APPROVED
Harris Green Village, tower 1
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 900-block of Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 32
Harris Green Village, tower 1 is a proposal for a 32-storey mixed-use purpose-built rental tower with ground f... (view full profile)
Learn more about Harris Green Village, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] Harris Green Village & Harris Victoria Chrysler/Dodge redevelopment | Multi-phased; mixed-use | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
1565 replies to this topic

#361 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 01:33 PM

Most people do own a house, though.

70% of homes in Saanich are owned. 30% are rentals.

Renters make up a majority of households in the City of Victoria though; I think the percentage of households that rent might be around 60%.  But I think that Saanich might match the percentage of homeowners nationally (70%).

#362 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 01:35 PM

Somewhere buried in these threads there's a quote from the 1890s or early 1900s where the writer talked of Victoria real estate holdings growing in value by (I think it was) a few hundred percent over just a few years, and how such increases were evidence that the real estate market was solid and there was no speculative bubble, because a speculative bubble would involve much larger gains than that.

Anyway, I can't find it. My point is, real estate in Victoria was always something that you expected to make money on. Today we want to suppose that our parents, grandparents, great grandparents etc. never had to deal with big changes re: housing, population growth, etc. It's another one of those revisionist things. Change in today's Victoria tends to be very gradual, but we like to portray it as extreme and unprecedented. Change in today's Victoria pales in comparison to the major changes that Victorians took for granted in the 1960s/1970s. The dramatic changes of the late 19th and early 20th centuries are in an altogether different league.

By 1891 the city had tripled  in size, with real estate values climbing from $2,749,075 to $17,700,000 during the ten year period.

http://parkscanadahi...s/mrs/354-1.pdf

The average house price jumped from ~$10,000 to ~$70,000 in less than ten years during the 1960s/1970s:

https://www.vreb.org...cs/GRAA2010.pdf

Ideally we'd have 50s or 60s style building booms keeping costs down.

For the record I have a house and I like the appreciation on a greedy personal level

Our ordinary working class parents or grandparents or great grandparents bought houses for a few thousand (or even a few hundred) dollars and eventually sold them for tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands. Never once did I ever hear any of them depict themselves as being greedy for doing it. To make a significant gain over time was merely their straightforward expectation as straightforward people. "Real estate never goes down," as we've heard so many times.

(not arguing, just throwing stuff out there)

Edited by aastra, 31 January 2020 - 01:37 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#363 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 01:37 PM

Renters make up a majority of households in the City of Victoria though; I think the percentage of households that rent might be around 60%. But I think that Saanich might match the percentage of homeowners nationally (70%).

Stats Can’s data shows 60% of dwellings are owner occupied. 70% in Saanich. It’s even higher in Langford, closer to 80%.
  • Kapten Kapsell likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#364 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 01:38 PM

Oops, 70% ownership in Langford.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#365 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 01:39 PM

74% own their dwelling in Colwood.

Know it all.

#366 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 01:40 PM

78% in Metchosin.

Know it all.

#367 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 01:50 PM

CoV:

Times-Colonist
September 19, 2018

Victoria remains a city of renters, and No. 2 on the list of Canadian cities with the fewest homeowners, according to numbers from Statistics Canada.

From day one of the modern housing crisis narrative the point has been made that people should tone down their expectation to be homeowners. Great, so Victorians don't need to change anything then, right? Because Victoria has always been more focused on renting than other Canadian cities. Is it a problem or isn't it? Maybe it's just the way Victoria is?

#368 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 31 January 2020 - 01:54 PM

Not everyone living in a an owner occupied house is an owner.   It means actual owners are a minority.   

#369 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 02:23 PM

Now that’s being silly. The point is the majority of people live in a home where they are not renting. Yeah, you’ve got cases where a sister might live with a brother and his family, and he owns the home, but that’s an exception.

I know the narrative is “nobody can buy a home in Victoria” but thousands of people do every year.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#370 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 31 January 2020 - 02:30 PM

The non-owners do not have personal financial stake in the rise or fall of the house value

#371 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,171 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 January 2020 - 03:47 PM

The non-owners do not have personal financial stake in the rise or fall of the house value

Wanna bet? :) 

My kids certainly have a financial stake if the house value implodes. Sorry kiddo, no inheritance for you, go straight to work, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

• Nparker likes this

#372 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 03:52 PM

...My kids certainly have a financial stake if the house value implodes...

I have a niece and nephew who probably feel much the same about the value of their childless uncle's condo.

#373 Biro

Biro
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 07:04 PM

Heard through the grape vine that a request for proposal was issued (engineering).
  • Mike K. likes this

#374 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 07:37 PM

Starlight has applied for development permits for Phase 1 (at Harris Chrysler site / 1045 Yates).

Plans call for a 17 and 19 storey tower and a large podium. There will be 510 units in this phase and 460 parking stalls.

Updated rendering:

67FCB68D-2D5B-4E44-A481-7B8FB7302D87.jpeg

Additional images:

5FD89DB4-608D-42B6-A101-BE897A80974B.jpeg

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 17 June 2020 - 07:44 PM.

• Nparker, gstc84, Jackerbie and 2 others like this

#375 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 01:24 PM

I like that, except for the asymmetrical balconies.

#376 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 01:35 PM

I like that, except for the asymmetrical balconies.

Don't worry, those will likely be scrapped in favour of a more HP-2 aesthetic.

#377 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 02:14 PM

It seems to be a decent project, I don't think anyone can accuse them of mailing it in. It doesn't closely resemble any other project in town that I can think of.

Do we know what that coloured cladding would be on the podium levels? I hope that's not just painted concrete. If we're going to be using panel cladding like crazy now then I'll always feel better about it if the panels have some personality (as they do on Jukebox or Escher, for example). It's hard to tell if the lighting in those images is making that stuff look better than it might actually be.

However, unless my eyes deceive me there will be a fair bit of plain-looking spandrel on the towers and on the podium, too.

When renderings make no effort to disguise the spandrel I'm not sure if we should be alarmed or reassured.

#378 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 02:16 PM

It seems to be a decent project, I don't think anyone can accuse them of mailing it in. It doesn't closely resemble any other project in town that I can think of.

Do we know what that coloured cladding would be on the podium levels? I hope that's not just painted concrete. If we're going to be using panel cladding like crazy now then I'll always feel better about it if the panels have some personality (as they do on Jukebox or Escher, for example). It's hard to tell if the lighting in those images is making that stuff look better than it might actually be.

However, unless my eyes deceive me there will be a fair bit of plain-looking spandrel on the towers and on the podium, too.

When renderings make no effort to disguise the spandrel I'm not sure if we should be alarmed or reassured.

Plans are up on dev tracker and should contain the details about the cladding.

Note that this project may not require a rezoning as they have simply applied for development permits ....

• Nparker likes this

#379 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 02:17 PM

So the first image is Yates, the second image is Cook, and the third image is View Street? Something about the third image is not computing for me.

#380 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 02:26 PM

So the first image is Yates, the second image is Cook, and the third image is View Street? Something about the third image is not computing for me.

The third image is View Street (looking north) and includes townhouses at street level...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users