable housing. Dubow was not present to vote on the Redfern proposal. Isitt voted both proposals down because of affordability concerns.

#40 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 10:18 AM

I still believe that a net gain of housing (the CSV project) should outweigh the alleged loss of "affordable" housing.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users