APPROVED
Harris Green Village, tower 1
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 900-block of Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 32
Harris Green Village, tower 1 is a proposal for a 32-storey mixed-use purpose-built rental tower with ground f... (view full profile)
Learn more about Harris Green Village, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] Harris Green Village & Harris Victoria Chrysler/Dodge redevelopment | Multi-phased; mixed-use | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
1571 replies to this topic

#321 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 07:42 PM

All true. The map is somewhat misleading in that it makes it look like HG is a distinct neighbourhood on par with Burnside, Fairfield, etc.

It is unique in that it is part of the formal Downtown boundary. A long time ago there was a HG residents association but it was very small and couldn't survive. As far as City Hall is concerned all of HG is officially Downtown. 

But it has a distinct eclectic character that I think should be preserved and enhanced. 

#322 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 06:29 AM

The Atrium is in HG, no?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#323 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:00 AM

Atrium is just outside the HG boundary. 

#324 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:01 AM

Interesting, so it juts east along that block, while the Telus building behind it is within HG.

Black and White is within Fairfield, while the former Downtown Auto mechanic shop (now a Speedy Auto Glass) at Chatham and Government was in Burnside-Gorge (aka Rock Bay in the map on the previous page) and Mark's Work Warehouse is still in 'downtown Victoria.'

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#325 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:08 AM

I'm really excited for this project personally. Downtown Victoria could benefit from more density IMO.

Welcome to VV!

Know it all.

#326 Banksy

Banksy
  • 156 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:36 AM

I was hoping the developer would set aside one tower for condos but that is not to be. Jukebox will feel like a screaming deal once this gets going.

Edited by Banksy, 09 December 2019 - 07:36 AM.

#327 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:26 AM

I was hoping the developer would set aside one tower for condos but that is not to be. Jukebox will feel like a screaming deal once this gets going.

Well there's going to be a condo component to the Mazda Lot development as well as to Cook Street Plaza (replacing the strip mall where Panago Pizza and Laundro Lounge are currently), so if you're looking for a condo pre-sale in the near future there will be other opportunities in the downtown area.  Hudson Place 2 will likely  start construction in 2020 as well..

#328 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:33 AM

It’s looking like HP2 will be rentals. Good points about the Mazda and Yates Street Plaza projects. My thinking is YSP (Chard) will be out of the gate much, much faster than the condo components of the Mazda towers.
  • Kapten Kapsell likes this

Know it all.

#329 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:41 AM

We moved here because of proximity to Harris Green. Now it's slated to disappear. 

You may find it "exciting" waiting for the dynamiting. Underground parking of 2 - 4 floors? that's a deep hole to dynamite. Then there will be the dump trucks taking away the rubble. That's not my idea of exciting.10 more years of construction on both sides of Yates Street is overkill, it's too much all at once but Toronto developers need their profits.

Starlight is the only Toronto-based developer working in the Yates Street corridor; Vancouver-based Chard built Yellow on Yates and is working on the Yates on Yates (and will soon build Cook Street Plaza at Yates/Cook), while Victoria-based Alpha recently completed the Legato.  Victoria-based Jawl Residential is going to be redeveloping the Mazda lot in the coming years too.  I just wanted to call out the fact that BC developers are definitely active in this zone!

Also, in terms of profits, the fact that these buildings will be all-rental means that it will take years-or even decades- for the buildings to reach a 'break even' point.  So, while this development will eventually be profitable, they're definitely not looking for a quick buck...

• Nparker likes this

#330 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:46 AM

^ I doubt that these are long term develop and hold projects. The properties will be built and then flipped. Nothing wrong with that, that is what developers do.

• Marilyn likes this

#331 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:17 AM

^ I doubt that these are long term develop and hold projects. The properties will be built and then flipped. Nothing wrong with that, that is what developers do.

I think that Starlight is generally a develop-and-hold builder based on their existing portfolio, unlike Chard (which flipped Yello)...

• DavidSchell likes this

#332 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 01:08 PM

Developers flip “to” Starlight, not the other way around.
  • DavidSchell likes this

Know it all.

#333 Marilyn

Marilyn
  • 374 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 11:35 AM

I think that Starlight is generally a develop-and-hold builder based on their existing portfolio, unlike Chard (which flipped Yello)...

Starlight is a billion $ investment company, not really a "builder." Check how the company treated the residents of Michigan St. in James Bay.

• johnk likes this

#334 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 04:04 PM

The treatment of the residents may have been horrible. But the two big towers on Michigan look so much better now. I'm sure they rent out for much more than they used to. Sorry if people got screwed. It's an awesome location.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#335 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 04:12 PM

...It's an awesome location.

And that's the thing; people were paying a comparative pittance for the location.

#336 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 10:06 PM

Starlight is a billion $ investment company, not really a "builder." Check how the company treated the residents of Michigan St. in James Bay.

Starlight featured prominently in a Globe & Mail story about heating up demand for rental housing. Saturday Nov 24 in the Biz section. They have deep pockets.

#337 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:13 AM

Starlight is absolutely a builder. They have two arms to the company, Starlight Investments and Starlight Developments. Starlight Developments is behind Harris Green.

Know it all.

#338 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,600 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 09:29 PM

Looking forward to whatever Starlight can do because...realistically.....that whole block with the LD and the MOY (much as I like and patronize both businesses) is badly in need of a drastic face-lift. To say its stale and terribly dated is an insult to stale and terribly dated things. It screams '1980's', and not at all in a good way. And right from Day 1 it just killed the View Street side of that entire block which has all the life and vibrancy of the far side of the moon. 

• Nparker and SamCB like this

#339 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 09:14 AM

That is so true of View Street. Deadsville. That could change pretty dramatically ASE. With talk of a new development where the bottle dept was, and a redevelopment of the London Drugs site, pretty sure View will pick up a lot.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#340 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 12 December 2019 - 09:34 AM

Can someone tell me if these other buildings in the block are included in the redevelopment? (Buildings labeled 1-4 in this pic)

jy1HHpz.png

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users