APPROVED
Harris Green Village, tower 1
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 900-block of Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 32
Harris Green Village, tower 1 is a proposal for a 32-storey mixed-use purpose-built rental tower with ground f... (view full profile)
Learn more about Harris Green Village, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] Harris Green Village & Harris Victoria Chrysler/Dodge redevelopment | Multi-phased; mixed-use | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
1571 replies to this topic

#861 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 12:54 PM

Also, we will see detailed designs for the 900-block once the proposal gets approved, so I think aastra’s concerns will be figured out.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#862 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 01:07 PM

Have some brass bronz or copper terracotta instead of spangled glass

Wouldn't those materials be considerably more expensive?

#863 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 02:18 PM

Wouldn't those materials be considerably more expensive?

I looked at a few sites and non of the really talk about the different costs for different cladding material in relation to curtain walls, but terracotta does come up frequently as another material that can be use instead of spandrel glass. And when I looked up tile vs glass per square foot the came out to be roughly the same price.
  • Nparker likes this

#864 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 02:38 PM

Isn’t the Atrium clad in terra cotta, or something along those lines?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#865 downtownlurker

downtownlurker
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 04:35 PM

What are your thoughts on this frontage design?

Harris-Green-Village-View-Street-facade.jpg

Here is the 1045 Yates component, as seen from View.

hgv-towers-4-and-5-2022-rendering-C.jpg

It always strikes me in these renderings when they stick the existing buildings in via blank boxes and you realize just how much taller, especially the 32 storey one (assuming it's approved) will be (and assuming the scaling is accurate). I am in Yates on Yates (genius name btw) and even when you're on the rooftop, it isn't THAT much taller than Legato and 989 Johnson. It's a shame View Towers is where it is as it will spoil some really great south views for many of the units, let alone already spoils almost every south view of all the buildings in this area.

#866 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 21 December 2022 - 11:20 AM

The snow-covered car lot site by JohnnyJayEh at flickr.com...

Edited by aastra, 21 December 2022 - 11:20 AM.

#867 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 31 December 2022 - 02:48 PM

Another picture of the car lot site by thegreatscaper, but with the snow removed using photoshop.

#868 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 07:56 PM

My article on this project:

https://www.sidewalk...s-green-village

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#869 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 08:11 PM

If the CoV council is serious about dealing with the local housing shortage, then approving the HG Village proposal should be a no-brainer. Fine tuning the design after approval is OK, but since it will likely be at least 3-5 years before anyone moves into even the first phase of this development, further delays are unacceptable.

• G-Man and grantpalin like this

#870 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 08:42 AM

I think between 400 units at 1050 Yates, 120 at wedge, 200+ at cook and Pandora, 200+ at herald street and 116 at Townline Pandora - we’ve got a fairly robust pipeline delivering from next few months to 2026.
Plus 875 rental units on the corner of shelbourne and Mackenzie
Actually 1275 including Nicolas deal!
  • G-Man likes this

#871 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 10:10 AM

Now we have all these extra housing units coming what are we going to do to expand the hospital for all the extra people?

#872 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 11:06 AM

I have full confidence in the public health authorities to manage their responsibilities appropriately. This is, after all, their fundamental responsibility, right? Operating the hospitals?

That is, unless you can think of anything that's happened during the past 60 years that should shake my confidence.

• Nparker and Barrrister like this

#873 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 11:08 AM

Seriously though, normally hospitals would expand to serve a population as it grows. For example, the Jubilee Hospital is now more than twice the size it originally was.

#874 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 09:47 AM

Developer envisions Harris Green reinvigoration as Victoria readies debate on 1,600 rentals

https://www.vicnews....n-1600-rentals/

The Starlight Developments project will have a public hearing on Feb. 9. It looks to add almost 1,600 rental units, of which 80 would meet the city’s affordable standard, ranging from studios to three-bedroom townhomes within a boundary encompassing Yates, View, Quadra and Cook streets.

The biggest worries Starlight has heard are around parking, height and density. While some want more on-site parking and others want less, Dudding said a huge draw was Harris Green being a walkable community that will help lower residents’ reliance on vehicles. But spaces are still being included as the company understands some will still need their cars.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 February 2023 - 09:51 AM.

#875 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 10:05 AM

^ From their public comments at least it sounds as though some on council are dead set against Starlight developing anything in Victoria.

#876 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 10:21 AM

^ From their public comments at least it sounds as though some on council are dead set against Starlight developing anything in Victoria.

Then their cries of a housing crisis are bogus.

#877 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 11:41 AM

Then their cries of a housing crisis are bogus.

After you posted this I listened very carefully, but I didn't hear any shocked gasps. Jaws did not hit the floor.

• Nparker likes this

#878 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 11:43 AM

From their public comments at least it sounds as though some on council are dead set against Starlight developing anything in Victoria.

Victoria city councilors opposed to a large rental development? Has that ever happened before?*

*yes, many, many, many times

#879 corvus

corvus
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 11:51 AM

The usual suspects, or is there some more pointed hypocrisy?

#880 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 11:52 AM

It's hard for me to see this not being approved with this more pro development council, and the recent news from the province moving towards more work from home and thus fewer people coming into downtown to support businesses.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users