APPROVED
Harris Green Village, tower 1
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 900-block of Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 32
Harris Green Village, tower 1 is a proposal for a 32-storey mixed-use purpose-built rental tower with ground f... (view full profile)
Learn more about Harris Green Village, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] Harris Green Village & Harris Victoria Chrysler/Dodge redevelopment | Multi-phased; mixed-use | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
1571 replies to this topic

#381 Promontory Kingpin

Promontory Kingpin
  • 230 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 02:38 PM

Will this development be condos? Or will it be rentals similar to what they have proposed on the London Drugs/MoY lot

#382 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 02:49 PM

Will this development be condos? Or will it be rentals similar to what they have proposed on the London Drugs/MoY lot

All rentals...

#383 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 02:54 PM

...unless my eyes deceive me there will be a fair bit of plain-looking spandrel on the towers and on the podium, too....

Better "plain-looking spandrel" than the gunmetal grey panels that adorn far too many surfaces at Yates-on-Yates and Vivid.

#384 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 03:22 PM

- Brown Aluminum Panel

- Gray Aluminum Window Wall (with Clear Glass & Gray Spandrel)

- Gray Aluminum Window Wall (with Clear Glass)

There's also a reference to Wood toned metal panel, but unless my youthful eyes deceive me it seems to be used sparingly, as per the elevations in the document.

Anyway, it seems pretty good. The podium is urban-format and shows some variation as you navigate around the different sides (this podium will have a pretty big footprint, so you don't want it to be one monotonous thing all around). And I like the non-rectangular forms of the towers themselves.

• Nparker likes this

#385 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 05:32 PM

83190282_259451995280624_366858854315443

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#386 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 05:39 PM

It's a shame the HG project isn't superimposed on a more recent aerial photo of downtown. It would place it in more accurate context.

#387 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 05:51 PM

Also has it been noted on this thread that one of the retail units is 20,000 square feet? That's fairly large and I'm curious what might move in there. Any chance Market on Yates could move ahead of the demolition of Harris Green Village?

#388 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 05:55 PM

...Any chance Market on Yates could move ahead of the demolition of Harris Green Village?

If I had to guess, I'd say that was almost guaranteed.

#389 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 June 2020 - 06:50 PM

There's also a reference to Wood toned metal panel, but unless my youthful eyes deceive me it seems to be used sparingly, as per the elevations in the document.

I haven't looked at the drawing package yet but my assumption is that the wood tone panels are the balcony soffits. That would be very on trend.

#390 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 07:35 PM

Maybe London Drugs itself would move in here temporarily while the other site is being worked on?

I'm still thinking it would be better if one of the faces of the podium was completely different from the others: the View Street side or the west side. Consider Aria, which seems like a completely different building from the bowling green as versus along Humboldt street; or Shutters, which has that long curving facade on the harbour side but a tiny set of rectangular townhomes on the back side; or the Hudson, with the new apartments on the carriageway side that look and feel so different from the other three faces of the department store building. I think every one of those wouldn't be nearly so good if the same vibe had been repeated all the way around.

#391 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 08:01 PM

Is that 30-storeys I see in the tallest tower?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#392 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 08:15 PM

Propose 30, hope for 25, get 22.

#393 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 11:34 PM

My sightline to the View Towers would be obstructed, this is unacceptable. 

#394 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 07:35 AM

^I was wondering who was living in that hot air balloon over Fernwood area.

#395 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 03:55 PM

Re: that overhead image, is anybody thinking the podium would be better if it were shorter all around?

• Nparker likes this

#396 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 04:08 PM

I think if the towers could be a bit taller and the podium could be about 1, maybe 2, storeys shorter while still maintaining the same unit count, then yeah, I think it probably would look a bit better. Ultimately though, I really wish the podium was more varied and didn't appear as one giant block. The Cook Street side is definitely the best side as its height varies.

The Regent Towers are going to look very out of place between the phases of this development. They'll be a weird break in the urban fabric of Yates Street.

• Nparker likes this

#397 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 04:25 PM

The Regent strata could always decide to dissolve itself and sell the land to a developer if 80% of owners vote in favour... considering that the strata has never been rainscreened (coupled with the overall rise in insurance premiums) it wouldn’t be out of the question in the next 3-5 years).

#398 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 04:26 PM

...The Regent Towers are going to look very out of place between the phases of this development. They'll be a weird break in the urban fabric of Yates Street.

Their suburban lawn/garden aesthetic has always been out of place, it's just going to be a lot more noticeable now.

#399 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 04:53 PM

I've criticized Regents Park many times over the years, but now that projects like 1030 Yates and Jukebox and Legato and etc. have happened all around it, I don't mind it being the way it is (the landscaping and the more suburban format, I mean -- the surface parking I can do without).

#400 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 09:58 PM

The Regent strata could always decide to dissolve itself and sell the land to a developer if 80% of owners vote in favour... considering that the strata has never been rainscreened (coupled with the overall rise in insurance premiums) it wouldn’t be out of the question in the next 3-5 years).

Those towers were built in the 90's, no? Would be very unusual to call it quits on steel-and-concrete buildings younger than the vast majority of the population.

• newbie_01 likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users