APPROVED
Harris Green Village, tower 1
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 900-block of Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 32
Harris Green Village, tower 1 is a proposal for a 32-storey mixed-use purpose-built rental tower with ground f... (view full profile)
Learn more about Harris Green Village, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] Harris Green Village & Harris Victoria Chrysler/Dodge redevelopment | Multi-phased; mixed-use | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
1565 replies to this topic

#141 victorian

victorian
  • 47 posts
  • LocationHarris Green

Posted 01 June 2019 - 01:51 PM

Whoops. Sorry. I know we're not supposed to make reference to good things elsewhere in Victoria. My bad.

Is the Public Market a good thing? I love the idea, but they are struggling. I hope they can figure out a formula for success. The new tower development may help.

#142 victorian

victorian
  • 47 posts
  • LocationHarris Green

Posted 01 June 2019 - 01:53 PM

Why is it so hard for you to admit that the strip mall format doesn't belong in downtown Victoria and that a new development could provide a wider range of important services to even more people? Are you trying to prevent more people from accessing a wider range of important services? I hope not. That's not very nice.

I have 'admitted' to all of those things! I'm totally on board with all of that 100%. It's all in the thread above.

#143 victorian

victorian
  • 47 posts
  • LocationHarris Green

Posted 01 June 2019 - 01:54 PM

If your friends really do regard the strip mall as a destination and a great place to spend leisure time then that's great. Now just imagine if the strip mall was replaced by something much better. After the first hour your friends wouldn't even be able to remember what the strip mall was like.

That's what I'm hoping for! There's room for a million percent improvement for sure.

#144 victorian

victorian
  • 47 posts
  • LocationHarris Green

Posted 01 June 2019 - 02:06 PM

victorian, your passion for defending Harris Green's modern strip mall is very evident. How would you say your passion for defending this strip mall compared to your passion for defending the old Catholic school building on the corner of Pandora and Vancouver?

One of the neighbourhood's defining old character buildings facing outright demolition and replacement with a completely different use, versus a modern shopping centre facing replacement by a new shopping centre. Would you say you were one hundred times more upset about the old Catholic school building? Or would you say you were more upset than that?

You care so much about the Harris Green neighbourhood, about its architecture and its character, so it follows that you must have been very, very, very upset. I wouldn't mind revisiting some of your posts about it on this board, if you can please direct me to them. Or maybe you were so extremely upset about it that you didn't post anything at all? If so, I would certainly understand that.

I ask because sometimes Victorians can be inscrutably selective re: the buildings they'll defend as versus the buildings they won't care one bit about defending. Sometimes Victorians can be inscrutably selective re: the aspects of a neighbourhood that they'll want to preserve as versus the aspects of a neighbourhood that they won't care one bit about preserving. So it's always refreshing to find someone who isn't so inscrutably selective, and to hear their take on things.

I definitely am passionate about Harris Green. The reason? I live here. The built environment of Harris Green isn't an idea or theory - it's my life. My selective interest in Harris Green Village is based on my use of it every single day. Obviously, I cannot have the same level of physical and emotional attachment to every building in the city, province, or world. As a result of my interest in Harris Green, I decided to find out more and to find other Victorians passionate about the neighbourhood. I thought that's what this forum was for. I was not under the impression that VV was only for people who have a detached objective view of every neighbourhood or building, and not for those with a personal interest.

Look, you don't like HGV and you won't tolerate anyone who does. That's fine. You're a principled person. But so am I. So far, you've only made condescending remarks to me, a newbie. Your participation is voluntary - you don't have to engage with me if you have nothing positive to say. But I don't want to be spending my Saturday reading this kind of elitist gatekeeping nonsense. Thanks.

Edited by victorian, 01 June 2019 - 02:12 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#145 victorian

victorian
  • 47 posts
  • LocationHarris Green

Posted 01 June 2019 - 02:10 PM

If people like the small storefronts in the strip mall then the new development should have some small storefronts, too. Can a new shopping centre do small storefronts as well or better than an old strip mall can do them? I'd say Uptown provides an answer to that question.

If people like the outdoor aspect of the strip mall then the new development should have outdoor space, too. Can a new shopping centre do outdoor spaces as well or better than an old strip mall can do them? I'd say Uptown provides an answer to that question.

If people like the trees and benches facing Yates then the new development should have trees and benches, and a nice square and fountains, too.

If people like surface parking in the heart of downtown then deal with all parking going underground. Better late than never to deal with it. It will make the entire experience of the shopping centre that much more pleasant. Uptown provides an answer yet again: imagine if the main street at Uptown didn't allow cars on it.

That's the dream! This would be a vision I could get behind.

#146 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 03:10 PM

Considering there have been exactly zero renderings or even the most basic concept sketches of what might replace the structures at the existing Harris Green Village (I have lived here so long I still remember when it was called Wilson Centre), I think we can all take a collective deep breath and have some confidence that what evolves here will probably incorporate the best of what currently exists while adding numerous elements that will make it better.

• victorian and Casual Kev like this

#147 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:21 PM

If I was a betting man, I’d say the MoY and Harris Dodge properties are redevoped sooner than the “village”.

#148 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:23 PM

So you haven't really been in there in the last couple of years then or you would know that they have but in two massive long tables with chairs that people sit and chat at all the time. It really is a vibrant space. ]

The benches have been there since the Atrium was built.

There’s usually a couple dozen people in there. Not Union Station, but still a well used semi public space.

