APPROVED
Harris Green Village, tower 1
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 900-block of Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 32
Harris Green Village, tower 1 is a proposal for a 32-storey mixed-use purpose-built rental tower with ground f... (view full profile)
Learn more about Harris Green Village, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] Harris Green Village & Harris Victoria Chrysler/Dodge redevelopment | Multi-phased; mixed-use | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
1571 replies to this topic

#721 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 07:04 AM

So did the re-submitted version of this with the 32 story tower get approved?...

Nothing has been approved yet. The project has been forwarded to a public hearing.

#722 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 07:10 AM

So did the re-submitted version of this with the 32 story tower get approved? I lost track of which version it was on because it seemed like it changed a few times.

If so, I assume that will be Victoria's new tallest tower?

The 32-storey tower is still in play. I don’t know when they’ll be scheduling the public hearing but we’re quickly running out of time for this year, so I assume we’ll have a date real soon.

Both the 32 and 29-storey towers appear as though they’ll stand as the City’s tallest.
  • Nparker and DavidSchell like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#723 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 08:25 AM

We all know how badly the region needs more rental housing. This project, while it's not going to satisfy everyone, does provide a good mix of location, rental housing, retail, and public amenities. It shouldn't be hard to approve.

Does anyone actually keep track of "below market" or "affordable" rentals outside of BC Housing? Seems to me that we have had all of these "affordable" units built over the past few years but it has had not impact on pricing and nobody I know ever seems to get one. Public amenities are the other thing I have issue with. They get built and then 6 months later they are closed off to the public and only residents get to use them!

#724 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 01:00 PM

On today's information session Zoom:

- Market On Yates moving to Cook & Yates (1045 Yates/Phase 1)

- New traffic lights being installed to Cook & View

- EV charging stations 2 to begin with & wiring being put in to accomodate up to 80 in future

- Phase 1 (1045 Yates) should be shovels in ground late Q1

• Nparker and corvus like this

#725 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 01:06 PM

Has this project been approved to proceed?

#726 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 05:29 PM

It hasn't gone to public hearing yet.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#727 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 06:15 PM

That's what I thought. So how can anyone claim that phase 1 should be shovels in ground late Q1

#728 ventilatte

ventilatte
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 06:55 PM

That's what I thought. So how can anyone claim that phase 1 should be shovels in ground late Q1

Because public hearings don't actually matter. The Local Government Act says that they must be held and people must be given a chance to voice their opinions, but it's not a vote. If there is a really negative opinion Council could decide not to go ahead out of fear of backlash, but technically even if 100% of the people that attend are opposed it wouldn't matter.

#729 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 08:04 PM

You take your bets and plan accordingly. There’s no time to sit around and wait when the industry is this busy.
  • corvus likes this

Know it all.

#730 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 10:54 PM

And just to clarify, this would be for the demolition and excavation portion of the development.

Know it all.

#731 victorian

victorian
  • 47 posts
  • LocationHarris Green

Posted 15 December 2021 - 03:38 PM

- Market On Yates moving to Cook & Yates (1045 Yates/Phase 1)

Good to hear, although I imagine that that's where they'll stay instead of moving back to the 900 block.

Edited by victorian, 15 December 2021 - 03:39 PM.

#732 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 10 February 2022 - 09:38 AM

Ten-on-the-10th-Feb-2022b.jpg

Andrew Browne, Senior Development Manager for Starlight Developments, discusses the company's Harris Green Village proposal destined for two blocks in downtown Victoria, Starlight's additional development efforts on southern Vancouver Island, and the rental industry post-COVID.

Q&A on downtown Victoria's largest rental development, and more, with Andrew Browne of Starlight Developments

https://victoria.cit...t-developments/

Know it all.

#733 yellow_baron

yellow_baron
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 10:39 AM

"The community will include over 1,500 new purpose-built rental homes, nearly half an acre of green space including a first for Victoria, a privately-owned park with an accessible and inclusive play area, and a 10,000 square-foot indoor community space that will be programmed in partnership with the City of Victoria. We are looking to create a place where people will live with their daily needs close-by, and a great destination for Victorians to visit."

The public amenity seems tiny in relation to the overall project...

#734 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 11:00 AM

...The public amenity seems tiny in relation to the overall project...

It's more public amenities than the sites currently offer.

• yellow_baron likes this

#735 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 12:25 PM

The main amenity for the city is the huge amount of people that will live there and make downtown a better place. Add to that all of the new commercial space to shop at. 

• Nparker and corvus like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#736 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 12:53 PM

It's working out really well for Langford. Victoria has to stop with the calamitous worrying over everything and just build housing. We don't have to take over people's single-family-dwellings and call them racists for living in or supporting that style of housing, there is ample room for significant density on the vastness of under-used sites all over the municipality, and atop its legions of surface parking lots.

It feels like much of what has been accomplished over the last five years in Victoria has been bickering about garden suites and duplexes. None of that is going to make an iota of difference in the grand scheme of things, but projects like Harris Green absolutely will.

1.5 blocks, 1,500 units. Do the math, Victoria.

• Nparker and qv like this

Know it all.

#737 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 01:01 PM

Yes.  Remember all the fuss over 1008 Pandora at Vancouver?   The word did not end, nobody even notices it anymore, except the appreciative grocery shoppers.

#738 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 01:11 PM

And who helped 1008 Pandora get approved? We did. Who lives there now and calls the VV'ers a bunch of backwards anti-urbanists? The new urbanists.

Ain't it grand?  :banana:

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#739 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 08:21 PM

Yes. Remember all the fuss over 1008 Pandora at Vancouver? The word did not end, nobody even notices it anymore, except the appreciative grocery shoppers.

This is an excellent example. I remember that public hearing. I think they had to stretch it into another meeting because there were so many speakers, many of whom were against this project. And now, as you say, nobody even pays attention to the finished building.

#740 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 02:48 AM

Yes.  Remember all the fuss over 1008 Pandora at Vancouver?   The word did not end, nobody even notices it anymore, except the appreciative grocery shoppers.

i'll admit i was concerned about the parking.. but i am pleasantly surprised by it (though the ramp turning up can be a bit tight and they did have to take away a few of the separators due to that) but overall there has always been available parking

• corvus likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)