APPROVED
Harris Green Village, tower 1
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 900-block of Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 32
Harris Green Village, tower 1 is a proposal for a 32-storey mixed-use purpose-built rental tower with ground f... (view full profile)
Learn more about Harris Green Village, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] Harris Green Village & Harris Victoria Chrysler/Dodge redevelopment | Multi-phased; mixed-use | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
1565 replies to this topic

#241 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:46 AM

This is what I'm talking about. Duffy's piece was pretty well balanced. Yeah, it had some standard "newspaper" elements to it that cater to the masses, but there was nothing false in the piece. I didn't see much unnecessary emphasis (in either way), and there was even a good balance of concern vs support among existing tenants. A good piece overall.

• Rob Randall likes this

#242 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:47 AM

Are you going to rip Mike, too?

I'm game. That patronizing little punk needs to be taken down a peg.

• Mike K., Rob Randall and lanforod like this

#243 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:47 AM

Anyone here who thinks the TC should have concealed the name and hometown of the developer needs to give their head a shake.

• shoeflack likes this

#244 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,175 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:53 AM

Speaking of hometowns, sometimes it can be quite misleading as a local office of the company could be doing all of the heavy lifting but the financing department in Big City stamps the approvals.

In this case Starlight's team is from Vancouver and Toronto.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#245 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:09 AM

...Harris Green neighbourhood will be completely changed if a Toronto-based developer’s plans get the green light...

It makes me long for the good ol' days, like when Victoria-based CP Hotels built the Empress Hotel and hardly anybody noticed if the inner harbour had changed.

This project represents some major change, don't misunderstand me. But it wouldn't completely change the Harris Green neighbourhood any more than the original London Drugs complex did. It would completely change the London Drugs block, and thus impact the Harris Green neighbourhood one way or another.

• Nparker and victorian like this

#246 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:11 AM

Anyone here who thinks the TC should have concealed the name and hometown of the developer needs to give their head a shake.

Who said that? 

In communications it's possible to write an entirely factual article that paints a biased narrative and is designed to illicit outrage. It's about what's included, what's omitted, how it's structured, and the subtext. 

Anyone who thinks that because article was factual means it's neutral should give their head a shake, cuz you've been duped.

TC writes to an audience that's inherently anti-development. That assumption is very thinly veiled in this article, and in most articles they publish about new developments. I'm tired of it...

Edited by SamCB, 05 December 2019 - 10:12 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#247 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:16 AM

When we single out this project for its sheer size I feel like we're pretending View Towers, Regents Park, the Y-Lot, Bayview, Dockside Green, the Songhees, the Hudson District, Uptown etc. don't exist.

#248 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,175 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:18 AM

When we single out this project for its sheer size I feel like we're pretending View Towers, Regents Park, the Y-Lot, Bayview, Dockside Green, the Songhees, the Hudson District, Uptown etc. don't exist.

Let's add Colwood Corners, Royal Bay, Westhills' 'downtown' and Belmont into the fray.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#249 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:19 AM

...every such project has to be shaped as the massive project...

This is what I'm saying.

I take back what I said about you. You're alright.

#250 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,175 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:21 AM

Don't ever let them tell you you're not human.

I'm proud of my creation.*

*aastra and I have been accused of being one and the same, controlled by one of us. I think it's clear now the AI is doing a great job on its own.

Know it all.

#251 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:25 AM

Who said that? 

In communications it's possible to write an entirely factual article that paints a biased narrative and is designed to illicit outrage. It's about what's included, what's omitted, how it's structured, and the subtext. 

Anyone who thinks that because article was factual means it's neutral should give their head a shake, cuz you've been duped.

TC writes to an audience that's inherently anti-development. That assumption is very thinly veiled in this article, and in most articles they publish about new developments. I'm tired of it...

The first thing they teach you in journalism school is the 5 Ws, and the first on that list is "Who". The phrase "Toronto-based" should be in the first paragraph. I don't understand the purpose of down-playing this fact.

And they're proposing over a million square feet of rentals in towers that could top 24 storeys. That is massive by any measure.

• shoeflack likes this

#252 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:27 AM

Yes, I know there's a long list of similar sized projects in the region. In the Harris Green context this still stands out. It's unique in that regard, especially since we all assumed the tower/park form of neighbouring Regents Park was all but extinct.

