APPROVED
Harris Green Village, tower 1
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 900-block of Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 32
Harris Green Village, tower 1 is a proposal for a 32-storey mixed-use purpose-built rental tower with ground f... (view full profile)
Learn more about Harris Green Village, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] Harris Green Village & Harris Victoria Chrysler/Dodge redevelopment | Multi-phased; mixed-use | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
1571 replies to this topic

#281 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:47 AM

^It's all academic for someone living miles away from the city. But as a former neighbour I can attest to the importance of that block for your day to day needs. It will be disruptive. Yes, it will sort itself out and in ten years we'll wonder what the fuss was about.

But any fears about temporary disruption to the neighbourhood fabric is neither here nor there. It's no reason to stop the development. 

The alternative is to wait until it decays into irrelevance like University Heights.

• victorian likes this

#282 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:54 AM

I think people need to understand that cities are not static places and they are never "finished". There will always be change and yes there will be inconveniences and disruptions to accommodate this. Ideally, a better community results from these changes. If urban residents cannot learn to live with change, then perhaps moving out of a city's downtown core to a small, more isolated community should be considered.

• DavidSchell and victorian like this

#283 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:55 AM

In my experience the thing that has the biggest impact on personal routine is when your neighbourhood grocery store disappears and there's no alternative in the immediate vicinity (within realistic walking distance). Like when Safeway on Quadra turned into the Brick, for example. But in today's downtown there's a new Save-on Foods right there, and some other options as well.

• DavidSchell likes this

#284 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:57 AM

But anyway, you end up realizing that the change you were dreading was the spice of life.

Edited by aastra, 06 December 2019 - 09:58 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#285 Marilyn

Marilyn
  • 374 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 07:19 PM

"It's not as if the east side of downtown was farmland prior to the 1980s. All of those empty lots and parking lots used to be occupied by something. Nobody really cared when those businesses, homes, and other establishments were wiped out, so why should anybody be especially concerned now?  There's just nothing unprecedented about this sort of turnover, is my point."

Your comment made me wonder just how common it is to demolish an entire block in a neighbourhood? (This is not downtown, it's Harris Green neighbourhood.)

I live on Yates very close to Quadra so it will happen almost beside my building. It's overwhelming as you can imagine. I thank this site for the opportunity to express my reaction to this.

I'm not moving so I will have to adapt like all my neighbours who are also staying while being overwhelmed.  

• Mike K. likes this

#286 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 08:19 PM

(This is not downtown, it's Harris Green neighbourhood.)

Harris Green west of Cook is one and the same with downtown. High density, noisy, busy...only difference is maybe a little extra grass and a lot fewer tourists. Just because it's branded differently doesn't mean it is so in practice.

I'm also a resident of this "downtown" part of Harris Green, and as much as you get the downside of constant construction, you certainly get the added benefit of a skyrocketing property value and a constantly vibrant neighbourhood.

It's all for the greater good. Inconveniences happen. Change happens. Benefits happen.

• Nparker and victorian like this

#287 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 08:20 PM

I think people need to understand that cities are not static places and they are never "finished". There will always be change and yes there will be inconveniences and disruptions to accommodate this. Ideally, a better community results from these changes. If urban residents cannot learn to live with change, then perhaps moving out of a city's downtown core to a small, more isolated community should be considered.

Except when it comes to bike lanes, apparently.

#288 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 08:21 PM

Your comment made me wonder just how common it is to demolish an entire block in a neighbourhood? (This is not downtown, it's Harris Green neighbourhood.

There are probably many examples but most of those were mixtures of vacant lots and unloved old buildings like autobody shops. Eaton Centre is the only example I can think of where a fully viable block was wiped out for redevelopment.

#289 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 08:24 PM

There are probably many examples but most of those were mixtures of vacant lots and unloved old buildings like autobody shops. Eaton Centre is the only example I can think of where a fully viable block was wiped out for redevelopment.

*two blocks

• aastra and Rob Randall like this

#290 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 08:57 PM

Your comment made me wonder just how common it is to demolish an entire block in a neighbourhood? (This is not downtown, it's Harris Green neighbourhood.

