APPROVED
Harris Green Village, tower 1
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 900-block of Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 32
Harris Green Village, tower 1 is a proposal for a 32-storey mixed-use purpose-built rental tower with ground f... (view full profile)
Learn more about Harris Green Village, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] Harris Green Village & Harris Victoria Chrysler/Dodge redevelopment | Multi-phased; mixed-use | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
1565 replies to this topic

#1381 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 01:05 PM

interesting thought.
the stark contrast at the table is worrying... naked ambition + religious zeal vs. independents who (mostly) are sticking their fingers in the dyke...

I don't share the view that Mayor Alto is benign, or pragmatic. I think she's smarter, and more cunning than Helps, much worse, with more zeal for her religion. She appears more benign by design, by carefully gauging the risk-reward of hiding her contributions and decisions.

Alto would never get a private sector job, that’s for sure.

#1382 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 01:05 PM

speaking of taxpayer subsidies, and it's not a lot of money as one example...(among many)
Can someone tell me what we're getting for the SIPP money, for 8 years now?
Nice people, but "nice people" isn't really a job.

Nothing, it was just a concept to fleece the taxpayers.
  • Nparker likes this

#1383 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 01:08 PM

speaking of taxpayer subsidies, and it's not a lot of money as one example...(among many)
Can someone tell me what we're getting for the SIPP money, for 8 years now?
Nice people, but "nice people" isn't really a job.

Nothing.

And even they say that their output could be immeasurable over long periods of time.

It’s just another mechanism through which government dollars are put towards some ideas that politicians may not want to directly put money towards, I guess? They rarely pay for themselves in terms of their social or economic output but every once in a while they can catch a giant fish (government dollars).

SIPP is adrift with no means or mechanisms to do anything monumental. Langford famously refused to pay into it, and Sooke only started just before COVID, I think?

But yes, nice, good meaning people.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1384 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 01:08 PM

!!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1385 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 01:11 PM

Wasn’t SIPP’s former large economic goal bus stops at First Nations reserves in Beecher Bay? Or something along those lines?

They sent Mayor Helps to Ottawa to get an award that wasn’t awarded. BC Transit meanwhile now runs a route out that way.

So I dunno. It was all somewhat odd.

Know it all.

#1386 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 01:23 PM

The Sooke Chamber can’t even exist without taxpayer subsidy. What it’s role is when it can’t criticize the government it is meant to keep on its toes a little is anyone’s guess.

Maybe these institutions have lost their raison d’être in a modern world. Like the Freemasons.

I quit the chamber here because they were doing nothing for my area and businesses, and the products they offered (insurance, point of sale, etc) aren’t competitive with what we can get on our own. Took them a while to realize I quit. They focus on Ganges, which is fine, but why pay $400 a year for no representation or promotion.
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#1387 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 01:57 PM

...why pay $400 a year for no representation or promotion.

That was my feeling about having to pay union dues to the BCGEU for 30 years.

• Matt R. and DavidSchell like this

#1388 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 28 February 2023 - 02:55 PM

Wasn’t SIPP’s former large economic goal bus stops at First Nations reserves in Beecher Bay? Or something along those lines?

They sent Mayor Helps to Ottawa to get an award that wasn’t awarded. BC Transit meanwhile now runs a route out that way.

So I dunno. It was all somewhat odd.

did you attend any meetings?

I attended a couple and "adrift" fits. I've attended meetings and have no idea to whom they think they are accountable. 

Helps coopted them for that award process which worked, in the sense it got Helps noticed in Ottawa and nothing else. I'm not aware of any objectives since.

Originally, I thought it was someones idea to replace multiple Chamber memberships with a single chamber, but it seemed to turn into a tool for Helps' personal agendae. I watched her steamroll a meeting and destroy a strategic process by interrupting everyone and telling them what to do, and never went back.

Someone should give them something to do... 

#1389 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 02:56 PM

That was my feeling about having to pay union dues to the BCGEU for 30 years.

omg... you were one of Coccola's peeps?

Have you had him to dinner?

#1390 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 02:57 PM

omg... you were one of Coccola's peeps?

Have you had him to dinner?

teasing... i hope its obvious

#1391 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 02:58 PM

past tense?

#1392 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 03:11 PM

omg... you were one of Coccola's peeps?...

You lost me on this reference. This was the best I could find: https://www.coccolabeauty.ca/

#1393 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 03:17 PM

You lost me on this reference. This was the best I could find: https://www.coccolabeauty.ca/

https://www.bcgeu.ca/vice-presidents

JC seems to work very hard on behalf of TV, maybe more so last election. He's proven willing to say almost anything on SM... and is often in an awkward position as VP endorsing ideology that puts his workforce at risk. As example, he lined up with Helps, Isitt, Dubow, Loveday crowd about how the danger in BHP was all a middle-aged white male conspiracy when his own staff were taking their live in their hands.

#1394 Brighton

Brighton
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 03:17 PM

Regarding Centennial Square. I only lived in Victoria for a short time but I thought it was a reasonably nice square. Most cities around the world have a formal, central square, because it serves an important civic function. These squares rarely have daily programming. That cannot be expected. But when there was programming there, it was a wonderful and safe place.

The problems mentioned in this square are not unique to Victoria. They are happening all around Canada. My best experience is with a similar public space: Olympic plaza in Calgary. There are plenty of social disorder type of issues there and it's not always a pleasant place to be in. But it's not better or worse than what we have in Victoria. 

I think these are bigger social issues that are causing issues of disorder. I would recommend more policing as an obvious solution. Simply having a presence helps.

• Ismo07 likes this

#1395 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 03:19 PM

https://www.bcgeu.ca/vice-presidents

JC seems to work very hard on behalf of TV, maybe more so last election. He's proven willing to say almost anything on SM... and is often in an awkward position as VP endorsing ideology that puts his workforce at risk. As example, he lined up with Helps, Isitt, Dubow, Loveday crowd about how the danger in BHP was all a middle-aged white male conspiracy when his own staff were taking their live in their hands.

Who were JC's staff in BHP?  Does BCGEU have much to do with City of Vic?

Edited by Ismo07, 28 February 2023 - 03:19 PM.

#1396 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 03:20 PM

Regarding Centennial Square. I only lived in Victoria for a short time but I thought it was a reasonably nice square. Most cities around the world have a formal, central square, because it serves an important civic function. These squares rarely have daily programming. That cannot be expected. But when there was programming there, it was a wonderful and safe place.

The problems mentioned in this square are not unique to Victoria. They are happening all around Canada. My best experience is with a similar public space: Olympic plaza in Calgary. There are plenty of social disorder type of issues there and it's not always a pleasant place to be in. But it's not better or worse than what we have in Victoria. 

I think these are bigger social issues that are causing issues of disorder. I would recommend more policing as an obvious solution. Simply having a presence helps.

Yup and there will be programming there soon enough.

#1397 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 03:21 PM

Was there a drug dealing ring operating out of that Calgary square, just steps from a mayor’s ground floor office? That might have been a unique feature of Victoria’s square, if not.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#1398 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 03:22 PM

Just goes to show you how little attention I paid to the BCGEU. I had no idea to whom you were referring.

#1399 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 03:23 PM

oops

Edited by Ismo07, 28 February 2023 - 03:23 PM.

#1400 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 03:25 PM

Yup and there will be programming there soon enough.

Leaving a public hearing earlier in the month, I walked out of the square just to not walk past a group of people on that stage thing. I got such bad vibes that it wasn’t worth walking past. Likely nothing would have happened. But enough times, as we’ve heard, it has.

What if we just dumped this idea of a square and redeveloped it into housing?

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)