APPROVED
Harris Green Village, tower 1
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 900-block of Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 32
Harris Green Village, tower 1 is a proposal for a 32-storey mixed-use purpose-built rental tower with ground f... (view full profile)
Learn more about Harris Green Village, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] Harris Green Village & Harris Victoria Chrysler/Dodge redevelopment | Multi-phased; mixed-use | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
1571 replies to this topic

#1401 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 03:28 PM

...What if we just dumped this idea of a square and redeveloped it into housing?

Could we start by dumping the idea of/need for City Hall?

#1402 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 03:29 PM

Leaving a public hearing earlier in the month, I walked out of the square just to not walk past a group of people on that stage thing. I got such bad vibes that it wasn’t worth walking past. Likely nothing would have happened. But enough times, as we’ve heard, it has.

What if we just dumped this idea of a square and redeveloped it into housing?

There will be a plan for something I am sure.  Right now it'll still be programming this summer...  I walk through there everyday and yeah if you are hyper aware of every reported instance it will change your course.  Trust your gut.

• Mike K. likes this

#1403 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,012 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 05:46 AM

OK, it's been a couple weeks now, what do the proponents of Harris Green say about the parking?

#1404 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 06:55 AM

It’s a no-go. Either the City walks this back, or the project will not proceed.
  • Ismo07 and DavidSchell like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1405 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 07:13 AM

OK, it's been a couple weeks now, what do the proponents of Harris Green say about the parking?

Publicly they will say nothing as it doesn't benefit them at this stage. I m sure that there are lots of discussions with staff and then council will have to decide whether they can afford politically to walk this back or if one of their backers is ready to swoop in with their own proposal. 

#1406 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 07:17 AM

It’s a no-go. Either the City walks this back, or the project will not proceed.

Officially or are you projecting?

• Barrrister likes this

#1407 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 07:23 AM

My own musings.

And on May 1st the building code changes.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1408 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 07:24 AM

Publicly they will say nothing as it doesn't benefit them at this stage. I m sure that there are lots of discussions with staff and then council will have to decide whether they can afford politically to walk this back or if one of their backers is ready to swoop in with their own proposal.

Where are we getting this idea that someone else will swoop in? The land is privately held, it’s not going to be sold to someone else, and it remains the most central site in downtown Victoria. There are dozens of companies that want it.

Know it all.

#1409 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 07:27 AM

Where are we getting this idea that someone else will swoop in? The land is privately held, it’s not going to be sold to someone else, and it remains the most central site in downtown Victoria. There are dozens of companies that want it.

I think that if it becomes clear to Starlight that this proposal is not going to advance then they will sell to a local developer (backed by BC Housing) who will then submit their own proposal which will be approved.

Starlight would still make a bundle on the flip.

#1410 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 07:30 AM

I’m afraid I don’t see it. Starlight will make more by redeveloping the land themselves. Five towers, A-class retail and retailers. It’s a long-term play. And they have so much land banked in Victoria-CRD that they will be here developing for a long time. Harris Green will eventually become a jewel in the crown.
  • DavidSchell likes this

Know it all.

#1411 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 07:31 AM

I’m afraid I don’t see it. Starlight will make more by redeveloping the land themselves. Five towers, A-class retail and retailers. It’s a long-term play. And they have so much land banked in Victoria-CRD that they will be here developing for a long time. Harris Green will eventually become a jewel in the crown.

32 floors in the capital, downtown.  That's why I can see this working out somehow.

#1412 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 07:35 AM

Housing Twitter is already calling for 40-storeys to make up for the loss of downtown office workers, so fighting over 32, to be built in a decade, might not be the good fight.
  • DavidSchell and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#1413 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 08:22 AM

Can you explain the impact of the building code changes on May1st? Is this step code five? Will this add a lot to costs or will i change things much? I am not as familiar with this as I should be.

#1414 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 08:24 AM

I would have thought that if the province moves thousands of jobs out of downtown that this would actually reduce demand for housing here.

#1415 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 12:00 PM

20% higher energy efficiency than the base code today.

That’s going to impact the finances, in a big way, of these projects.

Know it all.

#1416 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 12:41 PM

More affordable housing through higher costs.

• Barrrister likes this

#1417 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 03:02 PM

I would have thought that most modern high-rises were pretty energy efficient to start with? Is this going to mean a lot smaller windows as well? How much does it add to costs?

#1418 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 03:04 PM

I would have thought that most modern high-rises were pretty energy efficient to start with? Is this going to mean a lot smaller windows as well? How much does it add to costs?

Smaller windows or preferably less windows can decrease build costs, but it's at the expense of appeal.  Less balconies can also decrease energy use.  Again, at the cost of appeal to purchasers or renters.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 March 2023 - 03:05 PM.

#1419 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 03:11 PM

Excessively small windows reminds me; has anyone moved into HP-2 aka Hudson House yet?

#1420 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 01:32 PM

“Non-binding” doesn’t mean what they think it does.

4E5B966F-C1A5-4B53-946E-D40B1881DCA8.jpeg

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users