Blanshard-Rose project involved wiping out a dense old neighbourhood of ~150 houses and the displacement of hundreds of people. But it was for good redevelopment (street extension and widening, new elementary school and green space, public housing).

Daily Colonist
May 11, 1966

There is little doubt that Victoria's first major urban renewal scheme will get the green light.

...the project will transform 30 depressed acres in the heart of the Blanshard-Rose-Hillside section to a spacious, landscaped development...

Daily Colonist
October 2, 1963

The arterial road link was built... to ensure that traffic generated by the Mayfair shopping centre, which opens its doors in two weeks, can easily get downtown.

Centennial Square involved wiping out a block, and I'd say that area was no less a downtown neighbourhood for its day than Harris Green is a downtown neighbourhood for today.

How about the HBC department store's expansion and subsequent parkade? Houses were wiped out for that.

The "Humboldt Valley" area and the Bridge Street area were old neighbourhoods that were gradually wiped out, rather than in one fell swoop. Although in the case of the Y-lot property the wipeout may have been more sudden than I suppose. Remember that old news item about the formerly luxurious 1910s Savoy Mansions getting demolished for Blanshard Street realignment?

#291 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:04 PM

Blanshard-Rose, all gone:

Blanshard-Rose_VintageAirPhotos-bo-47-1457.jpg

pic from http://vintageairpho...com/bo-47-1457/

"Humboldt Valley", all gone:

South_Downtown_VintageAirPhotos-1-66.jpg

pic from http://vintageairphotos.com/1-66/

Edited by aastra, 06 December 2019 - 09:08 PM.

#292 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:15 PM

^I was thinking more urban but yes, those are good suburban examples. Saanich's Rutledge Park at Cloverdale and Inverness is the most modern blockbuster.

#293 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:17 PM

The block now occupied by the Richard Blanshard Building also comes to mind. Boy, the name "Blanshard" was all over these wipeouts.

#294 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:19 PM

...I live on Yates very close to Quadra so it will happen almost beside my building. It's overwhelming as you can imagine...

I am going to guess that you probably live in either the Manhattan or the Wave, neither of which sprung up overnight fully formed. The construction of both of these buildings more than likely caused inconveniences to those living, working and shopping nearby. The fact is your existing neighbourhood has changed considerably in the not-so-distant past. While I don't mean to downplay your concern, the redevelopment of the Harris Green Village and Harris car dealership will ultimately be very beneficial to you and other residents of the CoV.

• DavidSchell likes this

#295 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:31 PM

Something else to consider:

the London Drugs shopping centre paved the way for new condo buildings like Regents Park, the Manhattan, the Metropolitan, etc.,

which in turn paved the way for more new condo buildings like the Wave, 860 View, 834 Johnson, Legato and 989 Johnson,

which in turn are paving the way for the redevelopment of the London Drugs shopping centre.

Does it make sense to try and isolate any one stage of this process as if were something abnormal or exceptional? All of these things are related and further one another.

• Nparker, shoeflack and victorian like this

#296 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 07:59 AM

I do get that this is the heart of the community right now because it has two of the most important stores for those living near by but a well phased development plan should mitigate most of the concern. I would assume that the dodge lot will be redeveloped first and then maybe the MOY lot and the LD parcel last. We are talking like 2028 before it is done if it is super efficient. Given the City's track record (looking at you Northern Junk!) I think this will be ongoing long into the 2030s.
  • Nparker and Marilyn like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#297 tiger11

tiger11
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 09:20 AM

The block now occupied by the Richard Blanshard Building also comes to mind. Boy, the name "Blanshard" was all over these wipeouts.

On another note does anyone know when Blanchard Street change from Blanchard Street?

#298 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 10:12 AM

On another note does anyone know when Blanchard Street change from Blanchard Street?

That's a very subtle change; virtually imperceptible.  ;)

• aastra likes this

#299 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 December 2019 - 10:37 AM

Love all the Facebook comment hate towards this project.

I totally don't understand wtf is going on.....everyone is b***ing that we need more housing, then someone proposes a ton of housing like this project, but wait....now we don't want this housing too much disruption. People need to make up their mind.

• aastra and Nparker like this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#300 todalmeldown

todalmeldown
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 10:54 AM

I'm really excited for this project personally. Downtown Victoria could benefit from more density IMO.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users