• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:07 PM

There’s trouble-a-brewin’ in Cowtown.

Municipal taxes levied against small businesses have shot through the roof as Calgary’s mayor pursues a social agenda that constituents say is placing a big burden on taxpayers.

Stay tuned for more.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:13 PM

There’s trouble-a-brewin’ in Cowtown.

Municipal taxes levied against small businesses have shot through the roof as Calgary’s mayor pursues a social agenda that constituents say is placing a big burden on taxpayers.

Stay tuned for more.

Result I'm seeing is that:

• Mayor and Council unanimously passed a 10% reduction to commercial tax (a value of $130.9M)
  • Mayor will write a letter to the Province asking for property tax and assessment reform

#3 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:15 PM

Notable titbit: policing represents the biggest chunk of the budget, and they will not be exempt from the anticipated $60M in cost cutting measures the City will undertake in order to offset the tax reduction

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:50 PM

Ah, so this was the decision handed down today?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:30 AM

Ah, so this was the decision handed down today?

Your post came while Council was in session :)

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:33 AM

Ah, thank you!

So heavy pressure from the public, even a white collar protest at City Hall had an effect. From what I saw on social media and some reports, people are frothing-at-the-mouth furious with Calgary's elected officials.

Know it all.

#7 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:54 AM

Yes, it seems that some change was effected at City Hall yesterday. Nenshi was very clear that when the revised budget is brought forward in July, he does not want to see any Councillor complaining if their favourite project has been cut. The $60M budget cut was agreed on unanimously, after all. Will be interesting to see what gets the chopping block, as there was discussion involving everything from capital projects (just those that haven't started), policing, front line services, and the use of contractors.

#8 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:12 AM

Here's a CBC article on yesterday's Council meeting: https://www.cbc.ca/n...uncil-1.5170208

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:18 AM

The comments section is gold, gold I tell you!

Sounds like a 12.5% pay raise to municipal staff, millions wasted on an epic Olympic bid failure and general overspending have come home to roost.

Know it all.

#10 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:00 AM

doesnt Calgary Council have a gold plated pension plan?

https://calgaryheral...mbined-watchdog

and business taxes have increase for some 100% or even more in 5 years

https://calgaryheral...y-in-five-years

and I imagine heres the reasons why folks are pi$$ed at council incompetence

Just perusing the career opportunities available at city hall proves that point. The city is seeking to hire a Co-ordinator of Cycling — to be paid anywhere from $88,307 to $137,252 annually for a 35-hour work week with an extra day off every three weeks — to the already flush Liveable Streets division of Transportation Planning. As if that’s not enough, the city also has a job for a new Co-ordinator of Walking, for the same amount of pay in the same department. This is not a joke.

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:57 AM

I suspect the business community is reacting the way it is as it can’t just get up and leave to a neighbouring municipality with less onerous business taxation. Calgary’s dysfunction and financial crisis can’t be escaped if you’re a business owner, unless you relocate out of the city entirely.

In Victoria business owners have 12 other options to choose from if their business is being politically affected in its current location. And I sense Calgary’s woes are going to serve as yet another obstacle to the CRD’s amalgamation efforts.

Know it all.

#12 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 10:45 AM

"coordinator of walking"? I think I saw that on Monty Python.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users