• shoeflack likes this

#253 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:34 AM

Agreed. Some of those other noted projects are on larger parcels with far less total square footage.

I don't think we've seen as densely massive a project as this...maybe ever? This has to big the largest project in Victoria ever when looking at the ratio of the size of the lot to the total square footage of usable space, no?

#254 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:41 AM

...And they're proposing over a million square feet of rentals in towers that could top 24 storeys. That is massive by any measure.

Not in Manhattan or Hong Kong or dozens of other cities.

#255 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:44 AM

...we all assumed the tower/park form of neighbouring Regents Park was all but extinct.

I am not sure I'd call this the same tower/park form as Regents. In the latter, the "park" space is for the exclusive use of the residents. At Harris Green the "park" will be public space.

• victorian likes this

#256 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:21 AM

The first thing they teach you in journalism school is the 5 Ws, and the first on that list is "Who". The phrase "Toronto-based" should be in the first paragraph. I don't understand the purpose of down-playing this fact.

And they're proposing over a million square feet of rentals in towers that could top 24 storeys. That is massive by any measure.

What's omitted is far more interesting. Why didn't they include Franc D'Ambrosio's name with essential 'Who' info in the first para? Because they're painting a picture of big TO developers coming in to tear down paradise.

1500 new rental units is a massive addition to the rental landscape. How does that compare to other projects? Genuine question- maybe MikeK can answer. Is this one of the biggest purpose built rental proposals we've ever had? That info would be in the first couple paragraphs if this wasn't a faux-outrage piece. 

#257 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:22 AM

Just search news coverage for "Toronto-based developer" or whatever. It's a relevant detail. However, the prominence and specificity of the reference will range widely in media coverage depending on the city and the nature of the development. If a Toronto-based developer is doing some big project in a US city, the reporters will likely refer to them as merely being Canadian, because they deem the Canadian city to be of no relevance to their readership. If a Toronto-based developer is doing some controversial project in a Canadian city then the Toronto factor will be more prominent because Canadian media coverage is always pushing that "Canadians have strong feelings about Toronto" shtick.

The StarPhoenix
January 26, 2013

A prime 1.4-acre piece of real estate at River Landing has been sold for $4.13 million to a Victoria,
B.C.,-based developer specializing in posh condominiums and resorts.

River Landing Parcel A, which is a temporary parking lot, lies west of the Saskatoon Farmers' Market building. It is on 19th Street West bordered by avenues B and C.

The parcel sold after a public tender process closed Thursday evening, City of Saskatoon officials said, exceeding the minimum re-serve price of $3.97 million for the property.

The land was bought by Chris LeFevre of LeFevre & Co., which is based in Victoria. It has developed properties in Victoria and various resorts in B.C. LeFevre's was the only bid received.

#258 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,175 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:23 AM

I don't think we've seen as densely massive a project as this...maybe ever? This has to big the largest project in Victoria ever when looking at the ratio of the size of the lot to the total square footage of usable space, no?

For residential density I can't recall, but the Belmont Building has a density at or near 8:1.

Know it all.

#259 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:24 AM

Not in Manhattan or Hong Kong or dozens of other cities.

Seriously? News flash: Manhattan Larger Than Harris Green, Experts Say

I am not sure I'd call this the same tower/park form as Regents. In the latter, the "park" space is for the exclusive use of the residents. At Harris Green the "park" will be public space.

I'm thinking form rather than the fine details of the legal status of the public access to the property. That back in the 80s the "tower in a park", which was the bee's knees back then.  Then the HG guidelines came out in the 90s and everyone was all about max wall-to-wall Euro density and under ten storeys. Now it seems we're back to the tower/park style.

#260 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:25 AM

The Victoria News could really use a proofreader and fact checker.

...The building at 1045 Yates St., currently occupied by the Harris Victoria Chrusler Dodge Jeep Ram car lot, would host a 17-storey building, with a 15-storey podium. Two buildings would be stationed at the 900 Yates St. address, presently where London Drugs is, with 25 and 22 storeys and a 19-storey podium...

https://www.vicnews....ia-development/

Also, I am not sure I have heard the term "stationed" used in this context before.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users