#149 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 01 June 2019 - 08:43 PM

In a perfect world.. we'd see this site as the new location for the downtown library, the new Y (two level with plenty of glass windows so those of us working out can watch the world below - plus a some affordable Y style hostel rentals), expanded Market on Yates, rental, retail, office, etc.  Make these two lots the centre of the community for those living downtown, where you can chill and hang out, while Douglas retains more of the office worker/faster paced transit/in corridor.

Can't quite find what I'm looking for in terms of other images, something modern, but not the already dated style of library we've seen in Halifax and Calgary.  A courtyard, but one with dozens and dozens of windows from multi-terraced dwellings facing directly in to avoid vandalism, petty crimes, heck even big crimes.

Here's a couple images that are vaguely suggestive of what I'm thinking of - modern style but not too glassy, flashy or boxy. 

San Francisco proposal from SocketSite.  The middle building, but on a smaller scale, and double height first floor could fit it on either end (Vancouver or Quadra) with a smaller building with the courtyard in the middle where London Drugs is now.

490-Brannan-Rendering.jpg

Danish Government Agency building from ArchDaily.com

Kalvebod_Brygge_Fra_Oplevelsessti.jpg?14

Perhaps even some mass timber buildings, such as this one:

exterior-rendering-of-framework.jpg

Or this one in Brisbane:

170209_Hero.jpg?width=2147483647&height=

Edited by zoomer, 01 June 2019 - 08:44 PM.

• thundergun and victorian like this

#150 rsnxmt

rsnxmt
  • 53 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:48 AM

I've lived in harris green for over 10 years. I am also raising a toddler here.

I agree with @victorian in that I make heavy use of HGV - london drugs and the market on yates are critical (and especially nice to have nearby to make sleep deprived parents' lives a bit more convenient). I agree the stakes are high because it is such a busy center for the area.

I also agree with the general sentiment of how dated the design is. I don't hang out there but I could see people using the spaces. I bring my toddler with me and it's a little hair raising with cars all over the place. There is (semi) underground parking too, off view street :)

I love taking my toddler to open public spaces. We have fun climbing on the wooden UFO shapes in the atrium building (on our way to somewhere else in town). HGV would be a much better place for that kind of thing too without the cars on the surface lots!

Harris Green is a tough place for a family in terms of practical living space - we are squeezed here and I am bummed to say we'll be leaving soon :(

I'm fascinated by the Espana development in Vancouver - right downtown there, a mix of mid-rise and tower on a podium, with a community space in the middle - with lots of room for street front space. Mind you, that is community space for people that live there so perhaps that might be more appropriate for the dodge dealership space than HGV itself - but you never know.

See link here to show what I mean of the development

Regardless, the option for more than just 2bedroom spaces and more family friendly spaces would be awesome.

• Mike K. and victorian like this

#151 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:04 AM

Is the Public Market a good thing?

Somebody made reference to a painted concrete condo development in Vancouver so I was just showing a much nicer project from Victoria.

If, on the other hand, the Vancouver example was offered because of its tenants (Starbucks, a small Staples store, dollar store, etc.) then we don't have anything to worry about because those are standard-issue tenants. Nothing special there.

#152 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:34 AM

Somebody made reference to a painted concrete condo development in Vancouver so I was just showing a much nicer project from Victoria.

If, on the other hand, the Vancouver example was offered because of its tenants (Starbucks, a small Staples store, dollar store, etc.) then we don't have anything to worry about because those are standard-issue tenants. Nothing special there.

I was using it as an example of scale and pedestrian focus that I thought would be appropriate for Harris green block. Its basically bisected by a cross shape of interior court yards with retail and it works.

#153 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:44 AM

I get it, that's why I offered a local example of similar scale and pedestrian focus. Somebody asked why Victoria doesn't have good stuff like that. Victoria does have good stuff like that. Much better stuff, in fact. We just never refer to it. We're always looking elsewhere, always trying to reinvent the wheel, etc.

#154 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:54 AM

If we're going to refer to Vancouver stuff then how about those great little mixed-use lowrise buildings that Vancouver does so well? Victoria has resisted the trend for the most part, and whenever Victoria has dared to give it a try it tends to overthink what should be very simple.

• tedward and victorian like this

#155 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:56 AM

The above would be awesome as a replacement for some of the end-of-their-life structures in the Cook Street Village.

#156 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:07 AM

The above would be awesome as a replacement for some of the end-of-their-life structures in the Cook Street Village.

Agreed. Also Quadra Village.
  • Nparker likes this

#157 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:39 AM

Next Thursday is the first of two public engagement sessions. If you’d like to participate in deciding on the future of Starlight’s properties ensure you attend one or both sessions.

To help craft the overall vision for its nearly two blocks of Yates and View streets holdings, Starlight is planning two initial community information and feedback sessions for June 13th (5-8PM) and 15th (11AM-2PM) during which members of the community will have the opportunity to learn more about its plans and engage with company representatives. Both sessions will be held at the Christ Church Cathedral's Chapel of the New Jerusalem located mid-way up the 900-block of Burdett Avenue (between Quadra and Vancouver streets).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#158 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:27 PM

Just a reminder that this Thursday is the first of two community meetings for this project. They’ll both be held at 930 Burdett.

- Thursday, June 13, 5 pm – 8 pm
- Saturday, June 15, 11 am – 2 pm

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#159 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 10 July 2019 - 02:29 PM

Ten-on-the-10th-July-2019-C.jpg

Ten on the 10th: Harris Green redevelopment Q&A with Mark Chemij of Starlight Investments

https://victoria.cit...ht-investments/

Know it all.

#160 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 09:43 AM

I could be wrong but I sense that the preference here will be for rentals (not condos) based on Starlight’s current portfolio...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)