Photo

Controversial speakers or events in Greater Victoria

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#61 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 10:18 PM

As per the Charter, we have “freedom of expression” (with limits) in Canada, as opposed to the “right of free speech”.

Nothing in the Charter says you have some sort of right to not be shouted at by protesters. You don’t have a right to be heard.
  • Jason-L likes this

#62 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,853 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:54 AM

You don’t have a right to be heard.

except that certain people will use the power of the government to remove protesters.  for example if you heckle the prime minister

#63 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:07 AM

As per the Charter, we have “freedom of expression” (with limits) in Canada, as opposed to the “right of free speech”.

Nothing in the Charter says you have some sort of right to not be shouted at by protesters. You don’t have a right to be heard.

HUH?

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

• (a) freedom of conscience and religion;

• (bfreedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;

• (cfreedom of peaceful assembly; and

• (d) freedom of association.

And when the mob threatens by screaming, pulling fire alarms, setting off bear spray what part exempts them from this...

7. Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of the person and the right not to be deprived thereof except in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice.

and this....

15. (1) Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.

I dont see anything in the Charter that says Antifa or any other mob whether left or right or simply nuts have the power to determine what is legal or hate speech etc. 

Everyone has the right of free speech, expression and opinion, but we dont have the right to bully, torment, intimidate or threaten. So if you dont agree with something, nobody is stopping you to organize a protest and let people know your position but its pretty ironic when these same folks scream it was hate speech when they themselves are inciting violence and intolerance themselves.

• Nparker, RFS and pennymurphy2000 like this

#64 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:10 AM

Thinking of the protests against SJA and the OB protest etc where the same people turn up to protest everything it reminds me of what I posted on the CoV thread and its pretty apt for this thread

“Historians of the future will have a hard time figuring out how so many organized groups of strident jackasses succeeded in leading us around by the nose and morally intimidating the majority into silence.” 

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#65 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:13 AM

^and this is why populations are rushing to support law-and-order-minded politicians. At some point society will have enough of roving violent/intimidating groups deciding who gets to speak and who doesn't, and that point is drawing ever closer with every protest at the hands of the same cast of characters.

• rjag and pennymurphy2000 like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#66 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:23 AM

^and this is why populations are rushing to support law-and-order-minded politicians...

Be careful what you wish for.

• Mike K., rjag and pennymurphy2000 like this

#67 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:36 AM

The pendulum will always swing back if pushed too far in any one direction.

Whether or not the protestors and 'woke' individuals who support them realize this now, but their actions denying freedoms to those whom they disagree with will eventually lead to less than desired outcomes.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#68 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:37 AM

My philosophy: Moderation in all things.

• Mike K. and pennymurphy2000 like this

#69 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:07 AM

Seems pretty simple to me: It's not 'peaceful' assembly if its violent or if it advocates violence or intolerance!

If protesters are standing around holding signs with non-threatening language and chanting, that's one thing. If they're wearing masks, holding potential weapons, and their signs promote violence... that's not allowed.

• Benezet likes this

#70 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:16 AM

Seems pretty simple to me: It's not 'peaceful' assembly if its violent or if it advocates violence or intolerance!

If protesters are standing around holding signs with non-threatening language and chanting, that's one thing. If they're wearing masks, holding potential weapons, and their signs promote violence... that's not allowed.

Ah yes to the uninitiated that would make sense, but to the truly “Woke” violence can be words, thoughts, opinions, indeed even having white skin can be considered an act of violence. Clearly you need more education

#71 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 12:55 PM

Ah yes to the uninitiated that would make sense, but to the truly “Woke” violence can be words, thoughts, opinions, indeed even having white skin can be considered an act of violence. Clearly you need more education

Welcome to the new world order.... Yellow Vests anyone? 

#72 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:41 PM

The pendulum will always swing back if pushed too far in any one direction.

Whether or not the protestors and 'woke' individuals who support them realize this now, but their actions denying freedoms to those whom they disagree with will eventually lead to less than desired outcomes.

“You will allow us the freedom to be fascists, or else!”

Edited by Benezet, 06 May 2019 - 03:05 PM.

#73 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:17 AM

Apparently you haven't been to Portland lately. 

#74 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:20 AM

“You will allow us the freedom to be fascists, or else!”

Fascists? Really? Not your best post

#75 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 01:15 PM

Fascists? Really? Not your best post

Attempted humour. But thank you for reading it.
  • todd likes this

#76 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,853 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 01:25 PM

#77 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 01:28 PM

I wonder how many of the 51% who voted "No" have actually reviewed the SOGI materials?

#78 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 02:30 PM

screenshot-www.vicnews.com-2019.05.09-17-24-24.png

Give me about three hours I can make those results say whatever you want.

Edited by todd, 09 May 2019 - 02:30 PM.

#79 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 02:31 PM

Give me about three hours I can make those results say whatever you want.

What's your point?  Are you saying someone has tampered with the poll?

#80 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 02:33 PM

Where is the poll even from?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users