APPROVED
Harris Green Village, tower 1
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 900-block of Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 32
Harris Green Village, tower 1 is a proposal for a 32-storey mixed-use purpose-built rental tower with ground f... (view full profile)
Learn more about Harris Green Village, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] Harris Green Village & Harris Victoria Chrysler/Dodge redevelopment | Multi-phased; mixed-use | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
1565 replies to this topic

#1461 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 10:35 AM

BC government is involved in 1050 Yates?

BC Pension fund wasn't it?

#1462 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 11:16 AM

I believe it is funded through Alberta, but I will ask around.

• baconnbits likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1463 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 02:37 PM

No BC gov dollars in this project, I am told.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1464 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 707 posts

Posted 06 April 2023 - 02:09 PM

Looks like the city and Starlite have been able to come to o a compromise. 1500 new housing units incoming
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#1465 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 06 April 2023 - 02:24 PM

What was the compromise, is Starlight providing extra doctors and hospital beds for the new residents? 

#1466 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 06 April 2023 - 02:25 PM

8-1 vote, sole dissenter was C. Hammond.

Victoria council agrees to Starlight Developments' Harris Green Village parking strategy following public hearing snafu

https://victoria.cit...-hearing-snafu/

Edited by Citified.ca, 06 April 2023 - 02:49 PM.

• Nparker likes this
Know it all.

#1467 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 707 posts

Posted 06 April 2023 - 02:42 PM

Wait wasn't it Hammond who opposed. This would be an awkward tweet if true https://twitter.com/...8798753792?s=20

#1468 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 06 April 2023 - 02:50 PM

Oops! Yes indeed it was, I had Hammond on the brain, Thompson on the keyboard!

Thank you for catching that.

• GaryOak likes this
Know it all.

#1469 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 06 April 2023 - 04:41 PM

What was finally agreed upon?

#1470 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 06 April 2023 - 04:56 PM

It all worked out, as it nearly always does after a big fuss.

#1471 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 707 posts

Posted 06 April 2023 - 04:58 PM

I think it's that phase 2 and 3 will follow whatever parking requirements are in the parking bylaw even if council decides to change them between now and then. So that they won't have separate guidelines to follow that other developments won't have. It looks like council is mature enough to acknowledge when they rushed things.

#1472 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 06 April 2023 - 05:07 PM

Starlight said it intends to break ground this year on the first phase of the project, at 1045 Yates St., which used to house an auto dealership. That phase includes purpose-built rental residential towers of 21 and 20 storeys, nearly half an acre of green space for a community park, a daycare and retail.

The second and third phases that will come out of the ground on the 900 block of Yates would include three residential towers ranging in height between 28 and 32 storeys, a half-acre park and community space to be programmed by the City of Victoria.

Mayor Marianne Alto said she was delighted to see the project come to fruition.

“This is, I believe, if not the, then one of the most grand applications in the city’s history with regard to housing,” she said. “This certainly is one of the largest examples of making very intentional decisions that council’s had the opportunity to undertake. This certainly will have a tremendous, and I hope, I believe, positive impact on the evolution of the homes for people.”

Shauna Dudding, Starlight’s executive director, said the project, called Harris Green Village, represents an opportunity to create a vibrant, urban, mixed-use community that is both diverse and inclusive. “Purpose-built rentals are a critical aspect of the revitalization of this neighbourhood and we are honoured to be an integral part of the process.”

https://www.timescol...is-year-6823274

Alto:  This certainly will have a tremendous, and I hope, I believe, positive impact on the evolution of the homes for people.   :confused: 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 April 2023 - 05:08 PM.

#1473 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 06 April 2023 - 05:14 PM

Clearly, Alto became fluent in gobbledygook after 8 years of lessons from her predecessor.

• DavidSchell, mbjj and Barrrister like this

#1474 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 06 April 2023 - 07:34 PM

Great news; I'm going out to buy a large bag of popcorn in anticipation of the fun and fireworks on Facebook and other social media when word of this gets out - you just know Victoria's "....angry/cranky/anti-height-at-all-costs/we look more and more just like mini-Vancouver!!!..." crowd will be all over this one. I can hear the wailing and whining and moaning and gnashing of teeth already......

• Matt R., grantpalin, DavidSchell and 1 other like this

#1475 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 06 April 2023 - 08:50 PM

Big W for housing supply, big L For surface parking lots.

#1476 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 07:43 AM

So the cabal had to back down, but they get another chance to screw things up when Starlight comes back for phase 2. Seems like short term gain for long term pain. In any event, let’s hope the cabal learnt something, but I doubt it.
  • Nparker and DavidSchell like this

#1477 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 08:02 AM

...Seems like short term gain for long term pain...

This for sure. You know it won't be long before the CoV announces parking maximums for all new developments.

• DavidSchell likes this

#1478 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 08:29 AM

Lessons have been learned.

And Victoria became the talk of Canada for a while there.

Know it all.

#1479 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 08:46 AM

Lessons have been learned.

And Victoria became the talk of Canada for a while there.

What about the acceleration of the building code changes that were approved last night. Any chance there will be an impact there?

#1480 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 09:47 AM

What about the acceleration of the building code changes that were approved last night. Any chance there will be an impact there?

It's almost certain to impact affordability.

#greenpocrisy

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users